Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A fave host in the TOP 40  (Read 3712 times)

Winkfan

A fave host in the TOP 40
« on: October 18, 2004, 06:16:15 PM »
I got this through a radio newsgroup I belong to:

WHBQ - MEMPHIS
HI-FI CHANNEL 56
TOP RECORD SURVEY
WEEK OF FRIDAY OCTOBER 18, 1957
This week (Last week)
1. Jailhouse Rock - Elvis Presley (1)
2. Wake Up, Little Susie - Everly Brothers (7)
3. Raunchy - Bill Justis (10)
4. Fascination - Jane Morgan (3)
5. My Special Angel - Bobby Helms (40)
6. Rainbow - Russ Hamilton (2)
7. Mr. Fire Eyes - Bonnie Guitar (6)
8. That'll Be The Day - The Crickets (5)
9. Honeycomb - Jimmy Rodgers (4)
10. Chances Are - Johnny Mathis (9)
11. I Wanna Do Everything For You - Brook Benton (18)
12. Swanee River Rock - The Red Tops (12)
13. Have I Told You Lately - Ricky Nelson (16)
14. Mr. Lee - The Bobbettes (11)
15. Tammy - Debbie Reynolds (13)
16. Diana - Paul Anka (#8)
17. Around The World - Mantovani (17)
18. Keep A Knockin' - Little Richard (20)
19. And That Reminds Me - Della Reese (23)
19b. My Heart Reminds Me - Kay Starr (23)
20. Happy Happy Birthday Baby - Tune Weavers (30)
21. Remember You're Mine - Pat Boone (19)
22. Plaything - Nick Todd/Jim Newman (25)
23. Wait And See - Fats Domino (44)
24. My One Sin - Four Coins (35)
25. Sick And Tired - Chris Kenner (15)
26. Two Young Fools In Love - Barbara Pittman (56)
27. Red Hot - Bill Riley (22)
28. Melody D'amour - Ames Brothers (--)
29. Treat Me Nice - Elvis Presley (29)
30. Just Between You And Me - The Chordettes (43)
31. Rock Boppin' Baby - Edwin Bruce (28)
32. I Need A Girl - Joe Turner (34)
33. With You On My Mind - Nat King Cole (36)
34. Thought It Was Moonlove - Wink Martindale (46)
35. Down In The Alley - Clovers (42)
36. An Affair To Remember - Vic Damone (--)
37. I Sit In My Window - Russ Miller (21)
38. Just Born - Perry Como (47)
39. You Send Me - Sam Cooke/Teresa Brewer (--)
40. Little Bitty Pretty One - Thurston Harris (--)
41. April Love - Pat Boone (--)
42. I Need You So - Elvis Presley (--)
43. The Twelfth Of Never - Johnny Mathis (--)
44. Silhouettes - The Rays (53)
45. Memories - Dickie Lee (55)
46. Reet Petite - Jackie Wilson (52)
47. You Bug Me, Baby - Larry Williams (--)
48. Fun Lovin Baby - Georgia Gibbs (50)
49. My Girl - Frankie Lymon (54)
50. I'll Remember Today - Patti Page (--)
51. Peanuts - Little Joe & the Thrillers (--)
52. Hesitation - Ralph Marterie (--)
53. Love Me Forever - The Four Esquires (--)
54. I'm Available - Margie Rayburn (--) [sorry, but she's NOT RELATED to 'you-know-who!']
55. Joey's Song - Joe Reisman (--)
56. You're A Fallen Angel - The Emeralds (--)

DJ's:
Wink Martindale
Lance Russell
Ray Brown
Dewey Phillips

Did you notice that the Winkster had a chart hit on HIS OWN station? I'm certain all the other deejays BUT him played his song. And it wouldn't be the last time, though. He recorded some sides when he was at KRLA and KFWB, and those songs charted on their surveys as well. I'll post those surveys in the future.

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Siv Averg of the Big Board!'
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 04:44:58 PM by Winkfan »
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024) & Peter Marshall (1926-2024)

brianhenke

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 06:50:34 PM »
Today, the situation that Wink had back then (being a DJ on a station that was playing his hit) would probably not be allowed.

Brian

Little Bo Peep lost her virginity?
The leaves start to change color in May?

Fedya

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 08:51:09 PM »
He did have a Top 10 hit on the Billboard "Hot 100" in 1959 with "Deck of Cards".  Perhaps the song you mention really did deserve to be in the Top 40.  (It didn't hit Billboard's Top 40 at all.)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

drmusic_99

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 09:20:33 PM »
[quote name=\'brianhenke\' date=\'Oct 18 2004, 05:50 PM\']Today, the situation that Wink had back then (being a DJ on a station that was playing his hit) would probably not be allowed.
[/quote]

When Rick Dees had his hit "Disco Duck" in the 1970's, it didn't get much airplay in Memphis, because the other stations wouldn't touch it, and his own station forbade him from playing it. He mentioned the record on the air, and was promptly fired. (It all turned out well, though... he was hired by a competing station, which was owned by a large chain, which led him to Los Angeles and worldwide fame.

Back to Wink, "Deck of Cards" was a spoken-word record. Did he sing on any of the other records he made/

mystery7

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2004, 10:47:43 PM »
[quote name=\'drmusic_99\' date=\'Oct 18 2004, 09:20 PM\'][Back to Wink, "Deck of Cards" was a spoken-word record. Did he sing on any of the other records he made/
[snapback]61295[/snapback]
[/quote]

He sang on the flip side of Deck Of Cards: "Now You Know How It Feels". I have the 45 on Dot Records. Somewhere.

uncamark

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2004, 12:30:49 PM »
[quote name=\'drmusic_99\' date=\'Oct 18 2004, 08:20 PM\'][quote name=\'brianhenke\' date=\'Oct 18 2004, 05:50 PM\']Today, the situation that Wink had back then (being a DJ on a station that was playing his hit) would probably not be allowed.
[/quote]

When Rick Dees had his hit "Disco Duck" in the 1970's, it didn't get much airplay in Memphis, because the other stations wouldn't touch it, and his own station forbade him from playing it. He mentioned the record on the air, and was promptly fired. (It all turned out well, though... he was hired by a competing station, which was owned by a large chain, which led him to Los Angeles and worldwide fame.

[snapback]61295[/snapback]
[/quote]

On the other hand, WLUP in Chicago played the heck out of morning man Steve Dahl's Rod Stewart parody "Do Ya Think I'm Disco?" back in 1979, which during the peak of Disco Demolition made the top 10 of rival WLS' survey--not that they were going to play it.  :)  Also, Dr. Demento played it on his show, which was heard in Chicago on the Loop ("Where Chicago Rocks").

In 1979, when I went to LA for a week, I turn on the radio in my motel room to the Doc's old Sunday night show on KMET, and what's the first thing I hear?  "A few weeks ago in Chicago, a baseball game got cancelled...and here's Steve Dahl and Teenage Radiation with 'Do Ya Think I'm Disco?'"  I went to LA to *escape* all that.

ObGameShow:  Steve Dahl did a recurring "Jeopardy!" bit on his show by the time he was at WLS-FM, with local sportswriter Jim O'Donnell playing "Art Fleming, Jr."

Winkfan

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2004, 04:51:47 PM »
Today, the situation that Wink had back then (being a DJ on a station that was playing his hit) would probably not be allowed.

Apparently they haven't told that to Peter Marshall. He's occasionally played tracks from HIS OWN albums on his Music of Your Life show. (and I have the airchecks to prove it!) It's a wonder the FCC hasn't slapped him with a steep fine or two. Or maybe he's the 'exception;' and there's a 'clause' in his contract that allows him to do so.

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Siv Averg of the Big Board!'
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 04:46:30 PM by Winkfan »
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024) & Peter Marshall (1926-2024)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2004, 05:17:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Winkfan\' date=\'Oct 19 2004, 01:51 PM\']Apparently they haven't told that to Peter Marshall. He's occasionally played tracks from HIS OWN albums on his Music of Your Life show. (and I have the airchecks to prove it!) It's a wonder the FCC hasn't slapped him with a steep fine or two. Or maybe he's the 'exception;' and there's a 'clause' in his contract that allows him to do so.
[snapback]61380[/snapback]
[/quote]
Not for nothing, but do we have it down as authoritative fact that you CAN'T play your own records on a radio show you're hosting? Dee Snyder hosts a nationally syndicated hair-metal show on weekends, I have a hard time believing they have NEVER pulled out any Twisted Sister.

So far all I see with regard to any "proof" of this is the say-so of Brian Henke, and you'll excuse me if I don't accept the word of a man who still hasn't fully grasped the signature system on this board as definitive proof.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2004, 11:10:50 PM »
Just a guess, but I figure Peter's playing his own music doesn't cause a problem because it's a whole different realm. If you're doing something to push yourself up in a top-40 or related sales charting system, where the value of a song property is gagued by it's climb nationally or regionally, then people might question your self-promotion efforts. Pete's recordings, as pleasant as they are, aren't in a chart race. He can't push himself into a #1 chart topper, and there's little support for his music outside of Music Of Your Life and a few caring DJs. Three, maybe. There would be four, but I'm not in that gig anymore. Westwood One would never play him because he didn't have a "hit"...not to mention making reference to the competition. Music Of Your Life, it appears to me, has been a struggling operation for a long time. I'm sure MYL wouldn't mind him playing a tune or two off his CDs and letting him mention they're available on his website instead of paying him more money. Come to think of it, Wink has played cuts from his own recordings on his show as well. They're a stroke for the talent and a couple of bucks from a stray website sale, but probably nothing illegal or unethical.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2004, 10:01:45 AM by The Ol' Guy »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2004, 11:20:24 PM »
John Tesh, Jim Brickman and Dave Koz play their own recordings all the time on their syndicated radio shows.  As long as management is aware, it's O.K.  Where Alan Freed, etc. went wrong was that they were getting cash for airplay without sharing it with the radio station.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2004, 09:06:31 AM »
CHUM radio in Toronto charted one of their DJ's songs in the early '80s - a guy named Michael Holland with a song named "Do She Want Love".  (The 45 was issued on Bomb Records!)  As far as I know it was never played on any other station.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!