Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What Is the Easiest Game Show to Emcee?  (Read 14646 times)

Jay Temple

What Is the Easiest Game Show to Emcee?
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2004, 12:12:18 AM »
I've heard enough badly-delivered radio copy and scripture readings to say that reading the affidavit takes TTTT out of the running as the easiest show to host.  Number, Please doesn't seem too difficult, though.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2004, 12:51:11 AM »
I've heard enough badly-delivered radio copy and scripture readings to say that reading the affidavit takes TTTT out of the running as the easiest show to host.
Any trained actor can read a TTTT affidavit acceptably well. Notice I said actor, not announcer.

Bud Collyer = actor

Burton Richardson = announcer
« Last Edit: October 12, 2004, 12:51:48 AM by chris319 »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2004, 01:18:50 AM »
Ahh.. so that's why Burton didn't move to the host's chair after Gordon had to leave.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2004, 09:29:06 AM »
Your telling me Blake Emmons could host Card Sharks? Right.
There's a lot more to "Higher or Lower".

I personally think "Card Sharks" isn't an easy show to host.  Bob Eubanks even mentioned one time that part of the show he liked was being able to interact with the contestants - to get them talking and draw out a funny response.  You have to have a good personality and good communication skills for that.  There are certainly a few hosts who would have trouble with that format.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

mystery7

« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2004, 04:53:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Oct 12 2004, 01:18 AM\']Ahh.. so that's why Burton didn't move to the host's chair after Gordon had to leave.
[snapback]60499[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yeah. In other words: "Please read along on your siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigned affaaaaaaaaaaadaviiiiiiit!"

Ian Wallis

« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2004, 09:17:45 AM »
Any trained actor can read a TTTT affidavit acceptably well. Notice I said actor, not announcer.

Actually, there's more to TTTT than just reading the affidavit.   I remember one episode which aired on GSN a few years ago in which the central character didn't answer the question entirely truthfully.  Garry Moore picked up on this, turned his back to the three challengers (as to not help the panel determine which was the real one) and stated something to the effect of "the central character MUST answer truthfully".

The whole thing came up over a panelist's question about some schooling the central character had had, and he didn't give the entire answer in hopes of not giving himself away.  Garry was alert enough to remind him he had to answer truthfully.

I guess the point of this is that the TTTT host has to pay close attention and interject when necessary.  I don't think it's as easy as it might look...
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

TwoInchQuad

« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2005, 05:10:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Oct 13 2004, 05:17 AM\']

Actually, there's more to TTTT than just reading the affidavit.   I remember one episode which aired on GSN a few years ago in which the central character didn't answer the question entirely truthfully.  Garry Moore picked up on this, turned his back to the three challengers (as to not help the panel determine which was the real one) and stated something to the effect of "the central character MUST answer truthfully".

The whole thing came up over a panelist's question about some schooling the central character had had, and he didn't give the entire answer in hopes of not giving himself away.  Garry was alert enough to remind him he had to answer truthfully.

I guess the point of this is that the TTTT host has to pay close attention and interject when necessary.  I don't think it's as easy as it might look...
[snapback]60653[/snapback]
[/quote]

Just resurrecting thhis thread because it was referenced in another post, and I wanted to throw in my $0.02...  :^)

My choice for "easy hosting job" would've been TTTT as well, because Bud (much as I admire his work) in addition to the affadavits, literally read almost all of the gameplay copy off of the index cards in front of him-- which were duly passed over to whatever sub-host was covering for him during vacation periods.  In fact, I always thought the best practical joke to play on him would have been to scramble the order of his cards, just to see what would happen.

Having said that, though, Bud **was** obviously paying attention, as illustrated when he had his own brush with a dishonest central character-- you should have seen how quickly he moved to cut off the after-game questioning of Wrong Way Corrigan, after newspaperman Hy Gardner started asking about Corrigan's infamous overseas flight.

-Kevin
« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 05:13:34 PM by TwoInchQuad »

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2005, 08:09:37 PM »
[quote name=\'TwoInchQuad\' date=\'Dec 30 2005, 05:10 PM\']Having said that, though, Bud **was** obviously paying attention, as illustrated when he had his own brush with a dishonest central character-- you should have seen how quickly he moved to cut off the after-game questioning of Wrong Way Corrigan, after newspaperman Hy Gardner started asking about Corrigan's infamous overseas flight.[/quote]

I'm not sure I get your meaning. (Only fact I have at hand--Corrigan almost certainly flew the wrong way intentionally.)
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2005, 08:15:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Oct 13 2004, 08:17 AM\']I guess the point of this is that the TTTT host has to pay close attention and interject when necessary.  I don't think it's as easy as it might look...
[snapback]60653[/snapback]
[/quote]

And not just with the contestants' answers, Garry/Bud/Whoever also had to monitor the panelists' questions to make sure they stay within the rules. I can remember seeing an episode where the central subject was a priest, and Gene Rayburn asked, "#2, what prayer ends with the words, 'And so, heavenly father...'" Garry cut him off and said, "That's a demonstration, Gene." I also vaguely remember John O'Hurley doing the same thing on his version when a panelist asked an odd question. So hosting TTTT doesn't require DOING something as much as it requires making sure everybody else is doing as they're supposed.

One other thing, Mr. Clementson, I was a little surprised to see this thread was started by somebody who actually worked within the game show biz. Not that it's my business, but what possessed your question to begin with? Or was it just a random "Hey, let's get a thread going!" and I'm reading too much into this?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 08:18:11 PM by Adam Nedeff »

mparrish11

• Marriage is the leading cause of divorce.
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2005, 08:17:04 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Oct 8 2004, 08:15 PM\'][quote name=\'jw2001\' date=\'Oct 8 2004, 06:41 PM\']I think for me, perhaps the easiest game show to host would have to be Double Dare, hands down.  There's not that much to master, really, except for maybe getting the physical challenge and obstacle descriptions down.  Other than that, I'd say it's pretty easy.

Joe
[snapback]60095[/snapback]
[/quote]

And yet, watching Jm J Bullock guest host for one ep yesterday on GAS proves this so, so wrong.

Double Dare looked easy cause Marc made it look easy. For a first time host, that's a helluva feat.
[snapback]60108[/snapback]
[/quote]

Some people just don't have "it".  Jm J Bullock couldn't even get HS right!
--Matt

TwoInchQuad

« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2005, 08:57:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Dec 30 2005, 05:09 PM\'][quote name=\'TwoInchQuad\' date=\'Dec 30 2005, 05:10 PM\']Having said that, though, Bud **was** obviously paying attention, as illustrated when he had his own brush with a dishonest central character-- you should have seen how quickly he moved to cut off the after-game questioning of Wrong Way Corrigan, after newspaperman Hy Gardner started asking about Corrigan's infamous overseas flight.[/quote]

I'm not sure I get your meaning. (Only fact I have at hand--Corrigan almost certainly flew the wrong way intentionally.)
[snapback]106280[/snapback]
[/quote]

That was the point Gardner was trying to make with his questioning-- particularly since Corrigan was still (smilingly) maintaining that the flight was a crazy accident, which just about no one believed, even back in the late 50's.  Since all central characters are required to tell the truth [lest they forfeit their winnings, according to the show's rules], when Corrigan was asked after the game by Hy what **really** happened, Bud started talking over the answer Corrigan began to give, and hastily moved to close out the segment.  

-Kevin

ET206

« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2005, 01:53:03 AM »
PASSWORD would be easy to host:  you hand an envelope to two players and kiss Elizabeth Montgomery's a**.

Johnissoevil

« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2005, 03:29:50 AM »
[quote name=\'ET206\' date=\'Dec 31 2005, 01:53 AM\']PASSWORD would be easy to host:  you hand an envelope to two players and kiss Elizabeth Montgomery's a**.
[snapback]106304[/snapback]
[/quote]

I've hosted Internet adaptations of quite a bit of games on Netgames and Palace.  Easiest would have to be, IMO, TJW.
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

gwarman2005

« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2005, 03:32:01 AM »
TTD wouldn't be that much harder than TJW would it?  Or for that matter Hollywood Squares.  Agree or Disagree.... ooooooooooo  the pressure of not screwing up, lol.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2005, 05:26:46 AM »
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' date=\'Dec 30 2005, 05:15 PM\']Not that it's my business, but what possessed your question to begin with? Or was it just a random "Hey, let's get a thread going!" and I'm reading too much into this?
[snapback]106281[/snapback]
[/quote]
IIRC, it was a companion thread someone started about what the most difficult game show to host might be.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe