Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Contestants As Hosts  (Read 6468 times)

Don Howard

Contestants As Hosts
« on: October 16, 2004, 04:36:55 PM »
Howdy, pardners.
So! Who, of the game show contestants you've seen play games and win cash and prizes over the years, seem to you like they might have the right stuff to host a game show?
To give everyone the chance to play, please resist the urge to list your Top 127 and just supply one.
The challenge is yours.

tvwxman

Contestants As Hosts
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2004, 04:52:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Oct 16 2004, 03:36 PM\']Howdy, pardners.
So! Who, of the game show contestants you've seen play games and win cash and prizes over the years, seem to you like they might have the right stuff to host a game show?
To give everyone the chance to play, please resist the urge to list your Top 127 and just supply one.
The challenge is yours.
[snapback]61038[/snapback]
[/quote]

Ummmmm......

Me.

;)
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

OntarioQuizzer

Contestants As Hosts
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2004, 05:13:39 PM »
Ken Jennings.

Timsterino

Contestants As Hosts
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2004, 06:22:49 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Oct 16 2004, 04:52 PM\'][quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Oct 16 2004, 03:36 PM\']Howdy, pardners.
The challenge is yours.
[snapback]61038[/snapback]
[/quote]

Ummmmm......

Me.

;)
[snapback]61040[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hey, me too! ;-)

I second your me and raise you a me.

Tim :-)

opimus

Contestants As Hosts
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2004, 06:56:55 PM »
Matt Ottinger.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2004, 06:57:24 PM by opimus »

Jimmy Owen

Contestants As Hosts
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2004, 06:57:56 PM »
Unless it's a long running contestant, we don't really get to know the person well enough to make a decision.  Matt Ottinger, Mark DeCarlo and Mike Reilly are the ones I can think of to have actually done it.  I guess your first name has to start with the letter M. :)  I remember a contestant on "Rhyme and Reason" who Bob introduced as wanting to be a game show host, I don't know if he realized his dream. Maybe they could revive WBSM as WKJM.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
Contestants As Hosts
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2004, 07:31:39 PM »
>> Matt Ottinger.
Uhh....wait. Isn't he already? I think he has that one show out in the East Lansing, MI area that's been on now for 16 years....

Although I wonder how Jenny Jones would handle a game show.
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

The Ol' Guy

Contestants As Hosts
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2004, 10:56:01 PM »
Michael Reilly did it on Monopoly, if the legend is correct. A former Jeopardy contestant, Merv used Michael as a player in a Monopoly run-thru. When some offhand chatter had Reilly mentioning he'd like to try Merv's hosting job, he and Griffin traded places, and that led to Griffin picking Reilly for the ABC run. So I guess it's not impossible...  Anyone "in the know" around here who can confirm or clarify the story?

tvwxman

Contestants As Hosts
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2004, 06:46:58 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Oct 16 2004, 05:57 PM\']Unless it's a long running contestant, we don't really get to know the person well enough to make a decision.  Matt Ottinger, Mark DeCarlo and Mike Reilly are the ones I can think of to have actually done it.  I guess your first name has to start with the letter M. :)
[snapback]61048[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hey, I like your theory!

And I think you've stumbled on the best idea on this board in some time.....A revival of Win Ben Stein's Money as Win Ken Jennings Money...

It would be much better than "Stump the Schwab"...
« Last Edit: October 17, 2004, 06:47:12 AM by tvwxman »
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Kevin Prather

Contestants As Hosts
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2004, 03:22:46 PM »
The only problem is that KenJen would have to wear a dunce cap half the time for using "What is..." in his response. ;)

Ian Wallis

Contestants As Hosts
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2004, 04:04:46 PM »
I remember a contestant on "Rhyme and Reason" who Bob introduced as wanting to be a game show host, I don't know if he realized his dream.

A few contestants on "Press Your Luck" stated the same - and I've never seen any of those guys again either!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Matt Ottinger

Contestants As Hosts
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2004, 04:18:24 PM »
[quote name=\'opimus\' date=\'Oct 16 2004, 06:56 PM\']Matt Ottinger.
[snapback]61047[/snapback]
[/quote]
Damn straight.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

SplitSecond

Contestants As Hosts
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2004, 04:22:29 PM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'Oct 16 2004, 07:56 PM\']Michael Reilly did it on Monopoly, if the legend is correct. A former Jeopardy contestant, Merv used Michael as a player in a Monopoly run-thru. When some offhand chatter had Reilly mentioning he'd like to try Merv's hosting job, he and Griffin traded places, and that led to Griffin picking Reilly for the ABC run. So I guess it's not impossible...  Anyone "in the know" around here who can confirm or clarify the story?
[snapback]61067[/snapback]
[/quote]

Mike was a contestant on the pilot that Peter Tomarken hosted when Merv was trying to sell the show in syndication (before the ABC version was picked up).  So your specifics aren't quite there, but you are indeed right that Mike was a contestant before becoming a host.

What other shows (if any) had their eventual hosts involved in the pilot, in some capacity other than hosting?

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Contestants As Hosts
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2004, 08:30:09 PM »
Well, I know of a pretty good announcer.  :)  And that announcer strikes me as the type who probably could pull off hosting duties as well (reads copy clearly, meaning he could read rapid-fire questions clearly).  And he certainly has the enthusiasm to match the contestants.  (Frankly, I'm surprised he wasn't mentioned sooner.)

(No disrespect intended to any of the other fine staffers/hosts/former contestants/current contestants in our illustrious 1101-member band [give or take].)

Have I done enough brownnosing yet?  :)

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

sshuffield70

Contestants As Hosts
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2004, 10:50:37 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Oct 17 2004, 03:04 PM\']
I remember a contestant on "Rhyme and Reason" who Bob introduced as wanting to be a game show host, I don't know if he realized his dream.

A few contestants on "Press Your Luck" stated the same - and I've never seen any of those guys again either!
[snapback]61129[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well, one did become a TPIR announcer........and HoSho.....and AN3AC......and Supermarket Sweep.....and.......(oh, well that's enough.....you get the picture.....) :) :) :)