Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Lingo Sat. Night Classics  (Read 8935 times)

Chelsea Thrasher

Lingo Sat. Night Classics
« on: March 20, 2005, 06:21:36 AM »
I managed to fall asleep about ten minutes before the start of the block...Would anyone happen to know which episodes were shown last night?

Trying to fill in those pesky little "TBA" boxes on my page is just a bit hard when I was out like a light during the block, and despite having two VCRs and a DVD Recorder, still managed to not tape it to watch/fill in the info later.

EDIT: If anyone knows, the *specific* episodes would be appreciated.  Thanks again, and sorry all.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2005, 09:28:07 AM by Seth Thrasher »

Particleman

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2005, 08:31:44 AM »
This isn't going to help much, I know, but I caught a couple of episodes and they seemed to be both newer and older shows.  Sorry!  I'm not much of a Lingo fan and didn't tape it.

I do think it's funny that they fit Lingo in for a Saturday night "retro" night.  As fun as the game is to watch, I just don't think it qualifies.

tyshaun1

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2005, 02:37:12 PM »
That's because Casey is handling the promos, since it obviously fits for the "classic" fans.

Tyshaun

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2005, 11:24:59 AM »
As Webster's will tell you, one definition of "classic" is "being of the highest rank or class," another is "of lasting significance."  Both old and new shows can be "classics" according to Webster.  I think a lot of people equate classic with old, which is not entirely correct.  There are a number of old shows that are not classic.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

tyshaun1

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2005, 12:16:53 PM »
Never thought I'd have to do this but........

"WHOOOOOSH!"

Tyshaun

CaseyAbell

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2005, 01:11:31 PM »
GSN did the promos themselves, without my help. I did enjoy the marathon, much more than I would with many older shows. That's because Lingo is a lot better than most older (or newer) shows.

There's an excellent Lingo episode guide here.

Offhand I can recall four episodes on the marathon. Sorry, I wasn't writing down the names...

12/3/2003: Rashim & Khali vs. Henry & Ruthemma
12/3/2003: Felicia & Lanre vs. Tatum & Greg
1/3/2004: Madeleine & Kacia vs. Devin & Michael
1/7/2004: Casey & Mary vs. Leslie & Chris (naw, that Casey ain't me)

Not sure about the fifth. 12/24/2003 Andrea & Stephen vs. Justin & Erin? 12/10/2003 Aubrey & Steve vs. Emily & Eric?

As I said on the GSN board, the eps looked like they were picked to showcase Chuck's humor (and big wins) and thus appeal to more casual fans. There were still several close, well-played games.

I would like to have seen the ToC final, but that ep is more for fanatics like me than people who might just be dropping by GSN on a Saturday night. The final episode skipped the rules explanations, the chit-chat session, and almost all host commentary to give the contestants as much time as possible to rack up big scores. They did, and it was a close-run contest.

By the way, I also liked the GAA yo-yo contest interstitials. Some impressive stunts and a lot of cheeseball humor.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2005, 02:00:22 PM by CaseyAbell »

melman1

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2005, 02:21:15 PM »
[quote name=\'"CaseyAbell"\']As I said on the GSN board,[/quote]
You need not inform us about your posting history on other sites.   What difference does it make to us?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2005, 02:23:07 PM by melman1 »
melman1, "some sort of God on this message board" - PYLdude, 7/9/06.

CaseyAbell

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2005, 02:54:27 PM »
A number of posters on this board, including one of the moderators, also post on the GSN board. It's common netiquette to warn on cross-posting, because posters may have already seen your comments on another board.

dzinkin

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2005, 03:06:18 PM »
[quote name=\'melman1\' date=\'Mar 21 2005, 02:21 PM\'][quote name=\'"CaseyAbell"\']As I said on the GSN board,[/quote]
You need not inform us about your posting history on other sites.   What difference does it make to us?
[snapback]78904[/snapback]
[/quote]
Hey, if Casey wants to let people know that they can hear what he has to say without visiting that wasteland, I'm all for it. :-)

CaseyAbell

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2005, 03:13:22 PM »
I guess we'll exclude Mr. Ottinger's posts from the wasteland definition.

To get back to the original topic, can anybody remember the fifth ep in the Lingo marathon? I think it was one of the first-pull winners, but I'm not sure. The episode guide lists a couple of possibilities with similar names, but it could be another episode altogether.

Knew I should have written down those names...

One more note: My favorite Lingo episode ever was the April Fools Show with all the hosts from the Boden originals. Mark Walberg blitzed to a 500-0 win and a bunch of puzzles in the bonus round. But it would be kinda hard to show that ep now that GSN is axing almost all of the Boden originals except Lingo itself.

Speaking of Mark, he didn't do so well on the Travel Channel's celeb poker show last night. Who eliminated him? Bob Eubanks, of course. Stick to word games, Mark. While he was getting squashed by Eubanks, Mike Sexton got in a line about the "battle of the hosts." Eubanks himself was the next victim. The best thing about the show was the heads-up, where an incredible run of luck lifted a 10-1 underdog in the chip count to a win.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2005, 03:48:24 PM by CaseyAbell »

dzinkin

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2005, 03:28:27 PM »
[quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' date=\'Mar 21 2005, 03:13 PM\']I guess we'll exclude Mr. Ottinger's posts from the wasteland definition.
[snapback]78912[/snapback]
[/quote]
Per merriam-webster.com, definition #2:

an ugly often devastated or barely inhabitable place or area
I think the "barely" leaves just enough room for posts from you and Matt. :-)

melman1

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2005, 06:36:59 PM »
[quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' date=\'Mar 21 2005, 12:54 PM\']A number of posters on this board, including one of the moderators, also post on the GSN board. It's common netiquette to warn on cross-posting, because posters may have already seen your comments on another board.
[snapback]78907[/snapback]
[/quote]
Bunk.  "Common netiquette" here has always been the exact opposite of what you imagine it to be.  No one else here cares whether a comment was also posted to GSN, a.t.g-s or any other foul cess-pit.  Looks like you're the only one, which puts you in cahoots with the "bowling buddy" crowd, eh?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2005, 10:41:18 PM by melman1 »

CaseyAbell

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2005, 07:50:20 PM »
I'll continue to warn of cross-posting. You follow your netiquette, I'll follow mine.

The "bowling buddy" crowd? Gee, I haven't bowled a game in years.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2005, 07:51:31 PM by CaseyAbell »

dzinkin

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2005, 08:27:58 PM »
[quote name=\'melman1\' date=\'Mar 21 2005, 06:36 PM\'][quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' date=\'Mar 21 2005, 12:54 PM\']A number of posters on this board, including one of the moderators, also post on the GSN board. It's common netiquette to warn on cross-posting, because posters may have already seen your comments on another board.
[snapback]78907[/snapback]
[/quote]
Bunk.  "Common netiquette" here has always been the exact opposite of what you imagine it to be.  No else here cares whether a comment was also posted to GSN, a.t.g-s or any other foul cess-pit.  
[snapback]78946[/snapback]
[/quote]
In almost 16 years on the Internet, I haven't heard of such "netiquette" either.  One typically references a posting on another board if said posting has further comments that are relevant to the matter -- not merely to say "hey, I posted this same thing on another site."  Moreover, when one references one's own comments elsewhere, it is proper netiquette to cite that post with a link; one would think that someone who touts his own alleged knowledge of netiquette would have done so, but as I type this, Casey has not.

Looks like you're the only one, which puts you in cahoots with the "bowling buddy" crowd, eh?
Hardly.  A member of the bowling buddy crowd believes everything he reads regardless of the facts.  Casey wants everyone else to believe what he writes regardless of the facts.  (Hence his love of the GSN board, where — were I so inclined — I could convince numerous individuals to believe that Pat O'Brien hosts The Price is Right, Bill O'Reilly runs GSN, and Bob Barker and Chuck Woolery are the same person.)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2005, 08:28:42 PM by dzinkin »

melman1

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2005, 09:58:16 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Mar 21 2005, 06:27 PM\']A member of the bowling buddy crowd believes everything he reads regardless of the facts. [/quote]I thought part of the bowling-buddy experience was a recitation of all the various "he said / I said" exchanges.

If not, then have I mixed my metaphor.  Or abused my malaprop.  Or something.  Never mind.