Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Trivia  (Read 5502 times)

Steve McClellan

Game Show Trivia
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2004, 06:06:20 PM »
8, 8, and 8. What can I say---I'm boring! :)

Esoteric Eric

Game Show Trivia
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2004, 12:20:23 AM »
8 / 10, 8 / 8, and 10 / 10.

Thanks to Skynet74 (from your fellow Northeast Broadcasting School (RIP) graduate) and WJAR NBC 10 for the diversion.

Esoteric Eric, wondering just when TV station call letters will become completely obsolete (after searching turnto10.com to see if they were still using their calls from my New England days)
Eric Smallman; "...I don't think God ever forgave me for Phyllis Newman..." - "Jimmy Carter" (Dan Aykroyd), SNL, 1976

aaron sica

Game Show Trivia
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2004, 12:28:43 AM »
[quote name=\'Esoteric Eric\' date=\'Sep 15 2004, 12:20 AM\'] Esoteric Eric, wondering just when TV station call letters will become completely obsolete (after searching turnto10.com to see if they were still using their calls from my New England days) [/quote]
 I actually think just the opposite....It's the channel numbers that will actually lose out. The channel numbers are, for the most part, still analog. Sure, for WHP-TV 21 (Harrisburg) with a station ID, you'll still see WHP-DT 4. But the day is soon coming when the analog channels will cease to exist, and I can't see all the stations changing their logos with their new DT Channel number. I think they will just be known with their call letters. Two PBS stations in Harrisburg and Scranton, WITF and WVIA, have been using their call letters exclusively for over 10 years with no reference to their channel #'s (33 and 44, respectively).

Esoteric Eric

Game Show Trivia
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2004, 12:56:01 AM »
True, especially when the over-the-air channel number is different from where the local cable company/ies put it in the lineup.

I just realized that my comment had its basis in the "KISS 108 - HOT 94 - 96X"- etc. labels that radio stations have been using for years.  

Still, here in the Puget Sound area, most people couldn't tell you that "WB22" (one example) is KTWB, even though those who have cable could tell you that it's cable position is Channel 10.

Esoteric Eric...  Obgameshows: Can't help thinking that would make a good Seattle Street Smarts question, since WB22 now airs Smarts twice in late night (11 PM and 1 AM, sandwiching the gawdawful dating shows)
Eric Smallman; "...I don't think God ever forgave me for Phyllis Newman..." - "Jimmy Carter" (Dan Aykroyd), SNL, 1976

Craig Karlberg

Game Show Trivia
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2004, 05:26:18 AM »
And I thought the government put a mandate out that all brodcast Tv stations must convert from analog to digital signals by 2006.  Somehow, I don't see that happening anytime soon because HDTV is still a bit too expensive right now & they probably don't  have enough converters available to make the transition.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2004, 05:27:01 AM by Craig Karlberg »

GS Warehouse

Game Show Trivia
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2004, 10:55:40 AM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Sep 15 2004, 12:28 AM\'] [quote name=\'Esoteric Eric\' date=\'Sep 15 2004, 12:20 AM\'] Esoteric Eric, wondering just when TV station call letters will become completely obsolete (after searching turnto10.com to see if they were still using their calls from my New England days) [/quote]
I actually think just the opposite....It's the channel numbers that will actually lose out. The channel numbers are, for the most part, still analog. Sure, for WHP-TV 21 (Harrisburg) with a station ID, you'll still see WHP-DT 4. But the day is soon coming when the analog channels will cease to exist, and I can't see all the stations changing their logos with their new DT Channel number. I think they will just be known with their call letters. Two PBS stations in Harrisburg and Scranton, WITF and WVIA, have been using their call letters exclusively for over 10 years with no reference to their channel #'s (33 and 44, respectively). [/quote]
 A few stations might be going through such a transition already, but I found something odd about the ABC station in Battle Creek, MI.  Officially, WOTV is still channel 41, but now it's calling itself WOTV 4, because it is channel 4 on every cable system that carries it.  However, its DT channel number is 20.

WWMT 3 -> 2; WOOD 8 -> 7; WZZM 13 -> 39; WOTV 41 -> 20; WGVU 35 -> 10; WGVK 52 -> 5

ObGS: Sadly, PBS stations 35 and 52 don't carry Quizbusters.  Matt's J! appearance marked the first time I saw what he looked like.

aaron sica

Game Show Trivia
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2004, 12:53:54 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Sep 15 2004, 10:55 AM\'] A few stations might be going through such a transition already, but I found something odd about the ABC station in Battle Creek, MI.  Officially, WOTV is still channel 41, but now it's calling itself WOTV 4, because it is channel 4 on every cable system that carries it.  However, its DT channel number is 20.
 [/quote]
 Actually, there are other stations that do *THAT*, too. I'm not sure where in NC (Charlotte, maybe?) but the station is 36 on the UHF dial, and calls itself "NBC 6", because that's where it's located on most of the cable systems, dial position 6.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Game Show Trivia
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2004, 02:13:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Sep 15 2004, 02:26 AM\'] And I thought the government put a mandate out that all brodcast Tv stations must convert from analog to digital signals by 2006.  Somehow, I don't see that happening anytime soon because HDTV is still a bit too expensive right now & they probably don't  have enough converters available to make the transition. [/quote]
 You are, for a change, correct. And you're right, that deadline is looking kind of unrealistic because the public isn't exactly scamperign to Best Buy to snap up HDTV's when the cable companies are still being dicky with broadcasters about whose signals they will and will not carry.

Of course, it was the FCC who deregulated cable so that said dickyness could happen in the first place.

FCC, that's a well-made bed. Snuggle up.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe