Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Museum cof Television and Radio  (Read 5713 times)

BrandonFG

Museum cof Television and Radio
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2003, 03:22:38 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Aug 2 2003, 10:15 AM\'] If you don't go for the archives, don't expect Concentration or Now You See It.

They have a 1975 High Rollers ep in the main collection from the Warhol tapes and a *studio master* of a different ep in the archives. Same goes for Celebrity Sweepstakes, but I don't think they have a master of it.

2 Kennedy Name That Tunes, and two eps with *George DeWitt*

Nothing But the Truth---1956 TTTT pilot w/ Mike Wallace

the 1961 finale of Jackpot Bowling w/ Milton Berle and Chick Hearn in the archives

and the list goes on......... [/quote]
 How exactly do you get a show out of the archives? Calling the museum has done nothing to help me out.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2003, 04:22:00 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Aug 2 2003, 02:22 PM\'] [quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Aug 2 2003, 10:15 AM\'] If you don't go for the archives, don't expect Concentration or Now You See It.

They have a 1975 High Rollers ep in the main collection from the Warhol tapes and a *studio master* of a different ep in the archives. Same goes for Celebrity Sweepstakes, but I don't think they have a master of it.

2 Kennedy Name That Tunes, and two eps with *George DeWitt*

Nothing But the Truth---1956 TTTT pilot w/ Mike Wallace

the 1961 finale of Jackpot Bowling w/ Milton Berle and Chick Hearn in the archives

and the list goes on......... [/quote]
How exactly do you get a show out of the archives? Calling the museum has done nothing to help me out. [/quote]
 As Dave said, most of the archived stuff is viewable. When you go to the library room to pick out the stuff, you're given the option of the main collection or the archives.

Card Shark

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2003, 07:33:09 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Aug 2 2003, 11:15 AM\'] and the list goes on......... [/quote]
 The ones I've seen back in 1994 were TPIR (Cullen), in which a contestant wins a trip to China Town, a Woolery WoF ep and a $20,000 Pyramid ep with David Letterman as a guest.  Do they have Card Sharks or Family Feud at all?
Adam Strom

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2003, 07:37:01 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Aug 2 2003, 03:22 PM\']As Dave said, most of the archived stuff is viewable. When you go to the library room to pick out the stuff, you're given the option of the main collection or the archives.[/quote]
Isn't there a one-week wait on the archives?  The times I've been in there (last time in April) I seem to recall the computer saying \"Archives--one week's notice required\" or something like that.  Maybe I'm wrong.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

dzinkin

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2003, 08:20:06 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Aug 2 2003, 06:37 PM\'] Isn't there a one-week wait on the archives?  The times I've been in there (last time in April) I seem to recall the computer saying "Archives--one week's notice required" or something like that.  Maybe I'm wrong.
 [/quote]
 If you want something from the archives that hasn't already been transferred to a viewable format, you have to request the transfer; the \"one week's notice\" refers to the time it takes for the transfer to be completed.  But once the transfer is completed, the show is available to anyone who wants to view it.

And unless something's changed since the last time I inquired, you have to make the transfer request in person... so unless you're in New York or L.A. for longer than a week, I wouldn't count on making the request and watching the show during the same trip.  The in-person requirement was waived only for people with the higher-priced memberships, as I recall.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2003, 10:00:27 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Aug 2 2003, 07:20 PM\'] If you want something from the archives that hasn't already been transferred to a viewable format, you have to request the transfer; the "one week's notice" refers to the time it takes for the transfer to be completed.  But once the transfer is completed, the show is available to anyone who wants to view it.

And unless something's changed since the last time I inquired, you have to make the transfer request in person... so unless you're in New York or L.A. for longer than a week, I wouldn't count on making the request and watching the show during the same trip.  The in-person requirement was waived only for people with the higher-priced memberships, as I recall. [/quote]
 Thanks for the clarification.  Guess it never occurred to me to ask at the front desk about the archives.  I expect to be going back to NY sometime next spring, so I'll take another look and see if there's something in the archives I want to and am able to view (I'm sure I'll find something, maybe, perhaps. . . :) ).

I know you've been back for awhile, but good to see you again, David.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

dzinkin

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2003, 12:40:02 AM »
Thanks for the clarification.  Guess it never occurred to me to ask at the front desk about the archives.  I expect to be going back to NY sometime next spring, so I'll take another look and see if there's something in the archives I want to and am able to view (I'm sure I'll find something, maybe, perhaps. . . :) ).

You don't even need to ask at the desk, unless you're making a transfer request.  When you go to one of the search consoles to pick the shows you want to see, you choose whether you want to see shows from the main collection or the archives; as has been noted here before, you can't mix and match, so if some main-collection shows appeal to you and some archives shows do as well, you'll have to either visit twice or make a decision before submitting your final list.

You know... I wonder if it might not be a bad idea for us to submit game show transfer requests on our visits so others can enjoy the shows.  Too bad it didn't occur to me to ask for a transfer form when I went. :-(

I know you've been back for awhile, but good to see you again, David.

Thanks, Doug... lately there have been lots of changes in my life, so it's nice to know that my game show friends are still the same, from your kind words to Lemon's wit and Ottinger's hairline. :-D

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2003, 10:07:04 AM »
A footnote: The MG/HS ep in the main collection appears to be a studio master, as it is in crisp quality and commercial free.

After a quick run-up on matchgame.org, I found the episode was from the second week.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2003, 11:17:29 AM by PeterMarshallFan »

cmjb13

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2003, 10:46:56 AM »
That reminds me...

Watching some of those shows with original/old commercials, can sometimes be enjoyable.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2003, 11:31:18 AM »
Something odd I saw---I was looking at the pictures on the floor of the NBC store. I found You Bet Your Life and the original Name that Tune, but I also found one all the way in the back from MG/HS. It was of Bauman and two contestants at the HS play area. However, instead of the yellow backdrop & podium seen on the series, there was a lot of blue. Also, if you look at the left side of the picture, what appears to be a shelf of merchandise is visible. I wonder, was the picture from a promo shoot or something?

gsnstooge

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2004, 04:59:40 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Aug 1 2003, 09:15 AM\'] Bonnie Urseth was a co-star on the NBC run of We Got It Made in 1983-84. She also appeared on the $25K Pyramid as a contestant that year, and was a former contestant on Pyramid as well. [/quote]
 She also appeared on "Go!" the same week that Michael J. Fox.  As for Pyramid, how much did Bonnie win?

pyrfan

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2004, 02:52:20 PM »
[quote name=\'gsnstooge\' date=\'Mar 14 2004, 04:59 PM\'][quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Aug 1 2003, 09:15 AM\'] Bonnie Urseth was a co-star on the NBC run of We Got It Made in 1983-84. She also appeared on the $25K Pyramid as a contestant that year, and was a former contestant on Pyramid as well. [/quote]
She also appeared on "Go!" the same week that Michael J. Fox.  As for Pyramid, how much did Bonnie win?[/quote]
Bonnie won $1,700 on "The $20,000 Pyramid" in December of 1978. She had much better luck as a celebrity player, giving away over $75,000 and winning the big board six times in her first two weeks of play.

Brendan

AmazingErikZ

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2004, 03:20:15 PM »
Gosh, I haven't been to the Museum Of TV in almost 6 years...and I'm from NYC! This was just before I had a kidney transplant.

Anyway, I'd love to see more classic game shows over there. The last one I remember was a 1982 ep of TPIR with commercials. I also remember: 1980 ep of Gong Show and $20K Pyramid from 1979 with JoAnne Worley & David Letterman--JoAnne was great in the WC.

I'd go there in an instant, but my only obstacle is my neurotic mother. Hopefully, I'll have a talk with her about me going back to Manhattan. I don't care if some of the people are rude, I still enjoy "The city," and I miss it.

BrandonFG

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2004, 03:24:25 PM »
[quote name=\'AmazingErikZ\' date=\'Mar 17 2004, 03:20 PM\'] Gosh, I haven't been to the Museum Of TV in almost 6 years...and I'm from NYC! This was just before I had a kidney transplant.

Anyway, I'd love to see more classic game shows over there. The last one I remember was a 1982 ep of TPIR with commercials. I also remember: 1980 ep of Gong Show and $20K Pyramid from 1979 with JoAnne Worley & David Letterman--JoAnne was great in the WC.

I'd go there in an instant, but my only obstacle is my neurotic mother. Hopefully, I'll have a talk with her about me going back to Manhattan. I don't care if some of the people are rude, I still enjoy "The city," and I miss it. [/quote]
 Wait a minute...there's a TPiR from 1982 and I never heard nor saw anything about it?

Or did he typo and meant 1962?
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

AmazingErikZ

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2004, 03:35:27 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Mar 17 2004, 03:24 PM\'] [quote name=\'AmazingErikZ\' date=\'Mar 17 2004, 03:20 PM\'] Gosh, I haven't been to the Museum Of TV in almost 6 years...and I'm from NYC! This was just before I had a kidney transplant.

I'd go there in an instant, but my only obstacle is my neurotic mother. Hopefully, I'll have a talk with her about me going back to Manhattan. I don't care if some of the people are rude, I still enjoy "The city," and I miss it. [/quote]
Wait a minute...there's a TPiR from 1982 and I never heard nor saw anything about it?

Or did he typo and meant 1962? [/quote]
 Actually, it was either 1981 or 1982, not sure. I do remember a few of the pricing games in the ep: Golden Road(plays for a trailer), Grand Game(contestant wins only $100), Range Game, Squeeze Play(plays for a trip to Hawaii), and 5 Price Tags.