Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dick Clark won't be Rockin.....  (Read 8284 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Dick Clark won't be Rockin.....
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2004, 11:57:27 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Dec 14 2004, 02:59 AM\']Maybe a young entertainer will fill his shoes or maybe NYRE will dissolve into nothing when Clark hangs it up.
[snapback]67197[/snapback]
[/quote]
NYRE is Dick's baby. I would suspect, if Dick decides he can't continue doing the show (and by God, at 75 years old, he has every right to), ABC will find another format to wrap around the ball-drop in Times Square. Heck, I thought Peter Jennings did a bang-up job with the Y2K coverage, I wouldn't mind seeing something like that again.

More likely, of course, we'll get Ashlee and Jessica Simpson's Holiday Hoe-Down....
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

wheelloon

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2004, 12:13:33 PM »
Regis is alright for the job. At the very least, there wouldn't be anybody better in Hollywood to take the role of host of NYRE, except maybe Pat! :)

To think of having Ashlee Simpson and Ryan Seacrest there makes me nauseous. Anybody think Dick will make a guest appearance on the show, and give like a 5 minute speech on how he's okay and all that?
"I'm dressed as one of the most frightening figures known to man...

A TV game show host."--Pat Sajak

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2004, 12:16:39 PM »
[quote name=\'wheelloon\' date=\'Dec 14 2004, 11:13 AM\']To think of having Ashlee Simpson and Ryan Seacrest there makes me nauseous. Anybody think Dick will make a guest appearance on the show, and give like a 5 minute speech on how he's okay and all that?
[snapback]67228[/snapback]
[/quote]
No.  

And Seacrest isn't going to be there anyway, he's got FOX duty that night.  (EDIT:  Sorry, didn't see we were talking about the future.)

Doug
« Last Edit: December 14, 2004, 12:52:45 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2004, 12:42:16 PM »
[quote name=\'wheelloon\' date=\'Dec 14 2004, 12:13 PM\']Regis is alright for the job. At the very least, there wouldn't be anybody better in Hollywood to take the role of host of NYRE, except maybe Pat! :)
[/quote]

You know, just because you're a "Wheel loon," you don't have to suggest that Sajak's "the man" for every job that comes up -- especially when it's pretty obvious that his style doesn't mesh with the gig.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2004, 12:47:20 PM »
[quote name=\'wheelloon\' date=\'Dec 14 2004, 12:13 PM\']Anybody think Dick will make a guest appearance on the show, and give like a 5 minute speech on how he's okay and all that?[/quote]
No.  Cripes, let the poor guy recover.

wheelloon

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2004, 12:48:00 PM »
I was joking... He probably wouldn't do it anyway. I don't suggest that he host absolutely everything either! That's exaggerating it!
"I'm dressed as one of the most frightening figures known to man...

A TV game show host."--Pat Sajak

aaron sica

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2004, 01:00:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Dec 14 2004, 12:42 PM\']You know, just because you're a "Wheel loon," you don't have to suggest that Sajak's "the man" for every job that comes up -- especially when it's pretty obvious that his style doesn't mesh with the gig.
[snapback]67232[/snapback]
[/quote]

I think "Real Loon" seems to fit better...

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2004, 02:07:23 PM »
A few posts were deleted from this thread due to a misinterpretation of a previous post. Still, it doesn't help when people write in pronouns and it isn't clear who "he", "she" and "they" are.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2004, 02:07:56 PM by chris319 »

Don Howard

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2004, 02:32:03 PM »
[quote name=\'wheelloon\' date=\'Dec 14 2004, 12:13 PM\']Anybody think Dick will make a guest appearance on the show, and give like a 5 minute speech on how he's okay and all that?
[/quote]
A five-minute speech??!!?? (extra punctuation included because I know you like it) "I'm okay. Really, I'm okay. I'm really okay. Okay? Okay! Now let's play a full round of Scattergories."
« Last Edit: December 14, 2004, 02:32:21 PM by Don Howard »

Mike Tennant

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2004, 02:38:29 PM »
As much a shame as it is to see Dick out of commission for this New Year's Eve, I find it heartening in a way that they replaced a 75-year-old host with a 72-year-old host and still expect to pull in good demos.  Then there's that 81-year-old host on CBS daytime (with occasional prime-time shows) who's still popular among college students.

The reason I say this is that recently I was watching an episode of Here's Lucy which starred a 57-year-old Lucille Ball, a 62-year-old Gale Gordon, and a 74-year-old Jack Benny, with a cameo by a 52-year-old Jackie Gleason.  After watching I thought how wonderful it was to see all those old pros working together and how there would probably never again be a time when so many great veteran performers would get a shot at network (or even cable) TV because of their ages and the demos they would be expected to draw.

Thus I am glad to see that some veterans still get the nod on TV today (yeah, I know Regis is still somewhat of a hot property because of WWTBAM?, but still . . .), even if they aren't working together.

Don Howard

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2004, 03:38:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' date=\'Dec 14 2004, 02:38 PM\']After watching I thought how wonderful it was to see all those old pros working together and how there would probably never again be a time when so many great veteran performers would get a shot at network (or even cable) TV because of their ages and the demos they would be expected to draw.
[snapback]67259[/snapback]
[/quote]
Too many young pups are "the suits" these days and think bad boys with 'tude are the way to go. Pity.

sshuffield70

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2004, 03:45:29 PM »
I have seen a post, probably this thread, suggesting Bergeron.  Given his current relationship with ABC, I think that would be perfect.  There's no way Fox (or Fremantle) would let Ryan take the gig.

uncamark

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2004, 04:57:07 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Dec 14 2004, 03:45 PM\']I have seen a post, probably this thread, suggesting Bergeron.  Given his current relationship with ABC, I think that would be perfect.  There's no way Fox (or Fremantle) would let Ryan take the gig.
[snapback]67264[/snapback]
[/quote]

And as pointed out, Seacrest has the Fox NYE show, which he's been doing for a few years.  Money could change anything, but I suspect he's staying at Fox for a few more years.

More likely that Fremantle may be out of "Idol" picture, considering the lawsuit Simon Fuller is filing against Fremantle and Simon Cowell over their "X Factor" series, which he considers a ripoff of "Idol."  Of course, everyone could kiss and make up in the end, but still...

Jumpondees

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2004, 05:38:06 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Dec 13 2004, 03:18 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 13 2004, 01:54 PM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Dec 13 2004, 10:35 AM\']Sorry to say, publicists sometimes downplay these kinds of things.
[snapback]67092[/snapback]
[/quote]
So here's the interesting question: Has the studio portion of Rockin' Eve been taped yet? If so, how do they handle all of those pre-taped pitches to the live Dick Clark? Voiceover? Do they get the hosts in to hastily re-shoot the pitches?
[snapback]67098[/snapback]
[/quote]
According to Mark Evanier, it was taped back in October. Here's what he had to say on his blog about the matter.
[snapback]67114[/snapback]
[/quote]

My God!  Color me stupid!  I mean, I knew the show (except for Dick's segments) was taped...How can you not notice that, but I NEVER knew it was taped that far out.  I figured the whole thing was taped either days or at the latest two weeks prior to air.

As for Reege filling in...Everyone sounds more optimistic than I feel...I like Regis, I really do, but there are just some things in this world that just seems weird.

I mean, it's not New Year's without Dick Clark, and I too hope his recovery is a fast one, but it's like eating McNuggets without Sweet'N'Sour Sauce.....MMMM  McNuggets...Sounds like I know what I'm having for dinner.

Desperado

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2004, 06:17:39 PM »
I didn't even know Clark was still alive!  I just assumed he died years ago and was replaced with a hologram...