Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Burning Bullseye Question  (Read 6345 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Burning Bullseye Question
« on: January 05, 2005, 03:03:29 PM »
If one player missed a question, the opponent got control, but I don't know exactly how that worked:

Did the opponent have to answer the missed question correctly to take over control?  Or did the new player get a fresh question from the pile?  If the opponent needed to answer the missed question correctly, what happened if he didn't; did the original spinner stay on the button?

(Whew, I almost confused myself on that.)
If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2005, 03:11:49 PM »
Yes, the opponent had to answer the missed question correctly to take control. If he/she answered incorrectly, then it went back to the first player with a new question.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Ian Wallis

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2005, 03:46:37 PM »
Although I think "Bullseye" is a great show, that was one flaw I saw in the format - that the contract had to be completed before moving on.  If you had a large contract to be filled - say 4 questions - theoretically you could be "stuck" on that contract the whole show if both contestants kept missing.  Near the end of the run many of the questions became multiple choice (especially when the celebrities took over), but for the first year or so it was open-ended.  Maybe they should have made a rule that the contract was null and void if it wasn't completed in X number of questions.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2005, 04:52:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jan 5 2005, 01:46 PM\']Maybe they should have made a rule that the contract was null and void if it wasn't completed in X number of questions.
[snapback]70072[/snapback]
[/quote]
Or, alternately, they could have signed up smarter contestants. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TalkingHeadsFan

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2005, 05:38:15 PM »
Also, I thought Bullseye was too slow of a game. One Main Game round took long enough, never mind a possible 3...Take for example when GSN ran Celeb. Bullseye eps for the Feast Of Favorites...No bonus island to be found...

I think the same thing can be said about Blockbusters...Just too much main game. Sure, it makes the bonus round more special, but it gets a little tedious after a while, especially after they cycle through 4 or 5 questions just for one square.

Johnissoevil

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2005, 05:46:30 PM »
[quote name=\'TalkingHeadsFan\' date=\'Jan 5 2005, 05:38 PM\']Also, I thought Bullseye was too slow of a game. One Main Game round took long enough, never mind a possible 3...Take for example when GSN ran Celeb. Bullseye eps for the Feast Of Favorites...No bonus island to be found...

I think the same thing can be said about Blockbusters...Just too much main game. Sure, it makes the bonus round more special, but it gets a little tedious after a while, especially after they cycle through 4 or 5 questions just for one square.
[snapback]70097[/snapback]
[/quote]

I still remember one episode of TJW that aired on GSN the week before the dark period kicked off.  They started a brand new game at the start of the episode.  Neither contestant was able to score during the first segment, so when it was time for commercial, Jack said "I'll tell you what.  I'll let you both take a breather, and when we return, we will resume this game."  I honestly thought that game would take up more than just one episode at first.
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

ChuckNet

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2005, 06:18:20 PM »
Also, I thought Bullseye was too slow of a game. One Main Game round took long enough, never mind a possible 3...Take for example when GSN ran Celeb. Bullseye eps for the Feast Of Favorites...No bonus island to be found...

Which may have also been due in part to celebs Lynn Redgrave and Harvey Korman having a "dumb-off" the entire ep and really dragging down the game.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

aaron sica

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2005, 06:25:52 PM »
[quote name=\'TalkingHeadsFan\' date=\'Jan 5 2005, 05:38 PM\']Also, I thought Bullseye was too slow of a game. One Main Game round took long enough, never mind a possible 3...Take for example when GSN ran Celeb. Bullseye eps for the Feast Of Favorites...No bonus island to be found...

[snapback]70097[/snapback]
[/quote]

I remember watching the show at age 6 or 7, and hoping they wouldn't land on 5 spins to fulfill the contract, because it took so damn long.....
« Last Edit: January 05, 2005, 06:26:47 PM by aaron sica »

ilb4ever2000

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2005, 07:59:18 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jan 5 2005, 06:18 PM\']

Which may have also been due in part to celebs Lynn Redgrave and Harvey Korman having a "dumb-off" the entire ep and really dragging down the game.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")
[snapback]70107[/snapback]
[/quote]

Didn't the celeb episodes have 2-out-of-3 matches, while the non-celeb ones were just one game (ala TJW and TTD)?

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2005, 08:14:55 PM »
Didn't the celeb episodes have 2-out-of-3 matches, while the non-celeb ones were just one game (ala TJW and TTD)?

Yes. This decision I thought was surprising - anybody could see the main game took forever...not to mention the bonus game seemed so weird and watered down played for cash and played by celebrities who were risking a charity's money. The whole celeb. period was just stupid.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

zachhoran

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2005, 09:44:07 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Jan 5 2005, 08:14 PM\']

Yes. This decision I thought was surprising - anybody could see the main game took forever...not to mention the bonus game seemed so weird and watered down played for cash and played by celebrities who were risking a charity's money. The whole celeb. period was just stupid.

-Jason
[snapback]70140[/snapback]
[/quote]

Going to two-out-of-three matches meant they didn't have to book as many celebs. Playing for all cash instead of the token B&E bonus game prize package doesn't seem as watered down when you realize how much a contestant, let alone a charity, REALLY wants a Morse Disco jukebox.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2005, 09:45:43 PM by zachhoran »

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2005, 05:09:36 AM »
The celeberty episodes did drag the game big time.  The regular players seemed to manage the game more effectively in terms of answering questions.  However, there should've been a null & void contract rule as was stated earlier.  To improve on that, if the original player missed, the second player answers it right, but that imediately terminates the contract(null & void).  The same null & void rule would kick in if NEITHER player answered the question correctly.

Even better would be a timed round instead of a $1,000($2,000 later on) bank winner so that whichever player had the most money banked wins.  As for ties, a tie-breaker question is used, if a player buzzed in(assuming they had buzzers on there), a right answer wins, a wrong answer gives the game to their opponent.  That's what they SHOULD'VE done.  It was a good game but the contract aspect was kind of akward at best.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2005, 12:19:38 PM »
I think we're putting to much blame on the design of the game itself (though the celeb stupidity admittedly didn't help.  That's a big reason why celebs work on Jeopardy and not this -- fixed game length.)  When you look at the dollar amounts involved, there should be no reason why one cannot easily complete a full main game and bonus round.   The length of each in Bullseye should be about twice as long as on TJW, where you often saw two of each per show.

If it got dragged down that much farther, you have to look to the people responsible for the pacing.  For example, Jim Lange.  He's one of those guys who are capable, but, like a Bill Cullen, could drag down a game intended to be fast-paced.  I really don't want a game recap in between each question, ya know.

The game could have been made much more entertaining with a swift kick in the pants.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

Don Howard

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2005, 12:27:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Johnissoevil\' date=\'Jan 5 2005, 05:46 PM\']I still remember one episode of TJW...They started a brand new game at the start of the episode.  Neither contestant was able to score during the first segment, so when it was time for commercial, Jack said "I'll tell you what.  I'll let you both take a breather, and when we return, we will resume this game." 
[snapback]70101[/snapback]
[/quote]
This I wonder. At this point, was Jack tempted to say, "At least you know this game isn't fixed".

JMFabiano

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2005, 05:09:07 PM »
On the topic of Bullseye...and this kind of ties in with the "worst case scenario" thread, except it's, well, a BEST case scenario...has anyone ever gotten the three bullseyes in the bonus game on the first spin?  Regardless, anyone know what would've happened money-wise if they did?  (obviously, no money in the pot to double and all)
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.