Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What Might Have Been  (Read 5499 times)

Ian Wallis

What Might Have Been
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2004, 12:24:44 PM »
And something tells me Feud and Match would've run back-to-back on a lot of stations. Uy.

And probably set the record for quickest cancellation!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Matt Ottinger

What Might Have Been
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2004, 12:59:15 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Dec 27 2004, 03:17 AM\']
Tilton's Match Game was stunningly, laughably, I-can't-believe-it bad.
Can you share some details with us?[/quote]
So many of the specifics have thankfully been lost to memory, though I know there are at least two other members who could tell you more.  Mostly it was the flighty Tilton, who had no skills as a host and seemed to think that it was her job to flirt with...well, just about everybody.  

The only celebrity panelist I recall is Gil Gerard, twenty years out from Buck Rogers, so that gives you an idea about the star wattage.  There were five celebrities scattered at individual desks and Tilton would come up to each one individually, a little like the setup on Just Men.

The one specific thing I remember about the structure of the main game is that contestants also wrote their answers down, all the celebrity answers were revealed FIRST, and THEN the contestant's answer was revealed to see how many points he collected.  Another Great Moment In Change Just To Change.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

davidhammett

What Might Have Been
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2004, 02:08:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Dec 27 2004, 12:59 PM\']So many of the specifics have thankfully been lost to memory, though I know there are at least two other members who could tell you more.  Mostly it was the flighty Tilton, who had no skills as a host and seemed to think that it was her job to flirt with...well, just about everybody. 

The only celebrity panelist I recall is Gil Gerard, twenty years out from Buck Rogers, so that gives you an idea about the star wattage.  There were five celebrities scattered at individual desks and Tilton would come up to each one individually, a little like the setup on Just Men.

The one specific thing I remember about the structure of the main game is that contestants also wrote their answers down, all the celebrity answers were revealed FIRST, and THEN the contestant's answer was revealed to see how many points he collected.  Another Great Moment In Change Just To Change.
[snapback]68779[/snapback]
[/quote]

Matt hit upon the worst part of the actual game, namely that the contestants' answers came last instead of first.  But more importantly, never has there been a smarmier version of MG; there was a very deliberate attempt on the part of Charlene and the celebrities to be as edgy and titillating as possible, but only for the sake of being edgy and titillating -- it was never fun to watch.  Also in the change for change's sake department: the title of the show was MG2 (not Match Game 2... just MG2).

Other celebrities on the debacle were Downtown Julie Brown and Rondell Sheridan, plus two others whom I fortunately can't remember.

I had an opportunity to meet Charlene a year or two ago, and she's a fairly nice person.  Let's just say she seemed embarrassed about having been associated with the show...

uncamark

What Might Have Been
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2004, 05:43:37 PM »
[quote name=\'GameShowFan\' date=\'Dec 24 2004, 02:03 PM\']
Liars' Club starring Ed McMahon

Shoulda been. I saw two live run-throughs of this show, and it sang to me. The only real change was the game itself became two sets of comedian teams playing for the studio audience. Ed was remarkably good at hosting the show because he knew how to stay out of the way of his comics.

[snapback]68518[/snapback]
[/quote]

And I"m sure the comics appreciated Ed's laugh, which he didn't just do for Mr. Carson--there are the times on "Star Search" where Ed was providing the only live laughter in the Aquarius Theatre for some competing comics.