Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Other newscasters who would make great hosts  (Read 7493 times)

johnnya2k3

Other newscasters who would make great hosts
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2005, 03:17:24 AM »
[quote name=\'Unrealtor\' date=\'Jan 14 2005, 11:34 PM\'][quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'Jan 14 2005, 03:54 PM\']...Patrick Stinson (E!)...
[snapback]71258[/snapback]
[/quote]

Every time I see Patrick Stinson on TV, I'm reminded of when he was a very young reporter for the ABC affiliate here in Austin. Sometimes, I wonder whether being on E! was a step up or a step down from local news.

Speaking of people who have moved from KVUE to bigger exposure, I think Arthelle Neville (currently with "Good Day Live") would do a pretty good job. She's done audience participation already on CNN's "TalkBack Live" and seemed to have a handle on it.
[snapback]71313[/snapback]
[/quote]
Whatever happened to Dave Nemeth, who had a brief stint on GSN after he and Arthel were fired from "Extra"?

As for Stinson? Well, it wouldn't be long till E! hired him after they saw him break the news on Princess Diana's deadly car crash for NBC.

Jonathan Allen

zachhoran

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2005, 07:48:11 AM »
[quote name=\'Unrealtor\' date=\'Jan 15 2005, 02:34 AM\']

Speaking of people who have moved from KVUE to bigger exposure, I think Arthelle Neville (currently with "Good Day Live") would do a pretty good job. She's done audience participation already on CNN's "TalkBack Live" and seemed to have a handle on it.
[snapback]71313[/snapback]
[/quote]

Arthel co-hosted the limited-run, little-seen mid 90s syndie game show Majority Rules with Marc Summers, so she had a smidge of GS experience.

dmota104

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2005, 09:25:19 AM »
Lynne Russell, formerly of CNN Headline News. I don't care about the show, but I wouldn't mind watching and listening to her for a half-hour :)

I remember her from her days in San Antonio at KENS-TV.  CNN-HN hasn't been the same since she left.

NBC Nightly News anchor Brian Williams would make a great panelist for What's My Line? or To Tell The Truth.

Somewhat agree.  He'd actually be great in the moderating role.

Keith Olbermann from MSNBC would a great choice for a game show host.  (Reportedly, when he was a Fox Sports Net anchor, he was offered the hosting gig on "Greed")

Lest we forget Geoff Edwards has worked in journalism.  He covered the JFK assassination (BobbyDarin.net notes Geoff witness the slaying of Jack Ruby).  

Plus, he hosted talk shows in LA.  And, if you remember his "Radio Tonight" show, you might recall on the website's homepage there were pictures from his careers as an actor (IIRC, he was pictured with Natalie Wood), game show host ("The New Treasure Hunt") and anchorman (again, IIRC, Geoff told me he was the 6:00pm anchor for a TV station in Tampa).

Bob Zager

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2005, 10:52:11 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jan 14 2005, 09:28 PM\']
For host, Judd Hambrick (formerly of Action3News in Cleveland), Mike Schneider (formerly of World News This Morning and Weekend Today and presently with Bloomberg On The Markets) and Nightline host Ted Koppel.
[snapback]71290[/snapback]
[/quote]

I recall reading an interview with the late Mark Goodson back in the late '80s or early 90s where he said he'd really like to have Ted Koppel host a panel show like WML? or TTTT.  I think he'd be pretty good!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2005, 05:23:25 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Jan 15 2005, 01:07 AM\']Come to think of it, wouldn't anyone who's a good journalist and a good personality be a good candidate for TTTT?[/quote]
Bingo, which is why this whole thread is a little silly.  Basically, any decent newsreader would also be a decent game show host.  No, Peter Jennings isn't going to host Let's Make A Deal, but the skills are essentially the same. In both endeavors, you are presenting the best version of yourself to an audience, unlike an actor who tries to hide his own personality behind a character he plays.

This thread is just an exercise in naming newsreaders we like, and trying to name some obscure ones so we'll sound smart.  Kinda pointless.

Except for Pat O'Brian, of course.  He's awesome!
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Don Howard

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2005, 01:15:48 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jan 15 2005, 05:23 PM\']This thread is just an exercise in naming newsreaders we like, and trying to name some obscure ones so we'll sound smart. Kinda pointless.[/quote]
But of course. Yet how else can I jack up my post-count so I can make it to The Top 5 and win the special bonus prize?
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\' Jan 15 2005, 5:23 PM\']Except for Pat O'Brian, of course.  He's awesome!
[snapback]71385[/snapback]
[/quote]
Loved that game he did with Dean Stockwell which involved turning a contestant's hair green.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2005, 04:33:33 PM »
[quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'Jan 14 2005, 04:22 PM\']What did I say about Pat O'Brien? Can we just focus on the topic, please??
[/quote]
Did someone mention Pat O'Brien?  I hear his new show, The Insider is doing fantastic!
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Don Howard

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2005, 09:59:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Jan 16 2005, 04:33 PM\'][quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'Jan 14 2005, 04:22 PM\']What did I say about Pat O'Brien? Can we just focus on the topic, please??
[/quote]
Did someone mention Pat O'Brien?  I hear his new show, The Insider is doing fantastic!
[snapback]71481[/snapback]
[/quote]
That's because Pat O'Brien has The Midas Touch. Just ask his wife.

johnnya2k3

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2005, 07:03:19 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jan 16 2005, 06:59 PM\'][quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Jan 16 2005, 04:33 PM\'][quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'Jan 14 2005, 04:22 PM\']What did I say about Pat O'Brien? Can we just focus on the topic, please??
[/quote]
[/quote]
[snapback]71514[/snapback]
[/quote]
Um...Didn't they divorce? It's true.

Back on topic...former ET host Bob Goen could be doing game shows again thanks to a development deal with Paramount.

Jonathan Allen

sshuffield70

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2005, 10:25:47 AM »
[quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'Jan 17 2005, 07:03 AM\'][quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jan 16 2005, 06:59 PM\'][quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Jan 16 2005, 04:33 PM\'][quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'Jan 14 2005, 04:22 PM\']What did I say about Pat O'Brien? Can we just focus on the topic, please??
[/quote]
[/quote]
[snapback]71514[/snapback]
[/quote]
Um...Didn't they divorce? It's true.

Back on topic...former ET host Bob Goen could be doing game shows again thanks to a development deal with Paramount.

Jonathan Allen
[snapback]71555[/snapback]
[/quote]

Maybe his wife can visit to host a round or two, eh? :) :)

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2005, 10:34:27 AM »
I'm going to fess up here, I used to be a Pat O'Brien h8er back in the late '60's when my NBC affill pre-empted "Match Game" for reruns of Pat's sitcom "Harrigan & Son."  But I grew to like the show and Pat's acting ability and I became a fan.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

johnnya2k3

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2005, 01:13:38 PM »
Can we close the topic; this is starting to get weird.

BTW, Pat started his broadcasting career as a production assistant on the "Huntley-Brinkley Report" (not long before Chet retired and the show would become "NBC Nightly News") Read here for more on him.

Jonathan Allen

DrBear

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2005, 01:41:53 PM »
Oh, and his bar in New Orleans serves a mean hurricane!
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

sshuffield70

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2005, 03:41:21 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Jan 17 2005, 01:41 PM\']Oh, and his bar in New Orleans serves a mean hurricane!
[snapback]71588[/snapback]
[/quote]

And of course, he rules "The Insider".......not!! :) :)

TimK2003

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2005, 03:52:53 PM »
Dan Rather would be the perfect host for a revival of "The Liars Club"...I was even given a secret authentic memo that proves it!!!

Actually, Jon Lovitz wouldn't be such a bad choice for a new incarnation of "Liar's Club".