Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A Ralph Andrews format's back on TV...  (Read 4570 times)

uncamark

A Ralph Andrews format's back on TV...
« on: February 24, 2005, 04:34:55 PM »
One of Ralph Andrews' most notorious programming concepts--a concept arguably long before its time--is getting a second time at bat on Pax.  Here's their page on "Lie Detector":

http://www.paxtv.com/shows/liedet/

I'm not pretending this is a game show, but it is noteworthy as originally coming from a game show producer.  The original run was as a 1980 strip syndicated series, hosted by columnist Jack Anderson.

I had been wondering if the Pax show was a revival until I saw an item in today's LA Times where producer Mark Phillips has offered Jose Canseco a spot on the show to prove that he is not lying about the accusations made in his new book on steroid usage.  Phillips, some of you may recall, supposedly owns most of Andrews' formats through a production company with a cutesy title that Zach may not need reposting here.  His only other known shot at a Andrews format was the Family Channel 1999 revival of "It Takes Two."

Once again, not strictly game show, but game show-related.

TimK2003

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 05:41:18 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Feb 24 2005, 04:34 PM\']I'm not pretending this is a game show, but it is noteworthy as originally coming from a game show producer.  The original run was as a 1980 strip syndicated series, hosted by columnist Jack Anderson.
[snapback]76065[/snapback]
[/quote]

I Thought that F. U.,...er I mean F. Lee Bailey was the host of "Lie Detector".  Or maybe I am thinking of a clone of the aforementioned show.  I vaguely remember a show hosted by Bailey, but it was around 1983???  IIRC, it was around the time when Rich Little hosted a remake of "You Asked For It"  I know that our local affiliate, WEWS-TV 5 in C-Town aired both of them, bot not sure if it was at the same time.

Both shows did poorly -- that much I know for sure!

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 07:14:55 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Feb 24 2005, 04:34 PM\']His only other known shot at a Andrews format was the Family Channel 1999 revival of "It Takes Two."
[snapback]76065[/snapback]
[/quote]

I hate to be Horan for a minute, I REALLY do, but the ITT revival was actually two years prior.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

rugrats1

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 07:27:00 PM »
I Thought that F. U.,...er I mean F. Lee Bailey was the host of "Lie Detector".

He was.

Though of course, Barry and Enright did produce Jack Anderson's weekly news magazine program around that same time -- "Jack Anderson Confidential".

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2005, 07:27:30 PM »
Sandy Frank distributed the original "Lie Detector" with F. Lee Bailey in the first quarter of 1983 as well as "The New You Asked For It." from 81-83 (Rich Little in 81-82 and Jack Smith in 82-83.)  I wonder if Mr. Frank has any connections to the new show?

Sandy Frank's website
« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 07:47:34 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

uncamark

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2005, 11:43:39 AM »
I may've gotten my shows mixed up.  Thanks, guys.

It did seem to me that Anderson did a similar program earlier, but now that you've jogged my memory, F. Lee Bailey did host "Lie Detector," which Ralph Andrews did produce for Sandy Frank, in the early 80s.

ObGameShow:  Frank also syndicated Chuck Barris' '78 "TDG," "The New Treasure Hunt" and "The $1.98 Beauty Show."

brianhenke

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2005, 04:02:42 PM »
Lie Detector was canceled in the middle of its run here. There also was a Fox special called Lie Detector several years ago, hosted by Marcia Clark (after O.J.)

Brian

Don RUCKLES?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2005, 04:03:09 PM by brianhenke »
The leaves start to change color in May?

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2005, 08:10:39 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Feb 25 2005, 11:43 AM\']I may've gotten my shows mixed up.  Thanks, guys.

It did seem to me that Anderson did a similar program earlier, but now that you've jogged my memory, F. Lee Bailey did host "Lie Detector," which Ralph Andrews did produce for Sandy Frank, in the early 80s.

ObGameShow:  Frank also syndicated Chuck Barris' '78 "TDG," "The New Treasure Hunt" and "The $1.98 Beauty Show."
[snapback]76154[/snapback]
[/quote]

Change the '78 to '73 and that would be correct.  The '78 TDG revival was handled by Firestone.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

aaron sica

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2005, 08:15:59 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Feb 25 2005, 08:10 PM\']Change the '78 to '73 and that would be correct.  The '78 TDG revival was handled by Firestone.
[snapback]76224[/snapback]
[/quote]

Was the '73 edition the one that was known as The ^New Dating Game?

zachhoran

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2005, 08:28:04 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Feb 25 2005, 08:15 PM\']

Was the '73 edition the one that was known as The ^New Dating Game?
[snapback]76226[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yes