Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Match Game revivals....  (Read 4487 times)

Sjsuman3500

Match Game revivals....
« on: July 22, 2003, 11:21:45 PM »
Of Match Game Hollywood Squares hour, Match Game 1990 and Match Game 1998, which revival was your personal favorite?

SimpsonGeek

Match Game revivals....
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2003, 11:26:03 PM »
I thought Match Game '90  was an all around good show that kept the spirit of the old show introducing new panelists and many of it's old panelists, which was a huge plus. \"Match Up\" was pretty good also.

Brandon Brooks

Match Game revivals....
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2003, 12:14:18 AM »
[quote name=\'Sjsuman3500\' date=\'Jul 22 2003, 10:21 PM\'] Of Match Game Hollywood Squares hour, Match Game 1990 and Match Game 1998, which revival was your personal favorite? [/quote]
 Do you really think anyone will say MG98, except for maybe Mandel?

Brandon Brooks

Timsterino

Match Game revivals....
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2003, 12:53:52 AM »
I would say Match Game 90 was the best revival. I did not hate Match Game 98. It was OK. I thought the host was bad though, Michael Burger.

Tim :-)

DrJWJustice

Match Game revivals....
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2003, 02:40:42 PM »
I've got a split personality on this one.  On the one hand, it was great to see Gene Rayburn back doing Match Game for what turned out to be his third and final (and shortest) stint.  But, in terms of the overall picture, I'd have to go with MG'90.  I still think they could have ditched the Match-Ups segment and played a third round for $100 per correct answer and had an even better game.  Ross Shaefer was not a bad host, but I do think the ABC network made a huge mistake by saying Gene was too old to host.  He probably would have done just fine.

combsisthebest

Match Game revivals....
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2003, 01:55:21 AM »
I think that MG '90 was the best revival because it combined the elements of Match Game '7x and The Match Game. The main round was the elements of Match Game '7x and the Match-up round was the element of the original Match Game. They had regular panelists that were decent: Brad Garrett, Vicki Lawerence, and Charles Nelson Reily. They also had Brett on for a week. The host (Ross Schafer) wasn't too bad, of course he was no Gene Rayburn. I think that maybe if it was given a better timeslot, it might have lasted a little bit longer.

EmiOfBrie

Match Game revivals....
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2003, 05:00:19 AM »
I'm torn between MG/HS and MG90.

MG/HS played Match Game the closest to the original MG7x rules, where each A/B game you only had to match each celeb once. but it suffered from a certain lack of craziness despite Rayburn hosting.

MG90 changed the rules slightly (\"get as many matches as you can\"), even though there are hints that they were originally going to use MG7x rules (the fact that there were 6 lights on each player podium where it said \"MATCH*\"), but the panel did bring back the rowdiness inspired by MG7x that MG/HS never fully, well, matched.

zachhoran

Match Game revivals....
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2003, 08:25:42 AM »
The scoring for the MG90 pilot(done in October 1989 hosted by Bert Convy) was one point per match in rounds one and two, and two points per match in round three. There were no Match-Up rounds, and all six celebs played each round. The games were still meant to be self-contained.

ChuckNet

Match Game revivals....
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2003, 12:25:20 PM »
They had regular panelists that were decent: Brad Garrett, Vicki Lawerence, and Charles Nelson Reily. They also had Brett on for a week.

Brett actually did 3 wks of MG '90...once in Aug 90, the wk of Halloween, and again before the yr's end.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")