Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Other newscasters who would make great hosts  (Read 7492 times)

johnnya2k3

Other newscasters who would make great hosts
« on: January 14, 2005, 03:54:40 PM »
(My apologies; I pressed the "submit" button too soon)

Months ago, we brought what past and present sportscasters would be also great at trying their hands on doing a game show. Walter Cronkite did it early in his TV career with "It's News To Me"; John Charles Daly of course pulled double duty with "What's My Line" and his ABC newscast (which only got handfuls of viewers compared to CBS' Douglas Edwards and NBC's Chet Huntley and David Brinkley); and Pat Kiernan last year tried with The WB's "Studio 7."

But who else would also be good, and it doesn't matter if it's local or network talent? John Tracy (KTUU Anchorage) would give it a shot, as would Lloyd Robertson, Mark McEwen (former Early Show weatherman who's now at the Orlando CBS station), the late Jerry Dunphy, Arnold Diaz (the "Shame on You!" guy from WCBS), Jim Watkins (WPIX), even Bob Miller (KTVF Fairbanks). Peter Mansbridge (CBC) and Trevor McDonald (ITV) would be too boring.

As for entertainment show hosts (and no, don't even THINK about mentioning Pat O'Brien!!)? We already know about Bob Goen, Robb Weller and Billy Bush, but Nancy O'Dell, Tony Potts, Kevin Frazier, Patrick Stinson (E!), even Mary Hart or EVEN my girl Maria Menounos would fit the bill!

Jonathan Allen, also hoping my good buddy Charles Fedullo (former newscaster who now teaches journalism at UAF) would give game shows a try)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 04:02:16 PM by johnnya2k3 »

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 04:05:30 PM »
You didn't have to start a whole new topic because you screwed up the first time.  The edit button is your friend.

And Pat O'Brien would kick ass as a game show host.

WhammyPower

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005, 04:21:28 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Jan 14 2005, 04:05 PM\']Pat O'Brien would kick ass as a game show host.
[snapback]71260[/snapback]
[/quote]
SNL spoofs galore!

And I think Chris Harrison (You know, the guy from The Bachelor) would make a great host.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 04:26:47 PM by WhammyPower »

johnnya2k3

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005, 04:22:38 PM »
[quote name=\'WhammyPower\' date=\'Jan 14 2005, 01:21 PM\'][quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Jan 14 2005, 04:05 PM\']Pat O'Brien would kick ass as a game show host.
[snapback]71260[/snapback]
[/quote]
SNL spoofs galore!
[snapback]71262[/snapback]
[/quote]

What did I say about Pat O'Brien? Can we just focus on the topic, please??
« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 04:36:44 PM by johnnya2k3 »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005, 04:45:05 PM »
Arthur "The Scud Stud" Kent would be good as well as Dan "What's the Frequency, Kenneth" Rather.  I like the idea of Hannity and Colmes doing a Lohman & Barkley-type show.  Always wanted to see John McLaughlin do a game, just so he could tell the contestant he is "WRONG!!"  However, all these choices pale in comparision to Pat O'Brien.  Did you know Pat's initials are P.O.?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2005, 06:01:48 PM »
Pat is the awesomest!  

I watch The Insider with the sound turned down and pretend he's hosting a game show.

Did you know he has the same name as the actor Pat O'Brien?  Isn't that amazing?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2005, 06:11:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jan 14 2005, 04:01 PM\']Pat is the awesomest! 

I watch The Insider with the sound turned down and pretend he's hosting a game show.

Did you know he has the same name as the actor Pat O'Brien?  Isn't that amazing?
[snapback]71267[/snapback]
[/quote]
Man, you KNOW it's good when the moderators are getting in on the action. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

goongas

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2005, 08:51:24 PM »
I think Anderson Cooper of CNN would make a good game show host.

Don Howard

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2005, 09:28:54 PM »
Ah, yes. Good subject. Behold!
WCBS Radio's Ed Crane for game show announcer.
Also, KNBC's Furnell Chapman for announcer.
For host, Judd Hambrick (formerly of Action3News in Cleveland), Mike Schneider (formerly of World News This Morning and Weekend Today and presently with Bloomberg On The Markets) and Nightline host Ted Koppel.
NBC Nightly News anchor Brian Williams would make a great panelist for What's My Line? or To Tell The Truth.
WLS's Joel Daly would play guitar for the show's theme music.
Faith Daniels could do the Revlon commercials.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 09:31:25 PM by Don Howard »

Fedya

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2005, 09:47:23 PM »
How could everybody forget Mike Wallace?
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2005, 09:51:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Jan 14 2005, 09:47 PM\']How could everybody forget Mike Wallace?
[snapback]71294[/snapback]
[/quote]

I know a lot of folks don't like proposals on the board, but I'd like to get Mike to host my new concept "Double Parking."
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

DrBear

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2005, 10:35:42 PM »
Lynne Russell, formerly of CNN Headline News. I don't care about the show, but I wouldn't mind watching and listening to her for a half-hour :)
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

johnnya2k3

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2005, 10:47:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jan 14 2005, 06:51 PM\'][quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Jan 14 2005, 09:47 PM\']How could everybody forget Mike Wallace?
[snapback]71294[/snapback]
[/quote]

I know a lot of folks don't like proposals on the board, but I'd like to get Mike to host my new concept "Double Parking."
[snapback]71295[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well, Mike did host "Nothing But the Truth", the pilot for what would be "To Tell The Truth." And didn't Anderson Cooper do "The Mole" while he was anchoring ABC's "World News Now"?

But like I said, Maria Menounos would be a killer host for Dog Eat Dog...if it ever returns (highly doubtful; she'd rather stick with ET).

Jonathan Allen

Jay Temple

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2005, 12:07:53 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jan 14 2005, 08:28 PM\']NBC Nightly News anchor Brian Williams would make a great panelist for What's My Line? or To Tell The Truth.
[/quote]
Come to think of it, wouldn't anyone who's a good journalist and a good personality be a good candidate for TTTT?
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Unrealtor

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2005, 02:34:58 AM »
[quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'Jan 14 2005, 03:54 PM\']...Patrick Stinson (E!)...
[snapback]71258[/snapback]
[/quote]

Every time I see Patrick Stinson on TV, I'm reminded of when he was a very young reporter for the ABC affiliate here in Austin. Sometimes, I wonder whether being on E! was a step up or a step down from local news.

Speaking of people who have moved from KVUE to bigger exposure, I think Arthelle Neville (currently with "Good Day Live") would do a pretty good job. She's done audience participation already on CNN's "TalkBack Live" and seemed to have a handle on it.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."