Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Milking great themes  (Read 4845 times)

JMFabiano

Milking great themes
« on: September 26, 2004, 12:08:04 AM »
Now, in the Best/Worst themes thread, I started talking about theme music that, when edited or spun-off somehow, made great cues during the shows.  I wonder which ones are your favorites.  To get the ball rolling...

- Password Plus: Already mentioned this one, I like the "going to Alphabetics" version and the win jingle in the front game that the theme inspired.
- Card Sharks '78: It's all about the "Let's open the board and get to the cards!"/Money Cards cue here.  Makes bringing forth the board(s) more exciting.
- Wheel of Fortune (Big Wheels): The BW inspired puzzle solve music was great, and accurately described once by I think Mandel Ilagan as providing an upbeat ending to the round.  The sample of BW used to introduce the hostess was very good too.
- Wheel of Fortune (Changing Keys '83): Not to slight the puzzle solve fanfare of this era!
- Match Game/Hollywood Squares: Like the fee plug and outro versions.
- Hot Potato: Like the round and match win jingles.  

I have several more, I'm sure, but if I continue on who knows when I'd stop :-)
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

SamJ93

Milking great themes
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2004, 12:17:58 AM »
Match Game '90 is the first one that comes to my mind.  I always liked the harmonica riff on the main theme that they used for going out of commercials, among other purposes.

Let's see...J! of course is also a classic, with its energetic main theme, and then a quieter, simpler arrangement for the Final J! "think" music.  Oh yeah, can't forget Millionaire...they pretty much milk that eight-note theme for all it's worth.

--Sam
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

Robert Hutchinson

Milking great themes
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2004, 12:53:28 AM »
Just about all of the (Wink's) Tic Tac Dough cues.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Craig Karlberg

Milking great themes
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2004, 04:17:50 AM »
Talk about milking themes & cues:

TPIR:  "Dig We Must" is a good one when the player wins money in the SCSD.

Family Feud:  Some of the face-off cues are good ones too especially the harmonica one.

Tic Tac Dough:  When Wink enters the stage, the music's saying "Let's get the show started".  Also, when the contestants are introduced, that gets milked pretty good.

mystery7

Milking great themes
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2004, 10:28:54 AM »
Wink's Tic Tac Dough had the Definitive think music. As I've grown older, I've found that Minimoog voice on the main theme less and less appealing, but there are days I can appreciate it.

I also like the music on Bullseye for the contestant's arrival on Bonus Island.

And (this is me talking) no music makes A NEW CAR! sound more exciting than TTD's car music. (JM, ya hear those bongos again?)

Uh oh...I feel another music thread coming on.

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
Milking great themes
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2004, 10:32:17 AM »
To me, the MGHSH theme is the BEST car cue TPIR has, and it just adds to Rod's/Rich's scream of "A NEW CAR!!!"

LMAD '84 had that rather majestic opening to its theme, which could easily get the viewer's attention.
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

Don Howard

Milking great themes
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2004, 10:33:55 AM »
I got a kick out of the music played as a trip to Las Vegas was being described during the bonus round prize package descriptions on the B&E shows. It was also used when Jay Stewart described what the $50,000 Tournament Of Champions winner would receive on The Joker's Wild in 1977.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2004, 10:34:33 AM by Don Howard »

gsnstooge

Milking great themes
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2004, 10:58:05 AM »
On Newlywed Game 77-80, I liked the theme part when they were done with the wives guessing the husbands' predictions.  Merv Griffin's WOF theme had better shopping music and solving the puzzle fanfare than Big Wheels.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2004, 03:59:53 PM by gsnstooge »

tyshaun1

Milking great themes
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2004, 02:53:10 PM »
PYL (win cue and "piano" version of the main theme )
'80's Pyramid (bonus win theme reprisal)
Wipeout (bonus round win cue)

Come to think of it, win music is the best part of a GS' music package. OK, Your Number's Up's win music sucked, but most others were solid. ;)

Tyshaun

ChuckNet

Milking great themes
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2004, 09:27:07 PM »
I liked the 70s TT commercial outro cue, which added a nice harp part, and  the fee/ticket plug cue, which was basically a loop of the main theme bridge, but w/some interesting variance therein.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

uncamark

Milking great themes
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2004, 01:50:19 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Sep 26 2004, 09:33 AM\'] I got a kick out of the music played as a trip to Las Vegas was being described during the bonus round prize package descriptions on the B&E shows. It was also used when Jay Stewart described what the $50,000 Tournament Of Champions winner would receive on The Joker's Wild in 1977. [/quote]
 Which was one of the few non-Hidey cues they used (it was used in "TJW"'s 1977-78 season, when it was all "The Savers" and the stock cues--for Vegas trips).

ChuckNet

Milking great themes
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2004, 10:10:10 PM »
Which was one of the few non-Hidey cues they used (it was used in "TJW"'s 1977-78 season, when it was all "The Savers" and the stock cues--for Vegas trips).

One of those cues, Shopping Centre, can be found on the album Music For TV Dinners: The 60s, along w/a CBS-era stock cue, Pop Promotion.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")