Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: LMAD 2003  (Read 8127 times)

bwood

LMAD 2003
« on: March 07, 2005, 07:34:07 PM »
I came across my LMAD 2003 tape the other day and knowing the show premiered about this time 2 years ago, I thought I'd give it a look again.
So, I watched it and I realize now that it was really worse than I originally thought.
They had the right idea with the games and such, but the show looks so "fake" to me as far as production values go. I thought I was watching a movie. I caught a ton of edits that I never noticed before. There even looked to have been some voice edits, like Billy saying something that was clearly put in in post production. The superimposed prizes were lame. One episode superimposed a TV and a refrigerator. It looked so bad. How hard can it be to put prizes on a stage?
I actually liked the show when it was on and was pretty bummed out when they pulled the plug. Now, I can't figure out what I saw in it.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2005, 07:35:36 PM by bwood »

Jimmy Owen

LMAD 2003
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2005, 08:02:54 PM »
I think we were so starved for game shows and so eager to see a somewhat traditional primetime game succeed, that we were willing to allow a wide berth to the show, despite any shortcomings.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

joshg

LMAD 2003
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 09:10:05 PM »
There was an '03 version of LMAD? Wow, that mind eraser must of worked well...
I'm saddened to say that I taped those 3 shows too. I hope that tape isn't contaminating the rest of my collection (you know, the good shows like Password All-Stars and Rodeo Drive).

Josh
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

JMFabiano

LMAD 2003
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 10:26:37 PM »
Thankfully Trato Hecho is erasing some of those bad memories.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Don Howard

LMAD 2003
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2005, 01:22:41 AM »
Remember! NBC has promised that the other two episodes that were filmed will show up in an as yet to be determined time period. Likewise, CBS is doing the same with those four unaired Winning Lines programs. Do you suppose they lied? And what about that Concentration comeback? And the Newlywed Game/Dating Game combo? Or does there have to be a Law & Order element for a show to succeed on NBC?

BrandonFG

LMAD 2003
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2005, 01:25:14 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Mar 8 2005, 01:22 AM\']Or does there have to be a Law & Order element for a show to succeed on NBC?
[snapback]77424[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hmm...TTTT with murderers...I like it!
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

tvwxman

LMAD 2003
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2005, 06:13:03 AM »
Was it Mark Goodson who said something along the lines of how a good host doesn't make a good game?

Well, Matt Scott says a bad host can ruin a good game.

That show was a classic example of why network suits shouldn't get involved in choosing hosts...NBC had a development deal with Bush, ready to find a vehicle for him as their 'next big star'....

Had Monty stuck to his guns and picked someone himself, that game would have been infinitely better, even with the sexed up deals..... Al Roker, Gordon Elliot, hell even Pat O Brien could have been a better 'professional' host.

Billy Bush's incompetance when it comes to ad-libbing ruined that show.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Don Howard

LMAD 2003
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2005, 07:48:37 AM »
Example of the ruin:
BILLY BUSH: "Let's see what's in the envelope$50000".
No pause for suspense purposes, no excitement in the voice, just a quick cut from let's see what this is to what it is.
Great market research, NBC. Three shows and out because of your genius. LMAD  otherwise might likely have had a better run with Al Roker, who really wanted to do the show in the first place. Too many punks are wearing the suits in the front offices these days. That's your big problem. You notice the effects of this on way too many programs--most of the principles have to have some kind of a 'tude.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2005, 09:22:49 AM by Don Howard »

The Pyramids

LMAD 2003
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2005, 08:32:06 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Mar 8 2005, 01:22 AM\']Remember! NBC has promised that the other two episodes that were filmed will show up in an as yet to be determined time period. Likewise, CBS is doing the same with those four unaired Winning Lines programs. Do you suppose they lied? And what about that Concentration comeback? And the Newlywed Game/Dating Game combo? Or does there have to be a Law & Order element for a show to succeed on NBC?
[/quote]

I remember word about a new 'Newlywed Game' two years ago, and the unshown Billy Bush shows.

But what was the 'Concentration' comeback about? I don't remember hearing about that in recent years.

zachhoran

LMAD 2003
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2005, 09:03:53 AM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'Mar 8 2005, 08:32 AM\']
But what was the 'Concentration' comeback about? I don't remember hearing about that in recent years.
[snapback]77443[/snapback]
[/quote]

A post in ATGS(with a link to knip2.com that is now inactive when I tried to click on it) in Summer 2002 stated that  Classic Concentration was among the shows up for grabs in syndication, along with the Gong Show and On the Cover. Whether a pilot was done is unknown. That's the last I heard of a possible Concentration revival.

Mike Tennant

LMAD 2003
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2005, 09:10:55 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Mar 8 2005, 01:25 AM\'][quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Mar 8 2005, 01:22 AM\']Or does there have to be a Law & Order element for a show to succeed on NBC?
[/quote]

Hmm...TTTT with murderers...I like it!
[snapback]77425[/snapback]
[/quote]
Better yet:  What's My Crime?, as seen in the original 101 Dalmatians.

pianogeek

• LET'S PLAY!
LMAD 2003
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2005, 09:51:08 AM »
[quote name=\'bwood\' date=\'Mar 7 2005, 07:34 PM\']They had the right idea with the games and such, but the show looks so "fake" to me as far as production values go. I thought I was watching a movie. I caught a ton of edits that I never noticed before. There even looked to have been some voice edits, like Billy saying something that was clearly put in in post production. The superimposed prizes were lame. One episode superimposed a TV and a refrigerator. It looked so bad. How hard can it be to put prizes on a stage?
[snapback]77385[/snapback]
[/quote]

Exactly what I thought.  Plus I thought it looked too rushed, there was so much audience noise, and too much senseless post-production editing where the scenes always cuts back and forth between the audience and the deal game too fast.

Man, my hopes were high on this show.  Too bad it was such a waste.

Who wants to pay a call to programmer Mr. Jeff Zucker in Burbank? hehe!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2005, 09:52:44 AM by pianogeek »
-Sanford

BrandonFG

LMAD 2003
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2005, 10:31:48 AM »
[quote name=\'pianogeek\' date=\'Mar 8 2005, 09:51 AM\']Who wants to pay a call to programmer Mr. Jeff Zucker in Burbank? hehe!
[snapback]77454[/snapback]
[/quote]

Send him Kirstie Alley. He'll have no choice but to give in to her.

Anyone who saw "Fat Actress" last nite might get that one ;-)
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

dmota104

LMAD 2003
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2005, 11:14:51 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Mar 8 2005, 07:48 AM\']Example of the ruin:
BILLY BUSH: "Let's see what's in the envelope$50000".
No pause for suspense purposes, no excitement in the voice, just a quick cut from let's see what this is to what it is.
Great market research, NBC. Three shows and out because of your genius. LMAD  otherwise might likely have had a better run with Al Roker, who really wanted to do the show in the first place. Too many punks are wearing the suits in the front offices these days. That's your big problem. You notice the effects of this on way too many programs--most of the principles have to have some kind of a 'tude.
[snapback]77441[/snapback]
[/quote]

I happened to find the first show with Billy not long after I finished moving across town.  All of you are right about the crummy edits, lack of suspense and such.

On the good side, the running gag with the Dealco stock in the first ep was pretty creative.

14gameshows

LMAD 2003
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2005, 01:34:07 PM »
IMO, LMAD looked TOO DARN FAKE!!!! This version was horrible.  Who were the directors, producers, and executive producer of this show.  I mean horrible.  DED looked better and more real than this.