Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pyramid clue question...  (Read 4292 times)

Kevin Prather

Pyramid clue question...
« on: January 25, 2005, 10:27:53 PM »
You are the judge on The $100,000 Pyramid. Faced with the category "What Dick Clark might say," the celebrity looks to his left and says "I'm that man standing offstage right now."

Do you hit the buzzer?

On the other side of the coin, do you buzz it on Osmond Pyramid, with Donny Osmond's name in place of Dick Clark's?

aaron sica

Pyramid clue question...
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2005, 10:30:05 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Jan 25 2005, 10:27 PM\']You are the judge on The $100,000 Pyramid. Faced with the category "What Dick Clark might say," the celebrity looks to his left and says "I'm that man standing offstage right now."

Do you hit the buzzer?

On the other side of the coin, do you buzz it on Osmond Pyramid, with Donny Osmond's name in place of Dick Clark's?
[snapback]73160[/snapback]
[/quote]

I wouldn't hit the buzzer. That's up there with, on the last $20K Pyramid, "Things Bill Cullen would say", with Bill saying "I am me", while giving the clues.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Pyramid clue question...
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005, 11:08:45 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Jan 25 2005, 08:27 PM\']You are the judge on The $100,000 Pyramid. Faced with the category "What Dick Clark might say," the celebrity looks to his left and says "I'm that man standing offstage right now."

Do you hit the buzzer?

[/quote]
I'm assuming the question of legality lies with the head gesture, since a "What X Might Say" category is pretty lenient otherwise.

That said, I say it's good. How many times has Dick advised the receiver to watch the giver's face. Looking to the left is an expression just like any other.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

Pyramid clue question...
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2005, 11:32:37 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 25 2005, 08:08 PM\']That said, I say it's good. How many times has Dick advised the receiver to watch the giver's face. Looking to the left is an expression just like any other.
[snapback]73173[/snapback]
[/quote]

That's what I thought.

Then again, I remember an episode where Dick mentioned that Adrienne Barbeau would not have been given credit for "Things that flicker" because she was using her eyes. Was that just a gaffe by Dick?

Robert Hutchinson

Pyramid clue question...
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2005, 11:45:34 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Jan 25 2005, 11:32 PM\']Then again, I remember an episode where Dick mentioned that Adrienne Barbeau would not have been given credit for "Things that flicker" because she was using her eyes. Was that just a gaffe by Dick?[/quote]

Did time run out just as she was doing so? That's the only way that makes any sense.

Oh, and as to the original question: "Who's Dick Clark?" </Donnymid contestant>
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Kevin Prather

Pyramid clue question...
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2005, 11:52:35 PM »
She flickered her eyes and said "my eyes." With about 9 seconds left, the contestant said "things that flutter", and Adrienne misheard it as flicker. As time ran out, Dick said he thought he heard flicker. At break, they checked the tape and talked to the judge. When they came back, he said something like...

"We checked the tape. There was confusion because we thought he said "flicker". He actually said "flutter." But it didn't matter, because we say "don't use your hands" and you were using your eyes, so even if he did say "flicker," they wouldn't have given it to you anyway."

It was a few days before Debbie Seppian's $100K tourney.

Little Big Brother

Pyramid clue question...
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2005, 12:36:48 AM »
You are the judge on The $100,000 Pyramid. Faced with the category "What Dick Clark might say," the celebrity looks to his left and says "I'm that man standing offstage right now."

Do you hit the buzzer?

[Smartass]Well, if the judge was a strict existentialist and questioned how Dick Clark could refer to "that" man who is himself.[/Smartass] ;)

But seriously, like everyone has said it should be perfectly legal.  And if head movements have you concerned, darting your eyes in DC's direction would probably work and be undetectable.

Jay Temple

Pyramid clue question...
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2005, 12:43:01 AM »
I won't say that they would have allowed it, but I don't think the "flutter" precedent applies.  In that instance, she was using her eyes to do the actual verb.  Looking to your left is no different than nodding your head.

I think they would have been wrong to buzz her anyway.  The rule says, "Don't use your hands."  Unless human physiology has changed a great deal, an eye is not a hand.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Kevin Prather

Pyramid clue question...
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2005, 12:50:30 AM »
What confused me was the very next day, Adrienne got away with pursing her lips for "things that are sealed". Go figure.

clemon79

Pyramid clue question...
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2005, 01:30:32 AM »
[quote name=\'Little Big Brother\' date=\'Jan 25 2005, 10:36 PM\'][Smartass]Well, if the judge was a strict existentialist and questioned how Dick Clark could refer to "that" man who is himself.[/Smartass] ;)
[/quote]
I have to admit, I thought about this as I was mulling it over. :)

clemon79

Pyramid clue question...
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2005, 01:31:50 AM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Jan 25 2005, 10:43 PM\']Unless human physiology has changed a great deal, an eye is not a hand.
[/quote]
And Thank Gawd. If it were, I'd have been arrested long ago. ;)

whewfan

Pyramid clue question...
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2005, 05:33:35 AM »
As long as she didn't POINT to Dick Clark while saying "I am that man over there" I guess it's ok.

As for the flickering of the eyes, that would be a gesture, and gestures are not allowed. She probably thought she could get away with it because she was facing away from the camera. It would be just the same if the subject was "Why you wink at someone" and you actually wink one eye while giving a clue.

MCArroyo1

Pyramid clue question...
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2005, 09:41:02 AM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Jan 25 2005, 10:27 PM\']You are the judge on The $100,000 Pyramid. Faced with the category "What Dick Clark might say," the celebrity looks to his left and says "I'm that man standing offstage right now."

Do you hit the buzzer?

[/quote]
No, but why even test the judge's patience when there are better clues out there?  Several folks probably stood offstage, but only one would fit "I host this program," or "I'm the world's oldest teenager," etc.

GS Warehouse

Pyramid clue question...
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2005, 11:10:12 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 26 2005, 01:31 AM\'][quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Jan 25 2005, 10:43 PM\']Unless human physiology has changed a great deal, an eye is not a hand.[/quote]
And Thank Gawd. If it were, I'd have been arrested long ago. ;)
[snapback]73196[/snapback]
[/quote]
I've heard of hand-eye coordination, but this is ridiculous.  OK, everybody, say it with me..

LINE...OF...THE DAY!