Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I enjoyed this?!?  (Read 7543 times)

SamJ93

I enjoyed this?!?
« on: January 25, 2005, 01:04:49 AM »
Trying to steer discussion away from a certain poster's inane questions with a semi-smart one...

What game shows did you enjoy watching as a kid, or even just when it was originally on, but now are completely baffled as to why this appealed to you when you watch reruns/tapes of it?

I'll start, and I somehow have a feeling this will be a common one.  Press Your Luck.  As a kid, what wasn't to like? A zillion flashing lights, bright colors, cartoons...looking at it now, there doesn't seem to be much to it other than a boring, inconsequential Q&A segment and an overall mind-numbing concept.

--Sam
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

Craig Karlberg

I enjoyed this?!?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2005, 05:03:32 AM »
Growing up as a kid, LMAD from the 70's was so cool, I never knew when a zonk would show up & if they had animals on it since I liked many animals.  Now, those zonks with animals are simply just blah & I just concentrate on the gameplay aspects(I can deal with zonks without animals).

The Ol' Guy

I enjoyed this?!?
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005, 06:14:09 AM »
Blank Check
Blankety Blanks
..and somewhat..Three On A Match. Bill and the somewhat nicer than average Stewart set were the only redeeming factors.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
I enjoyed this?!?
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2005, 07:07:27 AM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'Jan 25 2005, 04:14 AM\']Blank Check
[snapback]72922[/snapback]
[/quote]
Good answer. LOVED me some Blank Check when I was little. I think it was those huge eggcrate number readouts. Imagine my disappointment when I grew up to discover that there was not one iota of gameplay in there.

(Come to think of it, I always felt the same about Mindbenders. Loved the set and the song, show had no go. (Sorry, Chris. :))
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

whewfan

I enjoyed this?!?
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2005, 07:29:37 AM »
Bill Cullen had the incredible knack of taking a "so-so" format and making it enjoyable. Blankety Blanks had a couple flaws. First, the "blankety blanks" themselves were mostly very corny punny riddles. Second, the odd format of using computer cards to select which contestant goes first was just too "gimmicky".
Also, in the episode in the trading circuit, I don't know how many times Bill had to remind the celebs that they couldn't help the players.

I admit that when we played Hot Potato at GSC10, after a couple games, I realized that the game itself was missing a lot without a host with Cullen's humor.

WhammyPower

I enjoyed this?!?
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2005, 07:49:26 AM »
Even though I have practically no recollection of it, besides the video wall thingy and Coolio.... Match Game '98.

EDIT: How could I forget Wheel 2000?
(Don't answer that)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2005, 09:42:26 AM by WhammyPower »

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
I enjoyed this?!?
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2005, 07:52:32 AM »
Probably all the childrens' shows I watched over the years that didn't air on Nickelodeon.

Oh, yeah, and I also remember watching TTD90 a couple of times. Thankfully, I don't remember Patrick's "YOU WIIIIIIIIIINNN!!!!" at all [nor do I remember the dragon's/slayer's raps during the bonus round]
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

Jimmy Owen

I enjoyed this?!?
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2005, 08:28:14 AM »
Two "Face" shows that I liked as a kid weren't as exciting to me when I saw them again on GSN: "The Face Is Familiar" and "All About Faces."  The pacing seemed to be a little off on both.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Ian Wallis

I enjoyed this?!?
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2005, 09:03:27 AM »
Blank Check
Blankety Blanks

I kind of liked "Blank Check", and certainly enjoy the one episode we have in the trading curcuit.  Although this is not really a "holy grail" of games, it's one I wouldn't mind seeing more of.  Maybe it's just those memories of watching it as a kid and thinking it was kind of cool.  If the whole series was rerun, maybe I'd think differently.

As for "Blankety Blanks", that's one of the shortest-run games in TV history - 10 weeks.  This is one of only two games to be replaced by the show it replaced.  The first is "Blackout" - as we all know - and this one replaced, and was replaced by reruns of "The Brady Bunch".
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

zachhoran

I enjoyed this?!?
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2005, 09:35:47 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jan 25 2005, 09:03 AM\']
As for "Blankety Blanks", that's one of the shortest-run games in TV history - 10 weeks.  This is one of only two games to be replaced by the show it replaced.  The first is "Blackout" - as we all know - and this one replaced, and was replaced by reruns of "The Brady Bunch".
[snapback]72933[/snapback]
[/quote]

Time Machine replaced Facts of Life reruns and was replaced by Facts of Life reruns.

tvwxman

I enjoyed this?!?
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2005, 09:41:48 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jan 25 2005, 09:03 AM\']
Blank Check
Blankety Blanks

I kind of liked "Blank Check", and certainly enjoy the one episode we have in the trading curcuit.  Although this is not really a "holy grail" of games, it's one I wouldn't mind seeing more of.  Maybe it's just those memories of watching it as a kid and thinking it was kind of cool.  If the whole series was rerun, maybe I'd think differently.

[snapback]72933[/snapback]
[/quote]

I agree with Ian's assessment of seeing "holy grail"-like shows....that still may have sucked, but nevertheless would like to see the rest of the series anyways...

That said, I feel that way towards "Rhyme and Reason" and "Mag Marble Machine"... I was hooked on the pinball game as a young child...and it was my first acquire when I got into trading twenty years later...where I promptly noticed what a bunch of poo that show was! :)
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

aaron sica

I enjoyed this?!?
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2005, 10:09:27 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 25 2005, 09:35 AM\']
Time Machine replaced Facts of Life reruns and was replaced by Facts of Life reruns.
[snapback]72941[/snapback]
[/quote]

Are you sure, Zach? IIRC, "Silver Spoons" reruns replaced Time Machine..

The Ol' Guy

I enjoyed this?!?
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2005, 10:11:36 AM »
I agree there's a potential good game buried in Blank Check - I  like the "fake out your opponents" idea - it's just that this presentation was style over substance. The set was dazzling - the game was a bit lazy. Gee, let's rip off Jackpot's rotating players for the week. Maybe a two-player game where some sort of different quiz or game allows the two to fight for control of the check digit by digit and they play until one player reaches a target amount. But I've just duplicated Jackpot again, haven't I? The Blankety-Blanks prelim game was insufferable even when I watched it..and now looking at it again, it's a game where instead of playing several clever riddles one after the other, you're playing this lame prelim for the right to solve one Jackpot-type riddle("I'm the kind of tent Snoopy would sleep in. What am I?" becomes "When Snoopy goes camping, he sleeps in a Blankety Blank"). Recyclin' Robert Stewart strikes again! But I do think when we're younger and these are our kinds of shows, we are much more tolerant of poor execution. We just want game shows to stay on forever.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2005, 10:30:23 AM by The Ol' Guy »

MikeK

• Martha!
I enjoyed this?!?
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2005, 10:11:49 AM »
Break the Bank '85
Time Machine
Press Your Luck (1985 must've been a banner year for game shows I'd regret liking 20 years later.)
Crosswits and Split Second in 1986, primarily because from what I've seen and read about their 70s incarnations make these remakes very crappy in comparison.

dzinkin

I enjoyed this?!?
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2005, 10:13:57 AM »
My pick: Anything for Money.

Of course, it did have one saving grace: Rochester's then-CBS affiliate pre-empted Press Your Luck to show it. :-)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2005, 10:14:10 AM by dzinkin »