Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Contestants on other Shows" Question  (Read 2697 times)

StevensM

"Contestants on other Shows" Question
« on: March 23, 2005, 08:01:05 PM »
I see on the Jeopardy! website that John Cuthbertson, a five-time champion who is scheduled to participate in the Ultimate Tournament of Champions this Friday, also appeared on Win Ben Stein's Money.  Does anyone know when he appeared and how he did?  The episode guide for the show online doesn't give contestants' last names, so I didn't know which "John" was the Jeopardy! champion.

Thanks.

zachhoran

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 08:42:43 PM »
[quote name=\'StevensM\' date=\'Mar 23 2005, 08:01 PM\']I see on the Jeopardy! website that John Cuthbertson, a five-time champion who is scheduled to participate in the Ultimate Tournament of Champions this Friday, also appeared on Win Ben Stein's Money.  Does anyone know when he appeared and how he did?  The episode guide for the show online doesn't give contestants' last names, so I didn't know which "John" was the Jeopardy! champion.

[snapback]79188[/snapback]
[/quote]

I don't recall John's WBSM appearance, but he did win $32K on the first show of the November 1999 series of WWTBAM.

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 12:01:27 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Mar 23 2005, 08:42 PM\']I don't recall John's WBSM appearance
[snapback]79192[/snapback]
[/quote]

Which obviously means John never appeared on WBSM.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 12:16:49 AM »
So, we can:

A) go on Zach's word, because if Zach says it's true, it must be so,

or

B) go to the Jeopardy web site, look at the "Hometown Howdy" bit from John himself, who says that Jeopardy started a career in game shows, includin an appearance on Win Ben Stein's Money.

Anyone?  What should I do?

Zach, this is quite possibly the greatest case of megalomania I have ever seen.  This goes beyond your other offenses from before, which are numerous in amount.  If this isn't a bannable offense, it really should be, if only because we don't have the bandwidth to house Zach's ego unless we take out a usurious-type loan.
Travis L. Eberle

zachhoran

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005, 12:21:04 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Mar 23 2005, 08:42 PM\'][quote name=\'StevensM\' date=\'Mar 23 2005, 08:01 PM\']I see on the Jeopardy! website that John Cuthbertson, a five-time champion who is scheduled to participate in the Ultimate Tournament of Champions this Friday, also appeared on Win Ben Stein's Money.  Does anyone know when he appeared and how he did?  The episode guide for the show online doesn't give contestants' last names, so I didn't know which "John" was the Jeopardy! champion.

[snapback]79188[/snapback]
[/quote]

I don't recall John's WBSM appearance, but he did win $32K on the first show of the November 1999 series of WWTBAM.
[snapback]79192[/snapback]
[/quote]

A post by Leszek in ATGS in 2000 states that John won the bonus round on WBSM, but doesn't say when he appeared. GSN hasn't show his WBSM appearance, so it wouldn't be from series two in 1998.

StevensM

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2005, 01:31:18 PM »
Thanks all for the help.  I did know that John won $32,000 on Millionaire.

Here's a post on the Jeopardy! board about this topic:
http://boards.sonypictures.com/boards/show...&threadid=85846

"GSN has been airing Mr. Cuthbertson's WBSM appearance, and in case you're wondering, yes, he did win all $5,000 of Ben Stein's Money."

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2005, 04:09:14 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Mar 24 2005, 01:16 AM\']So, we can:

A) go on Zach's word, because if Zach says it's true, it must be so,

or

B) go to the Jeopardy web site, look at the "Hometown Howdy" bit from John himself, who says that Jeopardy started a career in game shows, includin an appearance on Win Ben Stein's Money.

Anyone?  What should I do?[/quote]
You could take a deep breath, reread the posts, and see that all Zach said was that he didn't recall John appearing on WBSM.  He also added a relevant tidbit about WWTBAM.  If we're punishing everyone who adds a comment that doesn't directly and specifically answer precisely the question that's being asked, this would be one lonely place.

Another member added the "therefore he didn't appear" line, and that member was only joking.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.