Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Strange "Jeopardy 2nd Edition" Experience  (Read 3778 times)

KyleCHaight

Strange "Jeopardy 2nd Edition" Experience
« on: January 06, 2005, 05:57:27 PM »
I was playing "Jeopardy! 2nd Edition" earlier, when the category "Name the Director" came up. I clicked on the $200 clue and the answer "Terminator" came up. I responded with "Who is James Cameron?" and was correct.

The $400 clue was "The Abyss." I buzzed in and again replied "Who is James Cameron?" and was correct.

The $600 clue was "Pirahna II." By this time, I was becoming incredulous. I buzzed in and yet again replied with "Who is James Cameron?" and was correct!

The $800 clue was "True Lies." What the hell is going on? I rang in and replied "Who is James Cameron?" to earn $800 more.

The $1000 clue was "Lethal Weapon." The curse had been broken as the correct response was "Who is Richard Donner?"

But still, four straight clues where the correct response is "James Cameron"? That seems a bit suspicious to me.

Has anything like this happened on real "Jeopardy!"? Have you experienced it while playing the game, could this be some sort of glitch or was it the game designers just screwing around?

Steve McClellan

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 06:13:26 PM »
They've done similar things on the show, though they're often somewhat more clever. For example, in a famous names category, have the responses be Will Smith, Anna Nicole Smith, Joseph Smith, Dean Smith, and Quincy Jones. Or, in a hodgepodge category (I'm using overly simple clues, but you get the drift):

$200: Second letter of the Roman alphabet
$400: Infinitive of the verb whose other forms include am, is, and was
$600: A spelling or quilting contest
$800: These insects are found in the genus Apis
$1000: First name of the actress who played Blanche on The Golden Girls

(Okay, admit it. How many of you missed the last one? ;)

zachhoran

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 07:40:39 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowsteve\' date=\'Jan 6 2005, 06:13 PM\']They've done similar things on the show, though they're often somewhat more clever. For example, in a famous names category, have the responses be Will Smith, Anna Nicole Smith, Joseph Smith, Dean Smith, and Quincy Jones.

[snapback]70293[/snapback]
[/quote]

There was a first round board in 1988 where the all 30 clues had John or some form on John in each correct response.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005, 10:34:19 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowsteve\' date=\'Jan 6 2005, 07:13 PM\'](Okay, admit it. How many of you missed the last one? ;)[/quote]
And therein lies the fun in the category, supposedly.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2005, 09:13:31 AM »
But still, four straight clues where the correct response is "James Cameron"? That seems a bit suspicious to me.

Has anything like this happened on real "Jeopardy!"?

There was at least once where a category had the exact same question for four straight answers, and then the bottom one had something completely different.  I'm sure I saw this within the past year.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

zachhoran

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2005, 10:35:24 AM »
Earlier this week, there was a J! category called Let's Get It "ON", where "ON" would appear in each correct response. All correct responses ended in EON.