Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dick Clark  (Read 5797 times)

bclark71

Dick Clark
« on: February 21, 2005, 03:12:21 PM »
Not that I want anyone invading his privacy, but as a fan, I wonder how he is and hope his recovery is progressing as fast as can be.

Anybody heard anything?

dizzy

Dick Clark
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2005, 03:41:27 PM »
I haven't heard anything new, but it worries me when I hear stories about people having subsequent strokes following the first one. I just heard about such a case today. Dick could be ok for a while only to have another one within a year. I sure hope that this is not the case.

dizzy

tvrandywest

Dick Clark
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2005, 04:54:27 PM »
[quote name=\'bclark71\' date=\'Feb 21 2005, 12:12 PM\']Not that I want anyone invading his privacy, but as a fan, I wonder how he is and hope his recovery is progressing as fast as can be.
Anybody heard anything?
[snapback]75619[/snapback]
[/quote]
There is no official word other than Dick Clark's long-time publicist's reports of a "minor" stroke and continued improvement. The unofficial word among those who have had contact with Mr. Clark's family and closest friends is that while he is not in any immediate health crisis, many of the effects of the December stroke appear to have permanently challenged Dick.

As to the discrepancy between the public and private accounts, besides being a beloved television personality, Dick Clark is also a publicly owned corporate "brand" with ongoing business at the network level.

There is optimism for continuing recovery, but I suspect we will never see the same Dick Clark. Let's hope for the best.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

tvrandywest

Dick Clark
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 04:33:32 AM »
One of the tabloids ran a story stating that Dick was a "depressed recluse". Today's Hollywood Reporter carries a story in which Mr. Clark's publicist states "Three months after a stroke, Dick Clark continues to recuperate at his beachfront home and doctors are pleased with the 'American Bandstand' icon's progress... He is at home. He is continuing rehabilitation. He is walking and talking, not to the extent that we would like to see it, but he's progressing."

Continued good thoughts,

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Terry K

Dick Clark
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2005, 11:36:40 AM »
What's even more surreal is hearing Mr. Clark's voice on KOST's audio stream still doing the liners and so on.   That's kind of eerie but nice none the less.

gameshowguy2000

Dick Clark
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2005, 07:13:19 PM »
His health is improving? That's very good news (on top of Martha Stewart's release from jail).

calliaume

Dick Clark
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2005, 09:10:50 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Mar 4 2005, 04:33 AM\']One of the tabloids ran a story stating that Dick was a "depressed recluse". Today's Hollywood Reporter carries a story in which Mr. Clark's publicist states "Three months after a stroke, Dick Clark continues to recuperate at his beachfront home and doctors are pleased with the 'American Bandstand' icon's progress... He is at home. He is continuing rehabilitation. He is walking and talking, not to the extent that we would like to see it, but he's progressing."

Continued good thoughts,

Randy
tvrandywest.com
[snapback]76965[/snapback]
[/quote]
Here's a longer version of the story.
Keep thinking positive thoughts!

rugrats1

Dick Clark
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2005, 09:54:40 PM »
One of the tabloids ran a story stating that Dick was a "depressed recluse".

Why is it that every time something even minorly bad happens to a celebrity, or if a celeb was out of the spotlight for awhile, the tabs always accentuate the negative? Dick is on the road to recovery, but the tabs make it like he's Howard Hughes. or that he's only days before death.

Now you know why I don't read that rubbish.

dizzy

Dick Clark
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2005, 12:48:47 AM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' date=\'Mar 4 2005, 09:54 PM\']

Now you know why I don't read that rubbish.
[snapback]77048[/snapback]
[/quote]

It may be rubbish, but unfortunately many tabloid stories are TRUE rubbish. I would rather know the truth instead of believing some misleading positive spin fantasy written by a publicist who's just doing damage control. If Dick isn't doing well then I would like to know. I tend to believe tabloids over publicists. Tabloids tell the truth more.

Dizzy

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Dick Clark
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2005, 04:39:01 AM »
[quote name=\'dizzy\' date=\'Mar 4 2005, 10:48 PM\']If Dick isn't doing well then I would like to know. I tend to believe tabloids over publicists.
[/quote]
Of course, this is like asking me if I'd like to sit down at dinner to a big bowl of whale snot, or a nice steaming plate of rhinoceros colon.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvwxman

Dick Clark
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2005, 06:43:26 AM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' date=\'Mar 4 2005, 09:54 PM\']

Why is it that every time something even minorly bad happens to a celebrity, or if a celeb was out of the spotlight for awhile, the tabs always accentuate the negative? Dick is on the road to recovery, but the tabs make it like he's Howard Hughes. or that he's only days before death.

[snapback]77048[/snapback]
[/quote]

Unfortunately, unless you've actually been to the Clark Compound, you don't know he's really on the road to recovery. PR releases are nice, but they're ALWAYS one-sided.

Even more unfortunately, the rags haven't been to the Clark Compound either. They accentuate the negative cause it sells papers. A Headline that says "Dick Clark is Doing Well" just isn't as exciting in todays media world.

And, a side note for CLemon......

mmmmmm.....rhinoceros colon.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

davemackey

Dick Clark
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2005, 07:02:55 AM »
Dick Clark's radio programs have been in repeats since his illness. (Since his shows deal mostly with oldies, who can tell the difference?)

Don Howard

Dick Clark
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2005, 07:17:31 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 5 2005, 04:39 AM\'][quote name=\'dizzy\' date=\'Mar 4 2005, 10:48 PM\']If Dick isn't doing well then I would like to know. I tend to believe tabloids over publicists.
[/quote]
Of course, this is like asking me if I'd like to sit down at dinner to a big bowl of whale snot, or a nice steaming plate of rhinoceros colon.
[snapback]77066[/snapback]
[/quote]
I've been to that restaurant. Not the best spot for a first date.

BlankBoy

Dick Clark
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2005, 01:06:23 PM »
[quote name=\'dizzy\' date=\'Mar 4 2005, 11:48 PM\']Tabloids tell the truth more.

Dizzy
[snapback]77060[/snapback]
[/quote]
Since, like... when?

Blank

GS Warehouse

Dick Clark
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2005, 01:54:19 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 5 2005, 04:39 AM\']Of course, this is like asking me if I'd like to sit down at dinner to a big bowl of whale snot, or a nice steaming plate of rhinoceros colon.
[snapback]77066[/snapback]
[/quote]
Thanks a lot, Lemon.  You just spoiled Monday's Fear Factor!