Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Good Thing GSN didn't get a hold of this  (Read 4932 times)

mb425

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Good Thing GSN didn't get a hold of this
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2004, 04:38:57 PM »
[quote name=\'mb425\' date=\'Dec 30 2004, 01:30 PM\']http://www.washtimes.com/upi-breaking/2004...20030-3445r.htm

Oh boy.
[snapback]69210[/snapback]
[/quote]
We knew a little about this (personally, I love Jimmy Carr), but this is the first piece I've seen that includes actual show details. (Which don't surprise me overmuch, but when it's on Comedy Central I'm not quite as offended by it.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2004, 04:44:37 PM »
LOS ANGELES, CA, Aug. 30 (UPI) -- U.S. Cable's Comedy Central has ordered 14 episodes of "Distraction," a British game show mixing trivia, comedy...

Hey, this sounds ok.

...as well as maggots and body piercing.

Oops. Never mind.

Vgmastr

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2004, 05:53:21 PM »
If anyone has Comedy Central on Demand, there's a 4 minute preview of the show on there this week.  One of the more notable bits featured is Carr asking questions to contestants, who are all sitting on toilets, and in order to buzz in, they have to go to the bathroom.  It's interesting, to say the least.

tvwxman

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2004, 05:55:11 PM »
saw a promo the other night.

be afraid. be very afraid.

reminded me a bit of "Beat The Crusher", for our UK guests in the hizzle. And that's not a compliment.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2004, 06:00:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Vgmastr\' date=\'Dec 30 2004, 03:53 PM\']One of the more notable bits featured is Carr asking questions to contestants, who are all sitting on toilets, and in order to buzz in, they have to go to the bathroom.  It's interesting, to say the least.
[snapback]69235[/snapback]
[/quote]
Okay. THAT'S funny. I wonder if the contestants are briefed in advance of this possibility, so they can take precautions...

"Honey! Fried chicken? You KNOW what this does to me!"

<smiling> "Just eat, honey." :)

<later.......>

<BRAAAAP!>

"Bob, I haven't asked the question yet!"

"I'm sorry, Jimmy..." <BRAAAAAAP!>
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

GS Warehouse

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2004, 09:43:41 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 30 2004, 06:00 PM\']<BRAAAAP!>

"Bob, I haven't asked the question yet!"

"I'm sorry, Jimmy..." <BRAAAAAAP!>
[snapback]69239[/snapback]
[/quote]
I just got an idea for a new game show.  Instead of buzzing in to give an answer, you burp.

I know, I know...one DVD of Free 4 All: The Complete Series to go...
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 09:43:59 PM by GS Warehouse »

zachhoran

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2004, 09:55:34 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Dec 30 2004, 09:43 PM\']

[snapback]69267[/snapback]
[/quote]

Seems to me the complete series of Free 4 All would include some shows not seen on USA. The original pickup for F4A and Quicksilver was for 130 shows. Quicksilver lasted long enough to run all 130 shows two or three times, but Free 4 All lasted only 19 weeks(6/27/94-11/4/94), leaving at least 35 shows unshown(45 if two weeks of preemptions for the US Open coverage that USA traditionally ran at the time)

tvwxman

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2004, 10:08:31 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 30 2004, 09:55 PM\'][quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Dec 30 2004, 09:43 PM\']

[snapback]69267[/snapback]
[/quote]

Seems to me the complete series of Free 4 All would include some shows not seen on USA. The original pickup for F4A and Quicksilver was for 130 shows. Quicksilver lasted long enough to run all 130 shows two or three times, but Free 4 All lasted only 19 weeks(6/27/94-11/4/94), leaving at least 35 shows unshown(45 if two weeks of preemptions for the US Open coverage that USA traditionally ran at the time)
[snapback]69269[/snapback]
[/quote]

The Topic at hand doesn't have a damn thing to do with Free 4 All.

Moderators, Zach is being his usual paininthearse self.  Chiming in with his rainman ability to steer a topic COMPLETELY off track. Can you address this please?
-------------

Matt

BrandonFG

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2004, 02:42:06 AM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Dec 30 2004, 04:44 PM\']
LOS ANGELES, CA, Aug. 30 (UPI) -- U.S. Cable's Comedy Central has ordered 14 episodes of "Distraction," a British game show mixing trivia, comedy...

Hey, this sounds ok.

...as well as maggots and body piercing.

Oops. Never mind.
[snapback]69225[/snapback]
[/quote]

Just when I got "The Chamber" out of my mind.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2004, 02:54:43 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 30 2004, 09:55 PM\']Seems to me
[snapback]69269[/snapback]
[/quote]
Seems to me you're spouting off random factoids that no one gives a damn about.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2004, 02:55:05 AM by Dsmith »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2004, 04:31:16 AM »
Electrical shocks is one thing but maggots & body-piercing, I don't know.  I'll give it a go on January 18.  If it's good, I'll watch the other 13 episodes.  If not, screw them.

Brig Bother

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2004, 09:24:14 AM »
The one thing in Distraction's favour (and I don't know if it will make the US version) is it's end game.

This takes the same form each week (five questions on a category chosen by the winning contestant of a choice of two). The prize is worth about £5,000 and takes the form of either a car, home entertainment systems or cash.

They will go home with the prize. But for every question they get wrong, a bit of the prize gets made worthless (i.e. for the car the seats will get slashed and the windows broken, for the home entertainment system the hi fi gets turned into a bookcase and the plasma screen becomes a wall hanging picture frame using a massive amount of glue. In the cash's case, wads of it will get burnt but after the five questions they can save whatever is burning with gloves and a water syphon. If you can read the serial number, you can exchange it at a bank).

The rest of it is inventive but not great sadly although I've warmed to it a bit over the years. The questions are really easy, it's the distraction that forms the round's challenge really.

I'd be interested to see what makes it through to the US though. The Brit one used elderly naturists quite a lot our challenges, bits and all, and I'd be surprised if that made it over.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2004, 09:24:44 AM by Brig Bother »

tvwxman

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2004, 10:00:44 AM »
If the preview currently airing on OnDemand is any indication, the answer is : yes, it all made it across the pond.... the nudists, the bonus round, everything...

Whether that's a good thing or not, I guess we'll find out in January.

And by the way, isn't burning legal tender illegal?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2004, 10:01:40 AM by tvwxman »
-------------

Matt

dale_grass

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2004, 06:39:28 PM »
According to Title 18, Section 333 of the United States Code:

"Whoever mutilates, cuts, disfigures, perforates, unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national banking association, Federal Reserve Bank, or Federal Reserve System, with intent to render such item(s) unfit to be reissued, shall be fined not more than $100 or imprisoned not more than six months, or both."

This adds a new element to the game:  the host getting distracted while asking the questions as the producters are hauled off by the Feds. ;)