Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CS Rule  (Read 4474 times)

jbrocato

CS Rule
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2004, 02:21:03 PM »
When downloading the Eubanks clip, I also downloaded the Perry clip of a teen winning $22,200.  I have two Perry-era questions.

When was the dollar sign added to the Money Cards podium?

When did a push not mean a loss of money?

John Brocato

JMFabiano

CS Rule
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2004, 03:53:37 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Oct 30 2004, 11:43 PM\'][quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Oct 30 2004, 11:53 PM\']I assume this rule was also in use during the Perry and Rafferty eras, too, it seems.
[snapback]62518[/snapback]
[/quote]
The only such resemblance of this on the Perry version happened one time when a woman tried to bet three-quarters of $3,750 at the Big Bet.  "We'll let the mathematicians handle that one," Jim said, but someone offstage told him she had to give him an exact number, so she made it $2,500 instead.  (For the math-impared--and I knew a lot of those in my younger years--three-quarters of $3,750 works out to be $2,812.50).
[snapback]62522[/snapback]
[/quote]

You beat me to it!  This discussion did remind me of said "3/4" situation.  Though it looks like it didn't end as badly as I remembered it (for some reason I mistakenly thought she settled for betting it all).  Either way, did it not end in a loss, I think to a heartbreaking card sequence (i.e. King --> Ace)?
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
CS Rule
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2004, 05:05:09 PM »
[quote name=\'jbrocato\' date=\'Oct 31 2004, 01:21 PM\']When was the dollar sign added to the Money Cards podium?

John Brocato
[snapback]62561[/snapback]
[/quote]
This thread will answer your #1 question.

As for question #2, it was in the fall of 1980 (sometime around October--after the game show hosts tourney but before the November celeb tourney).

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

ChuckNet

CS Rule
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2004, 08:41:55 PM »
Actually, on an early Rafferty ep, I recall a contestant betting $_25 (can't remember the exact amount) on the first line...perhaps it wasn't written in stone that you had to bet in $50 increments until sometime later.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

uncamark

CS Rule
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2004, 02:32:20 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Nov 1 2004, 08:41 PM\']Actually, on an early Rafferty ep, I recall a contestant betting $_25 (can't remember the exact amount) on the first line...perhaps it wasn't written in stone that you had to bet in $50 increments until sometime later.

[snapback]62719[/snapback]
[/quote]

Seems to me that I recall often hearing Perry saying as the cards were dealt "...you go up to the second line, we give you another $200--your bets are $50 minimum, until we get to the Big Bet--and there you must bet at least half your money..."

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
CS Rule
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2004, 03:12:46 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Nov 2 2004, 01:32 PM\']Seems to me that I recall often hearing Perry saying as the cards were dealt "...you go up to the second line, we give you another $200--your bets are $50 minimum, until we get to the Big Bet--and there you must bet at least half your money..."
[snapback]62775[/snapback]
[/quote]
That spiel by itself, though, didn't necessarily preclude someone from betting $75, $125, etc.  It only meant you couldn't bet less than $50 in any one bet.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

WorldClassRob

CS Rule
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2004, 09:59:20 PM »
That was a weird looking dollar sign... made out of a simple card attatched to the scoreboard; it never flashed with the numbers after the big bet.  They could've at least made a concerted effort to get a better scoreboard with six digits (the first being the dollar sign) with no gaps.

[quote name=\'jbrocato\' date=\'Oct 31 2004, 02:21 PM\']When downloading the Eubanks clip, I also downloaded the Perry clip of a teen winning $22,200.  I have two Perry-era questions.

When was the dollar sign added to the Money Cards podium?

John Brocato
[snapback]62561[/snapback]
[/quote]