Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mark Goodson question  (Read 3861 times)

kurtinrod62

Mark Goodson question
« on: December 18, 2004, 08:53:01 PM »
After the demise of TTTT80, did G-T/MGP ever do any game show pilots in New York?

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
Mark Goodson question
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2004, 08:59:41 PM »
As far as I would believe, no.
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Mark Goodson question
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2004, 09:29:55 PM »
It was after my time there but I highly doubt it, as almost all the creative people were in California.

zachhoran

Mark Goodson question
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2004, 09:42:58 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Dec 18 2004, 09:29 PM\']It was after my time there but I highly doubt it, as almost all the creative people were in California.
[snapback]67795[/snapback]
[/quote]

That is true, but didn't Goodson keep an NYC office through his death? We saw NYC phone numbers on-air during the run of Combs Feud.

tvrandywest

Mark Goodson question
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2004, 09:57:13 PM »
Mr. Goodson maintained a New York residence, a New York office and a New York Rolls Royce that matched his LA Rolls. The latter's license plate: MG WEST.

While the creative functions had all treked West, I was told that the New York office handled a lot of the business, including overseas sales of the formats.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Jimmy Owen

Mark Goodson question
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2004, 09:57:54 PM »
Jonathan had "New York Wired" for a while, but that probably wouldn't count as a MGP.  Wasn't 1980's "Mismatch" piloted in NY?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

The Pyramids

Mark Goodson question
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2004, 10:04:59 PM »
Ray's 'Feud' seemed to have families from New York on a regular basis. It had crossed my mind that the company may still have some operations there.

On a similar note, the Saint Louis Rams are largely based here but still have a small office and a few personel still in Los Angeles.

bricon

Mark Goodson question
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2004, 02:13:07 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Dec 18 2004, 09:57 PM\']Wasn't 1980's "Mismatch" piloted in NY?
[snapback]67806[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yes, at NBC, hosted by Art James.  I seem to recall it being produced by Time/Life Television, according to the trade ads.  Has it been noted anywhere that it was a Goodson-Todman production?

uncamark

Mark Goodson question
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2004, 05:31:24 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 18 2004, 09:42 PM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Dec 18 2004, 09:29 PM\']It was after my time there but I highly doubt it, as almost all the creative people were in California.
[snapback]67795[/snapback]
[/quote]

That is true, but didn't Goodson keep an NYC office through his death? We saw NYC phone numbers on-air during the run of Combs Feud.
[snapback]67802[/snapback]
[/quote]

The only program work done from the New York by then was the contestant office for "Feud," which I believe, if I remember from the credits, was run by diehard New Yorker Edye Chan.  Edye was also listed as a "contestant consultant" on the USA Canadian-made "Chain Reaction" for her longtime employer and colleague (going back to the original "TPIR") Bob Stewart.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Mark Goodson question
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2004, 11:21:52 PM »
the New York office handled a lot of the business
I once called Bill Egan to ask for a subscription to Facts on File for the west coast office. The conversation went something like this:

ME: Would it be possible to get a subscription to Facts on File out here?

EGAN: We have Facts on File here in New York.

ME: I know, but I was wondering if we could get a subscription for the west coast office.

EGAN: We subscribe to Facts on File here in New York.

ME (MINDFUL OF THE FACT THAT I'M TALKING TO A SENIOR MAN IN THE COMPANY): Yes, but we could really use a copy out here in California.

EGAN: There's a copy of facts on file here in the New York office.

ME: A number of shows being produced out here would benefit from having Facts on File in the office.

EGAN: There's a copy right here in the New York office.

It was the last time I ever spoke to Bill Egan.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2004, 11:22:13 PM by chris319 »