Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MG revival?  (Read 6301 times)

Steve Gavazzi

MG revival?
« on: November 11, 2004, 11:24:32 PM »
I've seen a couple reports recently on the TV forums at GameFAQs.com that GSN is considering a revival of Match Game.  Now, I don't give this much credence because 1) it doesn't mention What the Blank? at all, 2) I've seen nothing about it here, and 3) the source for both reports was IMDb...but I want to make sure I have my facts straight before I shoot my mouth off.  So...has anyone heard anything about this that's actually credible?

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
MG revival?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2004, 01:01:20 AM »
Judy Tenuta is still available.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
MG revival?
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2004, 01:56:01 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Nov 11 2004, 11:24 PM\']So...has anyone heard anything about this that's actually credible?
[/quote]
Furthermore, why would GSN want to launch a revival of a classic game show; when its not even close to the direction they wanted to head.
Unless the expiriment is failing. Classic lovers, don't jump for joy, yet.  (this means not posting a list of GREAT SHOWS THAT SHOULD BE ON GSN!)
--Mark
Phil 4:13

GS Warehouse

MG revival?
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2004, 10:25:01 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Nov 12 2004, 01:01 AM\']Judy Tenuta is still available.
[snapback]63664[/snapback]
[/quote]
[Woolery]I wouldn't touch that line with a fork lift.[/Woolery]

I don't buy this.  For starters, it was Fox who was mulling WtB?, although it's been a while since we last heard anything about it.  My prediction: it'll die in the pilot stage.  Once American Idol returns, Fox would rather play the AI special card to plug up schedule holes.  (I'm warning you: don't get too atttached to House.)

tvrandywest

MG revival?
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2004, 10:30:49 AM »
Yes, sadly, I'm told WTB is dead at FOX. I would hasten to remind all that there are many far factors beyond the quality of an idea or pilot that affect programming decisions.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
MG revival?
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2004, 06:56:58 PM »
Yes, sadly, I'm told WTB is dead at FOX.
I swear I had nothing to do with it!

Seriously, Randy more than deserves a show which will last him like 20 or 30 years :-)

I would hasten to remind all that there are many far factors beyond the quality of an idea or pilot that affect programming decisions.
Quality??? Who needs quality???

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
MG revival?
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2004, 07:19:42 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Nov 12 2004, 06:56 PM\']
Yes, sadly, I'm told WTB is dead at FOX.
I swear I had nothing to do with it!

Seriously, Randy more than deserves a show which will last him like 20 or 30 years :-)

I would hasten to remind all that there are many far factors beyond the quality of an idea or pilot that affect programming decisions.
Quality??? Who needs quality???
[snapback]63711[/snapback]
[/quote]

Line......of......the day!!!! Times 3, even!!!!!

As for the source...I'd probably put a site like GameFAQs.com on the bowling buddy list. I haven't been there, but isn't it more of a video game site?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2004, 07:20:48 PM by Chief-O »
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

Steve Gavazzi

MG revival?
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2004, 07:41:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Chief-O\' date=\'Nov 12 2004, 07:19 PM\']As for the source...I'd probably put a site like GameFAQs.com on the bowling buddy list. I haven't been there, but isn't it more of a video game site?
[snapback]63713[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yeah.  Like I said, I asked more to back myself up than because I was expecting a confirmation.

Skynet74

MG revival?
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2004, 12:11:29 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Nov 12 2004, 10:30 AM\']Yes, sadly, I'm told WTB is dead at FOX. I would hasten to remind all that there are many far factors beyond the quality of an idea or pilot that affect programming decisions.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
[snapback]63687[/snapback]
[/quote]
----------------------

That's really to bad. I remember how great it sounded when you had described it. I was really looking forward to it. If this was the 1970's or 80's I am fairly certain this one would have made it to air. Unfortunately in this day and age, Game Shows are no longer considered a Hot Property. However everything in life seems to come around full circle. I would like to believe that Game Shows will be Hot again ..... sometime before we all drop off the face of the planet. I would hate to think that we will never see Morning blocks of game shows again. There isn't a worse thought to a game show fan than that.

Well O.K. maybe one worse thought. That would be a Match Game revival with Judy Tenuta, Emo Phillips, Carrot Top and Pee Wee Herman as regular panelists. That would just be highly disturbing! ;-)

John
« Last Edit: November 13, 2004, 12:12:23 AM by Skynet74 »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
MG revival?
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2004, 01:23:31 AM »
[quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'Nov 12 2004, 10:11 PM\']<prattling deleted>
I would like to believe that Game Shows will be Hot again ..... sometime before we all drop off the face of the planet. I would hate to think that we will never see Morning blocks of game shows again. There isn't a worse thought to a game show fan than that.
[snapback]63730[/snapback]
[/quote]

Y'know; I don't agree.  I go to school in the morning, and I'll likely be working then too over the vacation.  I would rather see more syndicated shows in the early evening or afternoons than a full morning block.  Sure, it was great in the days when a day home from school meant I was in Game Show City, but life goes on.  A morning block these days would be wasted on me.
Travis L. Eberle

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
MG revival?
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2004, 11:57:52 AM »
I don't want to offend anyone who may read this, but given Fremantle's current relationship with FOX, WTB? should have been an easy sell.

a Match Game revival with Judy Tenuta, Emo Phillips, Carrot Top and Pee Wee Herman as regular panelists. That would just be highly disturbing!
It would be highly disturbed. Add Matthew Lesko and L.A.'s Clazy Gideon* to round it out.

*It's really Crazy Gideon but he pronounces it "clazy", as in "I clazy".
« Last Edit: November 13, 2004, 12:00:57 PM by chris319 »

tvrandywest

MG revival?
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2004, 12:32:37 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Nov 13 2004, 08:57 AM\']I don't want to offend anyone who may read this, but given Fremantle's current relationship with FOX, WTB? should have been an easy sell.
[/quote]
Operative words: SHOULD HAVE

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Skynet74

MG revival?
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2004, 12:36:34 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Nov 13 2004, 11:57 AM\']
a Match Game revival with Judy Tenuta, Emo Phillips, Carrot Top and Pee Wee Herman as regular panelists. That would just be highly disturbing!
It would be highly disturbed. Add Matthew Lesko and L.A.'s Clazy Gideon* to round it out.

*It's really Crazy Gideon but he pronounces it "clazy", as in "I clazy".
[snapback]63741[/snapback]
[/quote]
-----------------

Matthew Lesko! That's a good one!!! There would be Question Marks all over the friggin Set! I'm not familiar with Crazy Gideon. I might know him if I saw him. But..... Can you imagine that panel? Holy Crap..... That would really be Something. I'm not exactly sure what..... But it would definitely be SOMETHING! ;-)

John
« Last Edit: November 13, 2004, 12:39:09 PM by Skynet74 »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
MG revival?
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2004, 10:26:30 PM »
Crazy Gideon is local to L.A. He advertises in the breaks between infomercials in the wee hours of the morning. He sells refurbished consumer electronics (at least he says it's refurbished) at discount prices.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2004, 10:28:15 PM by chris319 »

mystery7

MG revival?
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2004, 12:52:36 AM »
Is Crazy Gideon some kind of relative to the Crazy Eddie we had back east so many years ago?