Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Virtual Basic experts needed  (Read 3627 times)

Sonic Whammy

Virtual Basic experts needed
« on: September 28, 2004, 11:14:34 PM »
Hey, guys.

I'm in a search for anyone that knows Virtual Basic.

Some of you downloaded Brian Dominy's original classic Press Your Luck program PYL Control several years ago. Well, the program, as you know, is in DOS Virtual Basic. And I can't run it on my computer because XP is too fast for it. Instead, I have my old laptop Christina doing the dirty work of that program. Ultimately, though, Christina's due for a new body. But to do that, I would need to first make this old DOS program XP-compliant.

If anyone here knows Virtual Basic well enough to kick this idea around, seek me out, please.
Brian Sapinski

Just Brian Sapinski... for now

WhammyPower

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2004, 07:43:00 AM »
Psst.  I'll let you in on a secret.  Somebody else based his Windows GameControl on Dominy's DOS original.

mmb5

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2004, 08:52:58 AM »
[quote name=\'Sonic Whammy\' date=\'Sep 28 2004, 10:14 PM\']
If anyone here knows Virtual Basic well enough to kick this idea around, seek me out, please. [/quote]
 Uh, it's Visual Basic.

And unless you were given the actual code, all of the knowledge of Visual Basic in the world isn't going to help you.  You want a "slow down" program.  Look at this:

http://www.hpaa.com/moslo/

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Sonic Whammy

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2004, 11:12:41 PM »
[quote name=\'WhammyPower\' date=\'Sep 29 2004, 06:43 AM\'] Psst.  I'll let you in on a secret.  Somebody else based his Windows GameControl on Dominy's DOS original. [/quote]
 Hey, this'll do just fine. I totally forgot that Jason did this, it's been a while since I last talked to him.

Thanks for passing this on. I'm sure now Christina will be very happy to get out of her old shell.

Only thing I have to figure out here now is how to make so that I can move the window... I'll have to work on that...
Brian Sapinski

Just Brian Sapinski... for now

GS Warehouse

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2004, 12:25:43 AM »
[quote name=\'Sonic Whammy\' date=\'Sep 29 2004, 11:12 PM\'] [quote name=\'WhammyPower\' date=\'Sep 29 2004, 06:43 AM\'] Psst.  I'll let you in on a secret.  Somebody else based his Windows GameControl on Dominy's DOS original. [/quote]
Hey, this'll do just fine. I totally forgot that Jason did this, it's been a while since I last talked to him. [/quote]
 Thanks for the plug, WhammyPower.  I was almost ready to chime in, but I actually thought "Virtual Basic" was something different from "Visual Basic" (thanks for clearing it up, Mike).  When it comes time to upgrade to v6.0, I'm thinking about making the slides a little more realistic still.

"Virtual Basic"...that's about up there with "Ten-Gallon Cat". :-D

Coming soon to the Game Show Warehouse...Card Sharks: The Perry Era!