Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dick Clark Doing Rehab  (Read 8409 times)

Skynet74

Dick Clark Doing Rehab
« on: December 21, 2004, 03:02:00 AM »
I just picked this up from USA Today. The impression that I get is of a Dick Clark who had a more serious stroke than most want to admit. He's still in the hospital and may still be on New Years Eve. He's in rehab which in itself is a little shocking. The fact that he has a serious enough condition that even warrants rehab is a little disturbing. Hey.... I don't know a whole about strokes. Perhaps this is normal procedure for someone who has even the smallest stroke. However I don't feel all that comforted when hearing about his current condition. There is a very popular meterologist on my local NBC affiliate who had a stroke. He was gone for a while only to return in a very limited capacity. You can definitely tell that he had a stroke. His speech pattern just isn't the same. It's my fear that Dick Clark will never be the same either. Not trying to be negative. Just trying to be realistic. I sure hope it's not as bad as I think.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2004-1...ick-clark_x.htm

John
« Last Edit: December 21, 2004, 03:02:36 AM by Skynet74 »

Craig Karlberg

Dick Clark Doing Rehab
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2004, 04:22:04 AM »
Nce find there John.  I can't believe they won't let Reege out in Times Square where it's usually cold around New Year's eve.  However, some early forcasts might suggest a slightly warmer than normal celebration this year(meaning mid-upper 30's by the ball drop).

whewfan

Dick Clark Doing Rehab
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2004, 07:30:48 AM »
Rehab is certainly the norm, even for people that have the most minor strokes.
I do know some stuff about strokes because my grandpa had a stroke in the early 80s.

Some people that have strokes lose movement on one side of the body. This means they have difficulty moving one arm, leg, or hand. It's possible they'd have difficulty walking. Speech can also be affected. In some cases, because of the limited movements, a person's routine could be affected. It's also possible that someone that has a stroke, even a minor one, has difficulty concentrating.

The good news is, sometimes these conditions improve over time. The doctors won't disclose the areas where Dick Clark is having problems because these areas could improve, and there's no reason to worry over nothing.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Dick Clark Doing Rehab
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2004, 11:34:41 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Dec 21 2004, 02:22 AM\']Nce find there John.  I can't believe they won't let Reege out in Times Square where it's usually cold around New Year's eve.  However, some early forcasts might suggest a slightly warmer than normal celebration this year(meaning mid-upper 30's by the ball drop).
[snapback]68055[/snapback]
[/quote]
Not that it matters, since Clark's Times Square segments of the NYE proceedings have been done indoors ever since ABC built the studio overlooking Times Square for the Y2K show.

If he's in rehab still, I doubt seriously you will see him in any form on NYE. Which is just as well. If in fact his speech or muscular control has been affected as a result of this, I'm not sure that's how I want to remember him.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Desperado

Dick Clark Doing Rehab
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2004, 05:50:07 PM »
Let's hope his saluting hand hasn't been affected.  That would be a tragedy!

tvwxman

Dick Clark Doing Rehab
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2004, 07:05:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Desperado\' date=\'Dec 21 2004, 05:50 PM\']Let's hope his saluting hand hasn't been affected.  That would be a tragedy!
[snapback]68108[/snapback]
[/quote]

Not funny.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

clemon79

Dick Clark Doing Rehab
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2004, 07:24:52 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Dec 21 2004, 05:05 PM\'][quote name=\'Desperado\' date=\'Dec 21 2004, 05:50 PM\']Let's hope his saluting hand hasn't been affected.  That would be a tragedy!
[/quote]

Not funny.
[snapback]68120[/snapback]
[/quote]
I don't think he meant it to be, but just the same, I'll point out that MY saluting hand is working just fine, and I'm issuing one right now... :)

uncamark

Dick Clark Doing Rehab
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2004, 07:27:29 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 21 2004, 07:24 PM\'][quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Dec 21 2004, 05:05 PM\'][quote name=\'Desperado\' date=\'Dec 21 2004, 05:50 PM\']Let's hope his saluting hand hasn't been affected.  That would be a tragedy!
[/quote]

Not funny.
[/quote]
I don't think he meant it to be, but just the same, I'll point out that MY saluting hand is working just fine, and I'm issuing one right now... :)
[snapback]68123[/snapback]
[/quote]

For now, Chris Lemon--screw you!  :)

dzinkin

Dick Clark Doing Rehab
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2004, 07:29:41 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 21 2004, 07:24 PM\'][quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Dec 21 2004, 05:05 PM\'][quote name=\'Desperado\' date=\'Dec 21 2004, 05:50 PM\']Let's hope his saluting hand hasn't been affected.  That would be a tragedy!
[/quote]

Not funny.
[/quote]
[snapback]68123[/snapback]
[/quote]
I'm guessing that isn't the Fickle Finger of Fate. :-D

J.R.

Dick Clark Doing Rehab
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2004, 02:14:34 AM »
Didn't Bob Barker have a stroke?

Watch a TPIR ep from 1990, then watch one in 2004 and see if you notice a rather dramatic weaking of his voice.

-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

clemon79

Dick Clark Doing Rehab
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2004, 02:39:56 AM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Dec 22 2004, 12:14 AM\']Watch a TPIR ep from 1990, then watch one in 2004 and see if you notice a rather dramatic weaking of his voice.
[snapback]68168[/snapback]
[/quote]
You gotta be kidding me. The man was already in his golden years in 1990, and you're inferring ANYTHING from the fact that his voice weakened a little in the last FIFTEEN YEARS?

Good lord.

Don Howard

Dick Clark Doing Rehab
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2004, 05:24:21 AM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Dec 22 2004, 02:14 AM\']Didn't Bob Barker have a stroke?
Watch a TPIR ep from 1990, then watch one in 2004 and see if you notice a rather dramatic weaking of his voice.
[/quote]
That's a good point. The weakening of one's voice is quite atypical of someone in their EIGHTIES!
Cronkite and Brinkley must have had strokes, too.
This edition of Your Health And You has been brought to you by The Chad Everett Medical Center kit. Diagnose your friends and invite your neighbor to play nurse with the Chad Everett Medical Center kit. Available wherever good toys are sold.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 05:28:23 AM by Don Howard »

Tim L

Dick Clark Doing Rehab
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2004, 10:02:30 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Dec 22 2004, 05:24 AM\'][quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Dec 22 2004, 02:14 AM\']Didn't Bob Barker have a stroke?
[/quote]
That's a good point. The weakening of one's voice is quite atypical of someone in their EIGHTIES!
Cronkite and Brinkley must have had strokes, too.
This edition of Your Health And You has been brought to you by The Chad Everett Medical Center kit. Diagnose your friends and invite your neighbor to play nurse with the Chad Everett Medical Center kit. Available wherever good toys are sold.
[snapback]68170[/snapback]
[/quote]

Not to oversimplify things here..but when people get up in age, the chance of having a stroke increases anyway..and as sad as it may be..people arent going to be the way we remember them once that happens..people also wear down due to age....some here almost act as if this is surprising to them.. (i do hope that made sense somewhat)

Tim Lones

Steve Gavazzi

Dick Clark Doing Rehab
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2004, 10:43:51 AM »
As I recall, Barker's surgery in 1999 was done to prevent him from having a stroke...so no, I don't believe he's had one.

tvrandywest

Dick Clark Doing Rehab
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2004, 11:34:32 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Dec 22 2004, 07:43 AM\']As I recall, Barker's surgery in 1999 was done to prevent him from having a stroke...so no, I don't believe he's had one.
[snapback]68191[/snapback]
[/quote]
Correct, Steve.

Speaking of Barker, as I've not seen it elsewhere on the board: Beating the yearend deadline by a couple of weeks Barker has announced his intention to continue on TPiR for a 34th season.

OT, Dick is out of intensive care but is expected to remain hospitalized for another week at the very least.

Happy Hollendaise and Fleece Navidad!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 12:57:11 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com