Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Riddle me this.......  (Read 4892 times)

garfybrewer

Riddle me this.......
« on: January 12, 2005, 12:55:21 PM »
I noticed that Chub Feeney, the former NL commissioner, was on Jeopardy back in the 80s- can somebody give more details to his appearance on Jeopardy?

davemackey

Riddle me this.......
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 06:21:33 PM »
[quote name=\'garfybrewer\' date=\'Jan 12 2005, 01:55 PM\']I noticed that Chub Feeney, the former NL commissioner, was on Jeopardy back in the 80s- can somebody give more details to his appearance on Jeopardy?
[snapback]71047[/snapback]
[/quote]

Don't recall exactly when, but he did play on regular versions of the show, not celebrity versions. I do remember seeing him.

The actual parlance for the head of each league is "league president" - not commissioner. A commissioner is someone like a Judge Kenesaw Mountain Landis, or a Bowie Kuhn, or a Bart Giamatti. The jury is still out on Bud Selig.

Steve McClellan

Riddle me this.......
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 06:31:58 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Jan 12 2005, 03:21 PM\']A commissioner is someone like a Judge Kenesaw Mountain Landis, or a Bowie Kuhn, or a Bart Giamatti. The jury is still out on Bud Selig.[/quote]
Gary Bettman? ;)

ObGameShow: Florida Panthers' forward Valeri Bure is married to Candace Cameron Bure, who appeared on Full House with Bob Saget. Bob presented America's Funniest Home Videos, a job currently held by Tom Bergeron, who once occupied a Hollywood Square on the same episode as... Charles Nelson Reilly.

This concludes today's game of Five Degrees of Charles Nelson Reilly. :)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 06:33:41 PM by gameshowsteve »

Rastaub

Riddle me this.......
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005, 12:36:35 AM »
I have part of his episode on tape. I'd have to check the tape to be positive, but I think he finished in third.

His appearance brings up a decent question, has anyone of his stature ever appeared as a contestant? While Im sure that alot of people wouldnt have know him then or now, he was a ranking offical in MLB.  Moreover, are there any eligibility requirements keeping athletes off game shows?

Steve McClellan

Riddle me this.......
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2005, 12:51:01 AM »
[quote name=\'Rastaub\' date=\'Jan 12 2005, 09:36 PM\']Moreover, are there any eligibility requirements keeping athletes off game shows?
[/quote]
Not in any show that I'm familiar with. It'd just be up to the CC and producer whether to put a celeb on in a regular game. IIRC, the Dawson-era Feud once had a Major-League pitcher and his family on a regular episode.

brianhenke

Riddle me this.......
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2005, 01:15:51 AM »
[quote name=\'gameshowsteve\' date=\'Jan 13 2005, 12:51 AM\'][quote name=\'Rastaub\' date=\'Jan 12 2005, 09:36 PM\']Moreover, are there any eligibility requirements keeping athletes off game shows?
[/quote]
Not in any show that I'm familiar with. It'd just be up to the CC and producer whether to put a celeb on in a regular game. IIRC, the Dawson-era Feud once had a Major-League pitcher and his family on a regular episode.
[snapback]71113[/snapback]
[/quote]

Gambit (I believe) once had then-NFL kicker Ray Wersching and his wife on a regular episode.

Brian

100 plus 100 equals 600?
The leaves start to change color in May?

MikeK

• Martha!
Riddle me this.......
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2005, 01:35:46 AM »
[quote name=\'Rastaub\' date=\'Jan 13 2005, 12:36 AM\']Moreover, are there any eligibility requirements keeping athletes off game shows?[/quote]
No.  Athletes have played as civilian contestants more than once.  Just a few weeks ago, Ralph Branca was mentioned on this very board, as he was among the best Concentration players ever.  GSN aired an ep. of Hollywood Squares from 1975 with Jerry DaVanon (major league shortstop, father of current Angels player Jeff DaVanon) as a contestant.  NFL players Bruce and Clay Matthews were both on a syndie Dawson Feud around 1983.

mmb5

Riddle me this.......
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2005, 08:38:58 AM »
Few more:

Bob Geren, Yankees catcher, was on Combs Feud
Steve Bryant, NFL receiver, was on PYL and was the no whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamies guy

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Ian Wallis

Riddle me this.......
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2005, 09:07:48 AM »
Back then though, these athletes weren't making the multi-million dollar salaries that they are now.  I read in a book somewhere (I think it may have been the "Come on Down" book) that producers wouldn't want someone on the show who was either too needy, or so well off that viewers wouldn't route for them.  

I doubt you'd see a major league sports star on a game show today - unless it's a special celebrity episode.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

CaseyAbell

Riddle me this.......
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2005, 09:34:12 AM »
NFL coach Brian Billick made an appearance on Match Game way back when. Bloggers have used that less-than-successful appearance to trash Billick when they're in a foul mood. (Sorry to use the Google cache version of the first link with the broken graphics. The page itself seems to be out of commission.)

BTW, the league president offices don't exist any more in baseball. They lost their purpose when the leagues stopped using separate umpiring crews.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2005, 09:45:42 AM by CaseyAbell »

GS Warehouse

Riddle me this.......
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2005, 11:04:06 AM »
Staying in baseball, Kim Dunning, wife of former MLB pitcher Steve Dunning, was a contestant on TTD in 1983.  She pointed out that Steve was (at the time, at least) the last American League pitcher to hit a grand slam, and Wink said with the designated hitter in place in the AL, he'd be the last ever.  Of course, I'm sure neither ever envisioned interleague play in the future.  I forget if there were any salamis hit by AL pitchers since 1997.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Riddle me this.......
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2005, 12:01:54 PM »
[quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' date=\'Jan 13 2005, 07:34 AM\']BTW, the league president offices don't exist any more in baseball. They lost their purpose when the leagues stopped using separate umpiring crews.
[snapback]71125[/snapback]
[/quote]
Who, then, awards the respective League Championship Trophies?
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Jan 13 2005, 09:04 AM\']I forget if there were any salamis hit by AL pitchers since 1997.[/quote]
Never mind that, how many NL pitchers have hit salamis in the last seven seasons?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

MikeK

• Martha!
Riddle me this.......
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2005, 12:33:12 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 13 2005, 12:01 PM\']Never mind that, how many NL pitchers have hit salamis in the last seven seasons?[/quote]
Sorry to go Zach here but according to ESPN.com, Robert Person hit one for the Phillies in 2002.  I thought another NL pitcher hit a grand slam in that time (Mike Hampton, the year he hit 7 with Colorado?), but the only result I found was Person.

Since Jason brought up a player's wife, I'll add this one--the wife of Terry Adams, a teammate of Person's in Philly, won a showcase on an ep. of TPiR in 1998.

CaseyAbell

Riddle me this.......
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2005, 02:57:01 PM »
Who, then, awards the respective League Championship Trophies?
Baseball has no lack of brass hats to hand out hardware. The elimination of the league presidents' jobs happened quite a while ago. This story offers some details if anybody's interested, and this site memorializes the jobs with a sad "Position discontinued." The story also mentions Marge Schott! How soon they forget. And no, the Montreal Expos never got that stadium. The team figuratively, then literally went south.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2005, 03:39:00 PM by CaseyAbell »

zachhoran

Riddle me this.......
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2005, 07:26:48 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Jan 13 2005, 12:33 PM\']

Since Jason brought up a player's wife, I'll add this one--the wife of Terry Adams, a teammate of Person's in Philly, won a showcase on an ep. of TPiR in 1998.
[snapback]71144[/snapback]
[/quote]

Another player's wife mention, though not baseball. Janet Jones, Mrs. Wayne Gretzky, was on TPIR in 1983.