Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 30th Anniversary  (Read 7377 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
30th Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2005, 01:58:57 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jan 6 2005, 01:08 PM\'] I really did enjoy both shows, even with the "Less Money Syndrome," and always looked forward to my days off from school.[/quote]
Ahh yes. I was fortunate enough to have chicken pox the day these two shows premiered. I saw it once; was shocked that it wasn't just like the USA reruns on at the time; and I went back to Price.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

uncamark

30th Anniversary
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2005, 05:42:55 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jan 6 2005, 01:08 PM\'][quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jan 6 2005, 10:38 AM\']Interesting thing (to me) about the 1993 run of Scrabble and Scattergories is they ran seamlessly back-to-back. In my city, where the hour of games began at 11am, Scrabble ended at 11:30 (and I do mean 11:30--not 11:28) followed immediately--without even a station ID slide--into Scattergories. There was also no network announcer talking over the end credits.
Sure, they were done on the cheap, but they were still entertaining and was I sorry to see them go.
[snapback]70219[/snapback]
[/quote]

It surprised me when they went straight to Scattergories  as well, without even so much as an NBC peacock.

[snapback]70246[/snapback]
[/quote]

It seems to me that the original announced plan was to make the hour "The Scrabble/Scattergories Hour," basically do both shows on the same set and have Chuck toss to Dick at the bottom of the hour.  (You will remember that the two themes for the shows were similar-sounding.)  Most likely, someone said that there would be a better chance for clearance if they made officially made the one show two shows and not demand that the affiliates clear the entire hour.  However, they still ran seamless between the two shows (and made up for it by placing the station break in the last break of "Scrabble").

aaron sica

30th Anniversary
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2005, 06:29:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jan 6 2005, 08:35 AM\']That was odd scheduling ABC had during that show's final months at 2PM.
Ninety minutes of soap operas (Ryan's Hope and All My Children) from 12:30-2:00 and two hours of soap operas (One Live To Live, General Hospital and The Edge Of Night) from 2:30-4:30 with The $20,000 Pyramid in the middle of the big soap block from 2-2:30.
[snapback]70195[/snapback]
[/quote]

CBS also did some scheduling like that in the '70s, too, don't forget...

From 11/7/77 to 2/1/80 - From 11:30am (11/7/77 to 4/23/79) to 4:00pm, virtually wall to wall soaps (save for a half hour at either 12:00 or 1:00, depending on when Y&R did not air) until 3:30pm, when it was a sitcom rerun, whether it be AITF (until 9/78), M*A*S*H (9/78 to 9/79), or One Day at a Time (9/79 to 2/80).
« Last Edit: January 06, 2005, 08:33:49 PM by aaron sica »

ChuckNet

30th Anniversary
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2005, 10:17:35 PM »
And NBC got into the act, as well, for a time in 1982 when WoF was the only GS on their daytime lineup (excluding semi-game Fantasy)...it was surrounded by sitcom reruns (Diff'rent Strokes, The Facts of Life) and soaps (Texas, Search For Tomorrow, The Doctors).

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

BrandonFG

30th Anniversary
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2005, 10:26:02 PM »
Regarding the sitcoms: nowadays, most sitcoms hit syndication after 4 seasons and/or 100 episodes. In the case of a midseason replacement, it's 5 seasons. However, in reading old "Broadcasting" magazines, I noticed many sitcoms didn't hit syndication until years later. For example, Facts of Life came out in 1986 or so. Was this to keep the networks from competing with their daytime reruns?
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

aaron sica

30th Anniversary
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2005, 10:50:43 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jan 6 2005, 10:26 PM\']Regarding the sitcoms: nowadays, most sitcoms hit syndication after 4 seasons and/or 100 episodes. In the case of a midseason replacement, it's 5 seasons. However, in reading old "Broadcasting" magazines, I noticed many sitcoms didn't hit syndication until years later. For example, Facts of Life came out in 1986 or so. Was this to keep the networks from competing with their daytime reruns?
[snapback]70334[/snapback]
[/quote]

Actually (and I think someone said this in another thread...apologies for repeating myself)...a lot of sitcoms didn't hit syndication until their NETWORK (prime-time) run was over...And if they did, sometimes their titles were different, to avoid confusion with the first-run shows. "Marcus Welby, MD" became "Robert Young, Family Doctor". "Happy Days" got "Again" tacked on to the title. "Laverne & Shirley" got "& Company" tacked on to the title.

And I know I've said THIS before, but I miss the daytime reruns. I fell in love with a lot of sitcoms that way!

Craig Karlberg

30th Anniversary
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2005, 05:16:36 AM »
And IIRC, Emergency! did the same thing when the syndie version added the "One" at the end of the tittle.

As far as the Scrabble/Scattegories hour goes, I only remember the 1993 version of Scrabbke though I think I saw Scattegories at least once(perhaps it was on satellite).

Seemless TV is nothing new but it sure has its roots way back in 1977 to a certain extent.

Ian Wallis

30th Anniversary
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2005, 09:06:38 AM »
...a lot of sitcoms didn't hit syndication until their NETWORK (prime-time) run was over...And if they did, sometimes their titles were different, to avoid confusion with the first-run shows. "Marcus Welby, MD" became "Robert Young, Family Doctor". "Happy Days" got "Again" tacked on to the title. "Laverne & Shirley" got "& Company" tacked on to the title.

In the 60s and early 70s, when daytime sitcom reruns were very popular on daytime lineups, most shows wouldn't hit syndication until well after their primetime runs had ended.  This was because the network was still running the show in daytime.  Cases in point:  "Bewitched" ended primetime in '72, but didn't hit syndication until '73 because it was still on in daytime; "Brady Bunch" ended in primetime in '74 but didn't hit syndication until '75; and "I Love Lucy" stayed on CBS daytime for years, so it didn't hit syndication until well after it's primetime run had finished.  In the late '70s, producers realized what a goldmine syndication could be, and that's when the shows hit syndication while still on the network.

After a while the daytime repeats must have grown stale, witness CBS's Labor Day 1972 decision to drop the repeats and add three game shows.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

zachhoran

30th Anniversary
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2005, 09:44:09 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jan 7 2005, 09:06 AM\']

After a while the daytime repeats must have grown stale, witness CBS's Labor Day 1972 decision to drop the repeats and add three game shows.
[snapback]70388[/snapback]
[/quote]

It still continued to some degree after 1972. CBS still had as many as three sitcom reruns in the daily schedule back in the early 80s, and NBC had Facts of Life reruns for three-plus years at 10AM in the 80s, and a spell of Sanford and Son reruns in the mid-late 70s. ABC had a lot of sitcom reruns on the schedule in the 80s, particularly when the game shows they introduced crashed and burned quickly. NBC stopped airing sitcom reruns in daytime for good after the Summer of 1990; 227 and the Golden Girls aired in reruns in 1989-90. CBS stopped after Designing Women reruns ended in mid-1992(DW was their first sitcom rerun in daytime since September 1982). ABC stopped airing reruns of sitcoms when MG90 premiered.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
30th Anniversary
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2005, 10:08:04 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 7 2005, 08:44 AM\']NBC stopped airing sitcom reruns in daytime for good after the Summer of 1990; 227 and the Golden Girls aired in reruns in 1989-90.
[snapback]70393[/snapback]
[/quote]
You are incorrect, sir.  I do believe FULL HOUSE reruns displaced TTTT9x (which wrapped up in May 1991).

Doug
« Last Edit: January 07, 2005, 10:11:52 AM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
30th Anniversary
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2005, 11:42:45 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Jan 7 2005, 08:08 AM\']You are incorrect, sir.  I do believe FULL HOUSE reruns displaced TTTT9x (which wrapped up in May 1991).
[/quote]
If that is so, it's because your local affiliate did it, because I can't see any reason why NBC would run reruns nationally of what was an ABC show.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

zachhoran

30th Anniversary
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2005, 11:48:55 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 7 2005, 11:42 AM\'][quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Jan 7 2005, 08:08 AM\']You are incorrect, sir.  I do believe FULL HOUSE reruns displaced TTTT9x (which wrapped up in May 1991).
[/quote]
If that is so, it's because your local affiliate did it, because I can't see any reason why NBC would run reruns nationally of what was an ABC show.
[snapback]70422[/snapback]
[/quote]

SRIV is right. TTTT9x was replaced by Full House reruns, and they did air across the board for a few months on NBC. NBC must have somehow picked up the rights to air this from Telepictures or WB or whomever.

GSWitch

30th Anniversary
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2005, 12:03:08 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 7 2005, 10:42 AM\'][quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Jan 7 2005, 08:08 AM\']You are incorrect, sir.  I do believe FULL HOUSE reruns displaced TTTT9x (which wrapped up in May 1991).
[/quote]
[/quote]

He's telling the truth.  NBC did have reruns of an ABC show.

It was also done back in the 1960's when Make Room For Daddy reruns aired on NBC instead of ABC since they had it in prime time.  So it's been done twice.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
30th Anniversary
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2005, 12:19:25 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 7 2005, 10:48 AM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 7 2005, 11:42 AM\']If that is so, it's because your local affiliate did it, because I can't see any reason why NBC would run reruns nationally of what was an ABC show.
[/quote]

SRIV is right. TTTT9x was replaced by Full House reruns, and they did air across the board for a few months on NBC. NBC must have somehow picked up the rights to air this from Telepictures or WB or whomever.
[snapback]70424[/snapback]
[/quote]
That's MISTER SRIV to you, buster!  :)  (Like Mark O., I'd actually prefer people using my name rather than my alias--not to be confused with Jennifer Garner's ;-) ).

I found it a bit strange as well when I first saw that NBC was picking up FH reruns, given that it had run on ABC for all those years (and a little perturbed--I liked TTTT9x and was sorry to see it go).  This was right before NBC did a total revamp of getting more daytime talk programs on the air (my guess is that the reruns were an economical pick up).

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Ian Wallis

30th Anniversary
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2005, 02:00:23 PM »
I found it a bit strange as well when I first saw that NBC was picking up FH reruns, given that it had run on ABC for all those years (and a little perturbed--I liked TTTT9x and was sorry to see it go). This was right before NBC did a total revamp of getting more daytime talk programs on the air (my guess is that the reruns were an economical pick up).

I think it's because in most cases daytime reruns are sold to the networks just like they'd be sold into syndication.  There was a 1968 TVGuide article that stated ABC paid $9 million for the rights to daytime "Bewitched" reruns.  I suppose they could have wound up on another network during the day if ABC hadn't been prepared to pay that high a price.  Most of the time a network will air daytime repeats of a show they air in primetime likely because they don't want another network to be associated with their hit show - but in "Full House's" case, I guess NBC paid more.

Re. "To Tell the Truth", I'd like to have seen the '90s version last longer as well.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!