Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hosts who fit their show perfectly  (Read 10513 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Hosts who fit their show perfectly
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2005, 08:56:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Combs Feud aficionado\' date=\'Mar 30 2005, 05:18 PM\']I don't subscribe to the mentality that "the first host is always the best."
[snapback]79959[/snapback]
[/quote]
That much is obvious based solely on your nickname. But Eubanks sucked in many and various ways on CS.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tyshaun1

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2005, 09:54:46 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Mar 30 2005, 08:50 PM\']Both these guys fit their shows very well; I'd hate to see them switch!
[snapback]79967[/snapback]
[/quote]
Well, Lange DID host a week of Newlywed Game for ABC in 1984. Let's just say he was perfectly.......awful.

Tyshaun

zachhoran

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2005, 10:01:56 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'Mar 30 2005, 09:54 PM\'][quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Mar 30 2005, 08:50 PM\']Both these guys fit their shows very well; I'd hate to see them switch!
[/quote]
Well, Lange DID host a week of Newlywed Game for ABC in 1984. Let's just say he was perfectly.......awful.

Tyshaun
[snapback]79980[/snapback]
[/quote]

I seem to remember Bob EUbanks guest hosting part of a late 70s syndie DG episode. Anyone else remember that from first-run or the later syndie reruns?

Don Howard

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2005, 10:05:24 PM »
[quote name=\'Combs Feud aficionado\' date=\'Mar 30 2005, 07:18 PM\'][quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'Mar 30 2005, 06:10 PM\'][quote name=\'Combs Feud aficionado\' date=\'Mar 30 2005, 03:20 PM\']Bob Eubanks on Card Sharks
[snapback]79928[/snapback]
[/quote]
Sez you. I know they wanted more comedy on the revival, but that would require the host to be actually funny.
[snapback]79942[/snapback]
[/quote]
I don't subscribe to the mentality that "the first host is always the best."
[snapback]79959[/snapback]
[/quote]
I'm going to vomit. I'm vomiting. And you can clean it up.
As you do so, hear my vote: Bill Rafferty on Every Second Counts and Larry Blyden on What's My Line?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2005, 10:07:48 PM by Don Howard »

Neumms

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2005, 11:12:24 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Mar 30 2005, 08:50 PM\']Jim said "And here they are", while Bob was deep in the muck as he mud wrestled with these people for a laugh or embarrassing moment. It seems the hardest part would be sensing when to keep prying and probing with a couple looking for a laugh, or just move on to the next twosome.
[/quote]

Terrific point, Mr. West. Bob made the show what it was, how Barker makes TPIR and Ludden made Password. Barker probably and Ludden definitely wouldn't have done any better with Card Sharks. And Jim Perry might not have fared well with the newlyweds, although I'd love to hear him say, "we'll be back tomorrow with eight more nice people" after they've been hitting each other with blue cards for half an hour.

FeudDude

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2005, 11:27:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Mar 30 2005, 11:12 PM\']Terrific point, Mr. West. Bob made the show what it was, how Barker makes TPIR and Ludden made Password. Barker probably and Ludden definitely wouldn't have done any better with Card Sharks. And Jim Perry might not have fared well with the newlyweds, although I'd love to hear him say, "we'll be back tomorrow with eight more nice people" after they've been hitting each other with blue cards for half an hour.
[snapback]79992[/snapback]
[/quote]

I actually think Bob Barker would've been a great fit for Card Sharks, just because CS generally had a very similar vibe to current-day TPIR.

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2005, 11:34:18 PM »
Nice to have the thread back to review others' thoughts and add some - Dr. Bear sez Peter Marshall never got a solid game to recapture the glory of HS. That's true, but he certainly understood what kind of game he did best. He seemed right at home and looked good doing All Star Blitz, even if it wasn't one of the all-time great games. Nothing like being able to help produce a show to fit your strengths. And Michael Reagan wasn't bad on Lingo.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2005, 11:35:39 PM by The Ol' Guy »

Neumms

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2005, 11:38:53 PM »
[quote name=\'FeudDude\' date=\'Mar 30 2005, 11:27 PM\']I actually think Bob Barker would've been a great fit for Card Sharks, just because CS generally had a very similar vibe to current-day TPIR.
[snapback]79994[/snapback]
[/quote]

Maybe. He's so good at dealing with many different people during a show that it would be kind of a waste on a game with only two players, one of them returning. Heaven forbid he'd pull that trick where he touches the card only to pull his hand away and milk the suspense.

Perry was so good at the survey part and so good at letting excitement build at the card board. It's a tricky feat because the two parts are so different.

Don Howard

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2005, 11:53:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Mar 30 2005, 08:31 PM\'][quote name=\'Passepartout\' date=\'Mar 30 2005, 05:49 PM\']Don't forget Jim Lange the Dating Game!
[snapback]79939[/snapback]
[/quote]
Why exactly would anyone remember Jim Lange? (Except for the red tux.) That's one game where there's practically nothing for the host to do.
[snapback]79965[/snapback]
[/quote]
Jim said more prior to the first commercial break on the debut episode of Spin-Off than he did during any given week on The Dating Game.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2005, 09:06:40 AM »
I seem to remember Bob EUbanks guest hosting part of a late 70s syndie DG episode. Anyone else remember that from first-run or the later syndie reruns?

I remember it...Bob came out and introduced the three bachelors for the game and threw to commercial.  When the show came back, Jim was right where he should be with no explanation.  Just another one of Chuck Barris's little pranks!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

uncamark

« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2005, 12:08:38 PM »
[quote name=\'FeudDude\' date=\'Mar 30 2005, 11:27 PM\'][quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Mar 30 2005, 11:12 PM\']Terrific point, Mr. West. Bob made the show what it was, how Barker makes TPIR and Ludden made Password. Barker probably and Ludden definitely wouldn't have done any better with Card Sharks. And Jim Perry might not have fared well with the newlyweds, although I'd love to hear him say, "we'll be back tomorrow with eight more nice people" after they've been hitting each other with blue cards for half an hour.
[snapback]79992[/snapback]
[/quote]

I actually think Bob Barker would've been a great fit for Card Sharks, just because CS generally had a very similar vibe to current-day TPIR.
[snapback]79994[/snapback]
[/quote]

Barker seems to prefer to work in a less structured format, like "T or C" or even "TPIR," where the contestants are not tested and pre-processed.  Even if he doesn't supposedly hate children, he would've still been miserable on "The Family Game" in that very structured format.  And if you thought Eubanks slowed things down on "CS," just think of Barker doing it...

aaron sica

« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2005, 12:22:57 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Mar 31 2005, 12:08 PM\']
Barker seems to prefer to work in a less structured format, like "T or C" or even "TPIR," where the contestants are not tested and pre-processed.  Even if he doesn't supposedly hate children, he would've still been miserable on "The Family Game" in that very structured format.  And if you thought Eubanks slowed things down on "CS," just think of Barker doing it...
[snapback]80051[/snapback]
[/quote]

I can see this..

"For $3,000 is it lower than a ki- what did you say you're going to do with the money again? OK, for $3,000 is it lower than a ki - I so hope you win this-" and whatever else he does to delay it.