Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is Jennings also "Jeopardy's" curse?  (Read 3137 times)

dzinkin

Is Jennings also "Jeopardy's" curse?
« on: October 17, 2004, 12:34:17 PM »
Still another piece about how the ratings for J! are likely to drop once Ken's run ends.  It also includes the latest ratings for syndicated shows (and for various dayparts, though not prime time).

The full article can be found here.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2004, 02:11:45 PM »
Looking at the ratings; I was surprised to see the court shows slumping. Weren't Judge Judy and Judge Joe Brown in the top 10 just two years ago? [and People's Court, among others in the top 25]  If so; this might be an indicator that the genre is slowly losing steam...
« Last Edit: October 17, 2004, 02:12:17 PM by Dsmith »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

uncamark

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 03:30:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Oct 17 2004, 01:11 PM\']Looking at the ratings; I was surprised to see the court shows slumping. Weren't Judge Judy and Judge Joe Brown in the top 10 just two years ago? [and People's Court, among others in the top 25]  If so; this might be an indicator that the genre is slowly losing steam...
[snapback]61115[/snapback]
[/quote]

Except that just last season, *every* court show was performing well enough in the ratings.  *No one* was going down--they were all going up.

If they are going down, it's interesting that it's happening without any new shows to dilute the genre this season.  Generally, when we reach a glut level is when the numbers start to go south.  Perhaps we've reached the limit with seven--it's just taking some time for the numbers to turn around.

(With talk shows, they'll always be around, but the numbers fluctuations indicate what genre of talk we'll be getting--also, it takes a show that's decisively different from the other to change things around, but it looks like no one's trying to do a Dr. Phil clone--yet.  The Pat Croce show's more of a reality format than a studio talker.)

ObGameShow:  "Pyramid" did better numbers than the current numbers for Croce or "Life and Style," despite its flaws--if the demos were also better, this time the Perfesser may be right.

sshuffield70

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 03:36:16 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Oct 18 2004, 02:30 PM\'][quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Oct 17 2004, 01:11 PM\']Looking at the ratings; I was surprised to see the court shows slumping. Weren't Judge Judy and Judge Joe Brown in the top 10 just two years ago? [and People's Court, among others in the top 25]  If so; this might be an indicator that the genre is slowly losing steam...
[snapback]61115[/snapback]
[/quote]

Except that just last season, *every* court show was performing well enough in the ratings.  *No one* was going down--they were all going up.

If they are going down, it's interesting that it's happening without any new shows to dilute the genre this season.  Generally, when we reach a glut level is when the numbers start to go south.  Perhaps we've reached the limit with seven--it's just taking some time for the numbers to turn around.

(With talk shows, they'll always be around, but the numbers fluctuations indicate what genre of talk we'll be getting--also, it takes a show that's decisively different from the other to change things around, but it looks like no one's trying to do a Dr. Phil clone--yet.  The Pat Croce show's more of a reality format than a studio talker.)

ObGameShow:  "Pyramid" did better numbers than the current numbers for Croce or "Life and Style," despite its flaws--if the demos were also better, this time the Perfesser may be right.
[snapback]61235[/snapback]
[/quote]

I dunno....."The Larry Elder Show" looks like a Phil clone to me.  The only difference I can find is it's a conservative black man giving out the advice.

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2004, 04:10:20 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Oct 18 2004, 02:36 PM\']I dunno....."The Larry Elder Show" looks like a Phil clone to me.  The only difference I can find is it's a conservative black man giving out the advice.
[snapback]61237[/snapback]
[/quote]

And the set almost looks the same as Dr. Phil's, at least IMO.

ObGameShow: My friend and I saw Larry Elder and she thought it was J!
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!