Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Original Supermarket Sweep episode  (Read 5631 times)

Bob Zager

Original Supermarket Sweep episode
« on: October 04, 2004, 11:41:07 AM »
That's the good news!  The not-so-good-news, is that it is a kinescope.

A lot of kinescopes really sell well, and for a lot of more than the starting bid of $49.95.  Sometimes, the eventual seller/buyer makes copies availiable on tape later.

Here's a link to it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ssPageName=WDVW

aaron sica

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2004, 12:52:41 PM »
Wow does that episode ever bring back a blast from the past....."Food Fair".....
There were some of those around Harrisburg as well - you can still tell the remnants by their tall sign that used to reach up to the skies...

tvrandywest

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2004, 02:07:42 PM »
Episode #1: Food Fair, Elmont, NY

If anyone here buys the kine, please let me know. Al Howard and I would enjoy (and pay for) a transfer to DVD or VHS. Thanks.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: October 04, 2004, 02:08:11 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

MrBuddwing

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2004, 02:41:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Bob Zager\' date=\'Oct 4 2004, 10:41 AM\']
That's the good news!  The not-so-good-news, is that it is a kinescope.

::shrug:: What were you hoping for? A two-inch quad master?

Yes, kinescopes are only a shadow of videotaped originals, but given the general destruction rate of tapes (especially earlier game shows), kinescopes are invaluable.

tvwxman

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2004, 02:46:54 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Oct 4 2004, 01:07 PM\']Episode #1: Food Fair, Elmont, NY

If anyone here buys the kine, please let me know. Al Howard and I would enjoy (and pay for) a transfer to DVD or VHS. Thanks.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
[snapback]59495[/snapback]
[/quote]

and..if there are enough folk who want to split the cost, i'll go in , in exchange for a first run copy!
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2004, 03:20:38 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Oct 4 2004, 02:46 PM\'][quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Oct 4 2004, 01:07 PM\']Episode #1: Food Fair, Elmont, NY

If anyone here buys the kine, please let me know. Al Howard and I would enjoy (and pay for) a transfer to DVD or VHS. Thanks.[/quote]

and..if there are enough folk who want to split the cost, i'll go in , in exchange for a first run copy![/quote]

Great idea, Matt.  I'm more than willing to contribute to its purchase in exchange for a copy.

RMF

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2004, 04:05:08 PM »
I propose that

1) One person bids for the kine, and that

2) if that person wins, the people that wish to transfere it to VHS/DVD band declare themselves and reimburse the buyer of the kine to the amount of (purchase price/X), with x being the number of interested people.

Finally, 3) the people that contributed (purchase price/x) get a VHS/DVD copy.

So, who volunteers to be the bidder?

(I, having just written a major check, can not do this.)

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2004, 04:12:24 PM »
[quote name=\'RMF\' date=\'Oct 4 2004, 04:05 PM\']I propose that

1) One person bids for the kine, and that

2) if that person wins, the people that wish to transfere it to VHS/DVD band declare themselves and reimburse the buyer of the kine to the amount of (purchase price/X), with x being the number of interested people.

Finally, 3) the people that contributed (purchase price/x) get a VHS/DVD copy.
[/quote]

Good in theory but #s 2 and 3 should be (purchase price + cost of transferring + postage)/x.  I've run deals like this in the past, only to end up paying out the wazoo because the other services weren't factored into the equation.

Since this item has a reserve, what would one consider a worthwhile bid?  Let's say the reserve is $200, for argument's sake.  If I'm one of 10 people interested in supporting this endeavor, I really don't want to spend $25 or $30 on one episode of Sweep.  If it's $10 or maybe even $15, yes.

tvwxman

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2004, 05:50:13 PM »
Since this item has a reserve, what would one consider a worthwhile bid?  Let's say the reserve is $200, for argument's sake.  If I'm one of 10 people interested in supporting this endeavor, I really don't want to spend $25 or $30 on one episode of Sweep.  If it's $10 or maybe even $15, yes.
[snapback]59506[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well, let's see...if it's a hundred bucks, and there are 10 of us, would Randy (and Al) be able to dub 10 times? That's a lot of work to ask of our fave announcer...

I'd pay 10 bucks..maybe 20...but that's it....sorry, i'm not a ssweep fan...but it would be cool to see the original!
-------------

Matt

RMF

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2004, 07:03:59 PM »
Whoops, I forgot to consider those two elements, but feel free to add them into the formula.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2004, 03:34:16 AM »
I'd pay $10-$15 or so....for those who have been asking for tape collecting hints--this might be a good start.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2004, 02:59:16 PM »
Reviving this thread in case some interested parties missed it...

Is it fair to assume that only 4 or 5 people are interested in splitting the cost of this film, given the reserve price is within a reasonable range, like between $60 and $100?

I e-mailed the seller this morning about the reserve price, to get an idea about cost.  If/when he replies, I'll post a follow-up.

Pyramid80

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2004, 03:04:36 PM »
You can add me to the list too.  I would also be willing to split costs!

TraderRob

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2004, 05:48:29 PM »
I just placed a $100.01 bid just to get a feel for the reserve price and so far that is still too low.    I'm definitely interested in getting a VHS copy but I don't know that I'm willing to be the bidder for fear of a high reserve price and me eating the bulk of the cost....

Rob
« Last Edit: October 07, 2004, 05:50:33 PM by TraderRob »

tvwxman

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2004, 06:37:24 PM »
[quote name=\'TraderRob\' date=\'Oct 7 2004, 04:48 PM\']I just placed a $100.01 bid just to get a feel for the reserve price and so far that is still too low.    I'm definitely interested in getting a VHS copy but I don't know that I'm willing to be the bidder for fear of a high reserve price and me eating the bulk of the cost....

Rob
[snapback]59909[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'd wait till the auction ends.....then fire off an email to the guy....make a deal on it then...after we find out here how many people are interested/for how much money...
-------------

Matt