Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Proposal: "The Jeopardy KJRK Tournament!"  (Read 5248 times)

Michael Brandenburg

Proposal: "The Jeopardy KJRK Tournament!"
« on: December 01, 2004, 06:52:11 PM »
If GSN, "The Network for Games," can have game shows that I consider a little "crazy" (such as Extreme Dodgeball and Celebrity Blackjack), then why not this one that was suggested in a recent Knight-Ridder News Service story on Ken Jennings' recent run on Jeopardy?

Its the Jeopardy Ken Jennings Road Kill Tournament, and I've come up with a format for it that will have it fit nicely into a 12-week, 60-program run.  Here's how it would go:

The participants would be the 148 Jeopardy players who lost to Ken Jennings during his run of 74 consecutive wins on that program.  All games in the tournament would be 4-player competitions, as the first-round games were in the $250,000 Super Jeopardy tournament that aired on the ABC television network during the summer of 1990.

Four different players out of the 148 would compete on each of the first 37 programs in this series, with the winners from each program advancing to the quarter-finals.  These 37 winners would then be joined by the 27 non-winners with the highest dollar totals (or point totals, if they want to play that way) to make up the quarter-final field of 64 players.

Programs 38 through 53 in this series would pit four of the quarter-finalists against each other in each game, with the 16 winners from these games advancing to the semi-finals, and the others eliminated from further competition.  Then, on Programs 54 through 57 in this series, these 16 players would compete to determine the four "Finalist" players.

Finally, on the last three programs of this series (Nos. 58 through 60), these four players would play three games against each other, with their total dollar (or point) score from those games determining the tournament champion (as similar two-game totals determine the final winners in many of the Jeopardy tournaments).

And the big prize to the eventual big winner?  Well, in acknowledgement to Ken Jennings' personal religious beliefs, and in keeping with the admittedly "crazy" idea of this tournament, I'd suggest a cash prize of $252,070!

Michael Brandenburg
(Which, of course, is the "tithe" of Ken Jennings' $2,520,700 in Jeopardy winnings he said he would be donating to his church!)

Red

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004, 06:55:42 PM »
It'd be interesting, but very very doubtful. Plus, this would be a game show. GSN picking up a Game Show Original? Hah!
-Paul Ford

RedGiant@toonzone.net

sshuffield70

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004, 11:05:30 PM »
Almost.  Your figure is off by $200.  It should be $252,270.  You forgot to add $2000 for yesterday's show.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004, 12:23:49 AM »
Also, although he lost his 75th game, he did defeat one person in that game, so the count would be 149 players, not 148.

Esoteric Eric

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2004, 12:43:25 AM »
WARNING:  POSSIBLE 12/01 J! SPOILER (NOT RELATED TO GAMEPLAY) IN MY SIG LINE...

[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Dec 1 2004, 08:05 PM\']Almost.  Your figure is off by $200.  It should be $252,270.  You forgot to add $2000 for yesterday's show.
[snapback]65752[/snapback]
[/quote]

So did the folks who run the show's website and / or Sony's PR department.

Esoteric Eric; As most of you probably know, Alex brought KJ out at the top of the 12/01 show.   While Alex wasn't specific about KJ's total, he did point out that Ken won $2000 for finishing second on 11/30.
Eric Smallman; "...I don't think God ever forgave me for Phyllis Newman..." - "Jimmy Carter" (Dan Aykroyd), SNL, 1976

jbrocato

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2004, 07:41:29 AM »
[quote name=\'Michael Brandenburg\' date=\'Dec 1 2004, 06:52 PM\']If GSN, "The Network for Games," can have game shows that I consider a little "crazy" (such as Extreme Dodgeball and Celebrity Blackjack), then why not this one that was suggested in a recent Knight-Ridder News Service story on Ken Jennings' recent run on Jeopardy?

Its the Jeopardy Ken Jennings Road Kill Tournament, and I've come up with a format for it that will have it fit nicely into a 12-week, 60-program run.  Here's how it would go:

The participants would be the 148 Jeopardy players who lost to Ken Jennings during his run of 74 consecutive wins on that program.  All games in the tournament would be 4-player competitions, as the first-round games were in the $250,000 Super Jeopardy tournament that aired on the ABC television network during the summer of 1990.

[snapback]65716[/snapback]
[/quote]

I don't think we need to bring back the worst of his opponents.  Some of them finished thousands of dollars in the red.  I'd rather see his 15 best opponents play a two-week tournament, using the standard Jeopardy! touranment format.

John Brocato

zachhoran

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2004, 08:29:26 AM »
[quote name=\'jbrocato\' date=\'Dec 2 2004, 07:41 AM\']

I don't think we need to bring back the worst of his opponents.  Some of them finished thousands of dollars in the red.  I'd rather see his 15 best opponents play a two-week tournament, using the standard Jeopardy! touranment format.

John Brocato
[snapback]65779[/snapback]
[/quote]

This tournament will never happen, but Matt O. would be my pick if it did, with MIchael Cudahy also a tough competitor.

sshuffield70

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2004, 09:29:20 AM »
I don't think we need to bring back the worst of his opponents.  Some of them finished thousands of dollars in the red.  I'd rather see his 15 best opponents play a two-week tournament, using the standard Jeopardy! touranment format.

John Brocato
[snapback]65779[/snapback]
[/quote]

And Matt would be in my 15.  I think Andy Saunders could probably fill out the field with the picks, since he's been following this rather closely.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2004, 09:30:43 AM by sshuffield70 »