Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: IGAS '76  (Read 4987 times)

SamJ93

IGAS '76
« on: March 22, 2005, 03:14:03 PM »
My apologies if this was in fact semi-common knowledge before...

It's a bit difficult to hear, but as I was watching the clip of the 1976 "I've Got a Secret" open at the POC page, I thought the theme sounded very familiar.  After listening a little more carefully, I realized that it was, in fact, the "Second Chance" theme!

So now we know of at least two instances where Score Productions themes were used on two different shows as *main* themes (i.e. not just prize cues)...Double Dare/Card Sharks, and IGAS/2nd Chance...any others?

--Sam

(Post #100 for me just now?  Thought I came here more often...oh well...)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2005, 03:15:50 PM by SamJ93 »
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

Jimmy Owen

IGAS '76
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 03:34:24 PM »
"Race for the Pennant" and "David Frost Presents the Best" used as a main theme one of the cues from "The Money Maze" and "Guinness Game."
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
IGAS '76
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 03:36:18 PM »
It was semi-common knowledge to most of us, actually.....

What I wonder, though, is: Who was that announcer? The EOTVGS credits Johnny O. with that version, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't him.

[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\']"Race for the Pennant" and "David Frost Presents the Best" used as a main theme one of the cues from "The Money Maze" and "Guinness Game."[/quote]
Would this be the cue that some of us have a clean copy of, by any means?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2005, 03:41:14 PM by Chief-O »
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

Jimmy Owen

IGAS '76
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 04:17:01 PM »
The theme was used at the commercial break of MM when both maze runners were asked to join their spouses back on stage to determine the ultimate winner for the day.  Whether this matches what is out there, I'm not sure.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2005, 04:24:11 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

whewfan

IGAS '76
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 06:05:59 PM »
Just for the record...

The following shows used the same theme music...

TPIR (Cullen) and Snap Judgment
Personality and Three on a Match
Blankety Blanks and Double Talk
Shoot for the Stars and Jackpot (Darrow version and later '89 version)
Spinoffs and Super Pay Cards (Not only the same producers, but both were shows based on 5 Card Draw Poker)
CBS TJW/ Simon Says pilot- Savers theme

As for cue music

Card Sharks 86 and Concentration in the 70s both used  many cues also heard on TPIR

The reveal of the riddle on "Rhyme and Reason" is the beginning segment of the CBS TJW Savers theme

The All New LMAD used the Split Second theme, the theme from It's Anybody's Guess, and also a portion of the original LMAD theme could be heard at the start of the show, as well as bumper music to segue into the Big Deal, and cue music for the contestant picked for door #4.

TJW, Bullseye, and TTD shared several of the same prize cues. In fact, the victory cue from TTD was used for a 5 game win towards the end of the Cullen run.

zachhoran

IGAS '76
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2005, 07:00:56 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Mar 22 2005, 06:05 PM\']

The following shows used the same theme music...

TPIR (Cullen) and Snap Judgment
Personality and Three on a Match
Blankety Blanks and Double Talk
Shoot for the Stars and Jackpot (Darrow version and later '89 version)
Spinoffs and Super Pay Cards (Not only the same producers, but both were shows based on 5 Card Draw Poker)
CBS TJW/ Simon Says pilot- Savers theme

As for cue music

Card Sharks 86 and Concentration in the 70s both used  many cues also heard on TPIR

The reveal of the riddle on "Rhyme and Reason" is the beginning segment of the CBS TJW Savers theme

The All New LMAD used the Split Second theme, the theme from It's Anybody's Guess, and also a portion of the original LMAD theme could be heard at the start of the show, as well as bumper music to segue into the Big Deal, and cue music for the contestant picked for door #4.

[snapback]79088[/snapback]
[/quote]

Other shows with the same theme: Blank Check(pilot)/NYSI7x and NYSI89, Nipsey's Juvenile Jury and PLay the Percentages, Scrabble 1993 and Scattergories 1993(or at least similar themes), Jackpot7x and This Week in Baseball(also heard on the $50K a Minute pilot), Love Experts and Jackpot 1984 pilot. Also, Spin-Off's theme was re-orchestrated when used on Super Pay Cards.

Other SHows that shared cues: Body Language(contestant plug/prize music during Teen weeks) and Classic Concentration(Main theme), LMAD84(main theme) and Matchmaker(part of the LMAD84 theme was heard when a couple won the top prize in the bonus round), Split Second 1987 and LMAD1980/1984(prize cues shared on both shows), CHain Reaction(unused cue) and Jackpot USA(used a couple of times when King of the Hill and another player traded places when the KotH missed a riddle)

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
IGAS '76
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2005, 08:32:44 PM »
  CHain Reaction(unused cue) and Jackpot USA(used a couple of times when King of the Hill and another player traded places when the KotH missed a riddle)

That was an unused Chain Reaction cue? I always thought it was just a piece of stock music. Sounded cool nonetheless.

--Jamie

zachhoran

IGAS '76
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2005, 09:01:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' date=\'Mar 22 2005, 08:32 PM\']
  CHain Reaction(unused cue) and Jackpot USA(used a couple of times when King of the Hill and another player traded places when the KotH missed a riddle)

That was an unused Chain Reaction cue? I always thought it was just a piece of stock music. Sounded cool nonetheless.

--Jamie
[snapback]79097[/snapback]
[/quote]

Someone reported on ATGS years ago that there was a bit of CR music used on USA Jackpot only a handful of times.

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
IGAS '76
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2005, 09:19:27 PM »
Someone reported on ATGS years ago that there was a bit of CR music used on USA Jackpot only a handful of times.

Er, no. It was said that it was a variation of the Chain Reaction theme.
The cue in question actually sounds like it could've been used on SuperTrain.

--Jamie
« Last Edit: March 22, 2005, 09:19:59 PM by Jimmy Fiono Coyne »

Adam Nedeff

IGAS '76
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2005, 10:53:19 PM »
[quote name=\'Chief-O\' date=\'Mar 22 2005, 03:36 PM\']What I wonder, though, is: Who was that announcer? The EOTVGS credits Johnny O. with that version, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't him.

[snapback]79079[/snapback]
[/quote]
I have the episode, and in a bit of weirdness for G-T shows, he doesn't identify himself by name during the credits (and PLEASE, that is not an invitation to post a list of G-T shows where the announcers didn't announce themselves at some point in the run). It REALLY sounds like the original series announcer, John Cannon, however. There's no reason I can think of why it couldn't be.

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
IGAS '76
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2005, 07:20:56 AM »
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' date=\'Mar 22 2005, 10:53 PM\']It REALLY sounds like the original series announcer, John Cannon, however. There's no reason I can think of why it couldn't be.
[snapback]79108[/snapback]
[/quote]

And somehow, I was thinking that as well. Wouldn't be surprised if it IS him.
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

uncamark

IGAS '76
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2005, 04:03:03 PM »
It seemed to me that Johnny O did three of the "IGAS '76" shows and someone else did the other three.

For those who've only seen the pilot of "Rhyme and Reason," "The Savers" was not used in the actual series (or that theme that sounded like the Amboy Dukes song).  Score did a package of themes and cues, with three reveal/think cues used in rotation:  The theme played by a flute (two versions--one with one flute and the rhythm track brought up, the other with a second flute every few bars), the theme on harpsichord (Jaye P. Morgan:  "Tell Joe 'Fingers' Carr to stop the frigging playing!") and the rhythm track of the theme.  Actually, every cue on the show save one (the fourth break bumper) was some sort of version of the theme music.

Those who remember the show will recall that a running gag started by Pat Harrington was about the whereabouts of the "band"--enough that they actually did as a phrase "WILL THE 'RHYME AND REASON' BAND EVER SHOW THEIR *FACES?*..."
« Last Edit: March 23, 2005, 04:03:21 PM by uncamark »

ChuckNet

IGAS '76
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2005, 10:44:06 PM »
Those who remember the show will recall that a running gag started by Pat Harrington was about the whereabouts of the "band"--enough that they actually did as a phrase "WILL THE 'RHYME AND REASON' BAND EVER SHOW THEIR *FACES?*..."

"Only if the viewers like seeing empty spaces". :-D

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")