Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "The NFL Newlywed Game"  (Read 2489 times)

TimK2003

"The NFL Newlywed Game"
« on: October 11, 2004, 11:41:16 AM »
Did anybody catch any of the 1PM ET NFL games on CBS yesterday?  

Around halftime, at least during the Browns/Steelers game (Despite the win, the Steelers STILL suck...)  they aired a :30 promo for the NFL in which they took an old clip from the Eubanks Newlywed Game and added, I would assume, rookie players from the NFL into the old filmage, like they did with Leonardo DeCaprio in "Catch Me If You Can".  It looked like they also put someone else's face on Bob Eubanks body at the NG podium, because the hair looked terrible!

At first, I thought it was another Old Navy game show ad, but it was indeed from the NFL!

Anyone else see this spot? If so, does anyone know what exactly happened in the spot?

Tim

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
"The NFL Newlywed Game"
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004, 11:53:14 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Oct 11 2004, 10:41 AM\']Anyone else see this spot? If so, does anyone know what exactly happened in the spot?

Tim
[snapback]60401[/snapback]
[/quote]
Someone else brought this up a couple of weeks ago.  Rich Eisen (former ESPN guy, now with the NFL Network) plays the Eubanks role (with bad 70s hair).  The spot features four established players (Mike Vick of Atlanta and Brian Urlacher of Chicago among them) with their NFL head coaches, all of whom are first-time coaches (hence, the "newlywed" aspect).  I would guess that more than one were filmed.

It'll most likely air again tonight during the Tennessee/Green Bay game.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

aaron sica

"The NFL Newlywed Game"
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004, 12:08:23 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Oct 11 2004, 11:53 AM\']
Someone else brought this up a couple of weeks ago.  Rich Eisen (former ESPN guy, now with the NFL Network) plays the Eubanks role (with bad 70s hair).  The spot features four established players (Mike Vick of Atlanta and Brian Urlacher of Chicago among them) with their NFL head coaches, all of whom are first-time coaches (hence, the "newlywed" aspect).  I would guess that more than one were filmed.

Doug
[snapback]60402[/snapback]
[/quote]

Are you sure it's all established players and new head coaches? I think the one team is Kurt Warner with Eli Manning....

MikeK

• Martha!
"The NFL Newlywed Game"
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004, 01:05:00 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Oct 11 2004, 12:08 PM\']Are you sure it's all established players and new head coaches? I think the one team is Kurt Warner with Eli Manning....[/quote]

The four teams were Jim Mora Jr. and Michael Vick (Atlanta Falcons), Lovie Smith and Brian Urlacher (Chicago Bears), John Lynch and Champ Bailey (Denver Broncos), and Kurt Warner and Eli Manning (NY Giants).  Only Mora and Smith are head coaches.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2004, 01:06:33 PM by hmtriplecrown »

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
"The NFL Newlywed Game"
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004, 01:46:01 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Oct 11 2004, 12:05 PM\'][quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Oct 11 2004, 12:08 PM\']Are you sure it's all established players and new head coaches? I think the one team is Kurt Warner with Eli Manning....[/quote]

The four teams were Jim Mora Jr. and Michael Vick (Atlanta Falcons), Lovie Smith and Brian Urlacher (Chicago Bears), John Lynch and Champ Bailey (Denver Broncos), and Kurt Warner and Eli Manning (NY Giants).  Only Mora and Smith are head coaches.
[snapback]60407[/snapback]
[/quote]
I stand corrected.  I only saw the left two scoreboards close-up, so I didn't notice the other two on the right (without the head coaches).  Still, they're either new teammates or new head coach/established player, so the "newlywed" theme still fits.

This isn't the first time I've been wrong this weekend, if my NFL picks are any indication.  :)  (Damn Mr. Walrus for not running the football and the Seahawks up 3--that chokejob cost me, not to mention them.)

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

uncamark

"The NFL Newlywed Game"
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2004, 04:43:21 PM »
Those of you who get the NFL Network (which I just got a little over a week ago when digital upgraded in my Chicago neighborhood) will see this promo all the time (it's a generic promo for that channel).

If you hadn't read the article, the set was virtual--everything around the players and Eisen were added digitally.  And the only music they used could be claimed as public domain (just the snatch of Lohengrin that Barris didn't write).