Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPiR goofs resulting in wins  (Read 5965 times)

Kevin Prather

TPiR goofs resulting in wins
« on: January 01, 2005, 11:50:57 PM »
I was just checking out the clips on John Ricci's site, and watching some clips of set-up follies that resulted in contestants winning by default. Some examples...

A Switcheroo contestant winning because the price of the car was mislabeled "$12,4_0" instead of "$12,5_0", and the prices called for two 4 blocks.

A Punchboard contestant winning $10,000 due to a hole that was left empty.

And one that just happened a little while ago, a woman wins Push Over when the door concealing the prize inadvertantly falls open.

A couple others I remember are a contestant winning Cliff Hangers when Hans went over on the second prize when it was supposed to stop on 25, and a Lucky Seven contestant being handed the game when the wrong door opens.

What were some others? Are there clips up for download anywhere?

SamJ93

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2005, 12:13:54 AM »
Earlier this year...a woman automatically won Magic # when the Geezmo began going up all by itself.

Another I can remember from Tony Harrison's site is a playing of Danger Price, in which a model hit the wrong button and revealed the wrong price.

Finally...on the first playing of Golden Road, the price of the first prize revealed itself prematurely.  Could've been worse...could've been the final prize! (Or maybe that actually did happen before they changed the reveal to a more fool-proof method?)

--Sam
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2005, 12:54:09 AM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Jan 1 2005, 11:50 PM\']a contestant winning Cliff Hangers when Hans went over on the second prize when it was supposed to stop on 25[/quote]

If I'm thinking of the same thing you are, that wasn't a goof resulting in a win, it was a goof that looked like a loss but was in fact a win.

There was Bob's goof in ending a Pick-a-Pair game before it was really over, and the time a contestant won Ten Chances automatically because the scrambled digit cards had accidentally dropped, revealing the prices early. (That was all three of them, wasn't it?)
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Kevin Prather

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2005, 01:32:45 AM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Jan 1 2005, 09:54 PM\'][quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Jan 1 2005, 11:50 PM\']a contestant winning Cliff Hangers when Hans went over on the second prize when it was supposed to stop on 25[/quote]

If I'm thinking of the same thing you are, that wasn't a goof resulting in a win, it was a goof that looked like a loss but was in fact a win.

[snapback]69444[/snapback]
[/quote]

No. I know what you're talking about, and it's not that. After the second prize, it was supposed to stop on 25, but it went on and they called it a loss and went to commercial. When they came back, they announced the mistake, and gave her the trip. This happened around '96, I think.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2005, 03:00:14 AM »
On the same episode as the above-mentioned Punch a Bunch incident (in fact, in the very next act), a win had to be awarded in One Away because one of the digits was...something like three away from the right number, making it impoosible to get the right answer.

[quote name=\'SamJ93\' date=\'Jan 2 2005, 12:13 AM\']Finally...on the first playing of Golden Road, the price of the first prize revealed itself prematurely.
[snapback]69442[/snapback]
[/quote]

Methinks that was the first win, not the first playing.

zachhoran

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2005, 08:02:57 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Jan 2 2005, 03:00 AM\']On the same episode as the above-mentioned Punch a Bunch incident (in fact, in the very next act), a win had to be awarded in One Away because one of the digits was...something like three away from the right number, making it impoosible to get the right answer.

[quote name=\'SamJ93\' date=\'Jan 2 2005, 12:13 AM\']Finally...on the first playing of Golden Road, the price of the first prize revealed itself prematurely.
[/quote]

Methinks that was the first win, not the first playing.
[snapback]69447[/snapback]
[/quote]

A mid 80s playing of Temptation was a blooper win because they bought out two of the gifts in the wrong order.

There was another episode with two blooper wins besides the 1989 episode Steve mentions. In November 1996, there was an episode where Bob says the other 1 is in the price of the car in Any Number when it really wasn't, so the contestant won the car. Right before the Showcase results, he awarded the Pathfinder player in the second half of the show the car because the contestant got the first three numbers exactly right without a mistake. THe player then misses the last number in a 50-50 chance, then blows the prices of all three small prizes. Bob realizes that the incorrect number had flashed in error while the contestant was stepping to the last number, so the player was awarded the car.

A few years back, one of the products less than the target price had its price revealed at the outset of Grand Game. The contestant then picks the other three prices less than the target price, and the audience has to consistently prod him to pick the other product whose price was already showing.

There was another Golden Road blooper in 1983. The price of the second prize was not loaded in right, making it easy to guess what the missing number was as most of the second number was not covered. THe contestant went on to win the third prize, however.

Rob Rosa's car win was helped by one of the readouts in Spelling Bee showing the right price of one of the small prizes before he had to price it. The audience did have to remind him that the price was already revealed.

Don't forget the recent SCSD blooper where Bob forgot to start the bonus spin on the nickel. The contestant did go on to spin a $5K bonus spin, but since the player would have won $10K if Bob would have started it on the nickel, the player was awarded the $10K.

Terry K

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2005, 08:16:58 AM »
The recent (last season) goof where they didn't catch the incorrect IUFB price and it resulted in a contestant getting up on stage not once, but TWICE, and she won a car she shouldn't have, which resulted in the contestant who should have been up there winning a car as well.

(in other words, TPIR had to award two cars, one to each contestant)

zachhoran

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2005, 08:23:18 AM »
The wrong person came up on stage to play Double Prices in 1993 due to a similar IUFB goof. They then had to give both players the prize in DP(the onstage player won)

This was not seen on camera, but during one of the IUFBs a couple of years ago, Bob started to read "Seventeen Thousand" as printed on the price card for one of the SHowcases he had in his hand in error. This could have resulted in a DSW, but I don't believe it did.

cmjb13

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2005, 09:31:56 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 2 2005, 08:23 AM\']This was not seen on camera, but during one of the IUFBs a couple of years ago, Bob started to read "Seventeen Thousand" as printed on the price card for one of the SHowcases he had in his hand in error. This could have resulted in a DSW, but I don't believe it did.
[snapback]69452[/snapback]
[/quote]
From an April 2001 taping that I attended:

During an IUFB, Barker pulled out the price and began to read it. He quietly said 17 before he stopped. They gave him the wrong price. The IUFB was only around $500. Everyone in the audience heard it. Barker wanted to reveal what the 17 was for, but Roger stopped him claiming it was important. Everyone knew it was for the showcase. The guy at the end of the showcase bid $17k. Total was $17K+ and won. No DSW.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2005, 09:32:38 AM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Don Howard

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2005, 10:13:40 AM »
[quote name=\'SamJ93\' date=\'Jan 2 2005, 12:13 AM\']Earlier this year...a woman automatically won Magic # when the Geezmo began going up all by itself.
[/quote]
Why couldn't the woman just give it to Bob orally?
Perhaps I should rephrase that. With the Geezmo malfunctioning, why was the contestant automatically awarded the gift when she could have just as easily told Bob her guess out loud?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2005, 10:14:23 AM by Don Howard »

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2005, 01:04:38 PM »
Don, I think the answer here is, "that's just the way they decided to do it."  I know that there was something like a minute and a half of stagehands trying to fix the game edited out of that playing, so maybe by that point they were just sick of dealing with it.

WhammyPower

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2005, 02:49:58 PM »
Hmm, nobody seems to have mentioned any of the Penny Ante malfunctions, one of which I have a video of.  I've temporarily uploaded it here.

BrandonFG

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2005, 03:07:03 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Jan 2 2005, 09:31 AM\'][quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 2 2005, 08:23 AM\']This was not seen on camera, but during one of the IUFBs a couple of years ago, Bob started to read "Seventeen Thousand" as printed on the price card for one of the SHowcases he had in his hand in error. This could have resulted in a DSW, but I don't believe it did.
[snapback]69452[/snapback]
[/quote]
From an April 2001 taping that I attended:

During an IUFB, Barker pulled out the price and began to read it. He quietly said 17 before he stopped. They gave him the wrong price. The IUFB was only around $500. Everyone in the audience heard it. Barker wanted to reveal what the 17 was for, but Roger stopped him claiming it was important. Everyone knew it was for the showcase. The guy at the end of the showcase bid $17k. Total was $17K+ and won. No DSW.
[snapback]69454[/snapback]
[/quote]

Smart thinking on the contestant's part, but didn't that set up an unfair advantage for his showcase opponent? I mean, it seems obvious that it was a showcase price, so shouldn't his opponent have been given something. Mind you, not an entire showcase for the opponent.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

cmjb13

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2005, 03:24:15 PM »
Smart thinking on the contestant's part, but didn't that set up an unfair advantage for his showcase opponent? I mean, it seems obvious that it was a showcase price, so shouldn't his opponent have been given something. Mind you, not an entire showcase for the opponent.
[snapback]69473[/snapback]
I should clarify that when Barker was told it was important, it wasn't heard very loudly, but it didn't take much for people to figure it out what the price was for.

If the contestants are not smart enough to recognize it themselves and take advantage of it, that's their problem.

And it's still not guaranteed at that poing. It's a 50/50 chance on which showcase it is.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2005, 03:38:57 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2005, 03:44:17 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Jan 2 2005, 03:24 PM\']And it's still not guaranteed at that poing. It's a 50/50 chance on which showcase it is.[/quote]

That depends on the showcases. If mine has a van in it, no way am I bidding $17K.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin