Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How many game shows are in your possession?  (Read 7878 times)

Desperado

How many game shows are in your possession?
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2005, 08:18:11 AM »
[quote name=\'Chief-O\' date=\'Mar 25 2005, 06:35 PM\'] I don't do trades, and I'm not planning on it either.
[snapback]79449[/snapback]
[/quote]
Gee, you're breaking my heart...  

To the DVD burners - I'm afraid it'll take me years to convert everything as well.  What kind of machine are you using?  Are you  hanging on to your original tapes?

catnap1972

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2005, 09:41:18 AM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' date=\'Mar 25 2005, 10:28 PM\'] I have problems storing a couple hundred tapes.  A thousand-plus tapes?  Oy.
[snapback]79466[/snapback]
[/quote]

I've definitely got that problem...3000 shows (more or less) on somewhere around (if not over) around a thousand tapes.  This includes around 150-200 some odd tapes that I never got around to cataloging before I dropped out of taping/trading.

I don't even want to THINK about trying to convert them to DVDs between the time and expense (blank DVDs) .

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2005, 11:04:28 AM »
[quote name=\'Desperado\' date=\'Mar 26 2005, 08:18 AM\']To the DVD burners - I'm afraid it'll take me years to convert everything as well.  What kind of machine are you using?  Are you  hanging on to your original tapes?
[snapback]79493[/snapback]
[/quote]

I have the Panasonic DMR-E50. I was the ultimate early adopter. It does the job nicely, but if you want bells and whistles like pretty menus, thumbnail graphics, et al, look elsewhere.

I'm planning on passing on the tapes I've discarded, but I'm hoping to get a little farther in the process and finding one person to take 'em all. (They'll have to drive here, naturally.) There have been many shows I've not bothered to transfer to DVD - usually stuff I just asked for to fill out a tape.

So far, I've got my 17 boxes of tapes down to 13. (I haven't bought a new videotape in about a year and a half, and I haven't done a tape trade for 2+.)
@lambertman

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2005, 12:27:24 PM »
I have 9,029 episodes, not 10,000, on nearly 900 tapes. Even with uncataloged shows, I'm certain it's not near 10,000.

Having attempted to re-arrange my closet, where all of them are kept, I've managed to disorganize part of library and mix up a lot of unmarked tapes. Ugh.
Consequently, there are a couple of past traders whose tapes I've completely lost in the mess since I wasn't more careful.

I'll have to take a picture of the entire thing and post it on the site to show what kind of frustrating mess I have to work with.
You can at least see one section of it as the "What's in the Archive" pic. :-D

I'm working on it. Sometimes lack of willpower overwhelms me, but it's getting done.

--Jamie
« Last Edit: March 26, 2005, 12:40:50 PM by Jimmy Fiono Coyne »

ChuckNet

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2005, 09:01:36 PM »
As of now, I'm currently compiling a master "conversion" list...since all my OTA stuff was recorded in SP from 96-98 (then I realized it wasn't economical w/my budget...LOL), I'll be combining a good # of those tapes, as well as weeding out duplicate copies of certain eps. Having over 1,000 tapes in my holdings, it's gonna be a monumental task converting it all, but well worth it.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2005, 10:00:11 PM »
To the DVD burners - I'm afraid it'll take me years to convert everything as well.  What kind of machine are you using?  Are you  hanging on to your original tapes?

I have a Sansui VCR-DVD combo, which is good except that you'll be teaching yourself a lot of things through trial and error because they have the most strangely-vague owner's manual ever and their customer service line isn't all too helpful.

Like Chris's, it's very barebones, but it gets the job done and done well. If you have a small TV (10-20 inch screen) you'll never notice the difference in VQ. On a big-screen (30+) you'll notice differences like pixels and "blocky" appearance occasionally, but it still looks incredibly natural and sound is always unaffected. For best results and maximum convenience, burn the shows you have a lot of in LP mode. You get ten on a disc (assuming no commercials) and little to no effect on picture quality.

whammy5000

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2005, 01:44:07 AM »
Holy freakin' poo gas!  And I thought I had a good collection!  I've got maybe 150 episodes.  Man, some of these people oughta start their own Game Show Network or something!

vtown7

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2005, 11:37:13 AM »
I've just stopped counting :)  It's not as many as the others but I know that there's a huge Rubbermaid tub sitting in my kitchen with the bulk of the tapes.  And there's three boxes in the closet,  and one near the TV... well, you get the idea.

The one shrewd investment I've made lately - no, not a DVD recorder - was the purchase of a region free DVD player.  The few overseas contacts that I have are into burning shows onto DVD.  The problem previously has been that I have had to pay mucho dinero for conversions of tapes, now that's been solved!

I also find I don't tape as much... actually there's not a single game show that I'm taping right now on a regular basis.  Last thing that I was actively taping was UK Fort Boyard when the dish unscrambled it.

Cheers,

Ryan :)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2005, 12:19:52 PM »
Decent collection, not huge (very novice as a trader, although I've made a few over the years--most of it I recorded).  I'm still efforting to get it all catalogued and organized.  If I had to take a guess it'd be somewhere in the 500-600 range (but that's purely a guess, it could be way more although it's probably not way less).

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2005, 12:42:52 PM »
I don't have the size of a collection that some of you have, but it sounds like I have one of the best-organized.  My 400 or so tapes are in one large, accessible bookshelf in identical cases, numbered consecutively as I add them to the collecton.  I have a database with the key information about each episode, so if, for example, I wanted to find all episodes I have with Buzz Aldrin (seriously, a recent search for a space fan), I can find that information in seconds, and have the tapes in my hands a few more seconds later.  (BTW, I had three shows featuring Buzz.)

I'm more interested in celebrities than having, for example, two hundred episodes of Press Your Luck.  I don't even have significant runs of Bill Cullen civilian shows.  At this point, there are enough of you nice people out there who can help me find the occasional single episode I might want that actively building up a huge catalog is not a priority.  Neither is converting them to DVD (I do enough of that at work), though I imagine I'll have to get to at least some key ones at some point.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2005, 09:11:36 AM »
Just over 1800 (on 180 tapes) - plus a couple of recent tapes that haven't found their way to my site yet.  

I'm planning on converting them to DVD eventually - but there have been posts on this forum about people having trouble converting the lesser-quality shows.  Face it - we all have fifth and sixth generation copies of studio masters of well-traded shows (in some cases that's the only way the show exists).  Will those shows convert to DVD OK - or will they have to stay forever on videotape?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2005, 09:12:17 AM by Ian Wallis »
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

mmb5

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2005, 09:17:26 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Mar 29 2005, 09:11 AM\']Just over 1800 (on 180 tapes) - plus a couple of recent tapes that haven't found their way to my site yet. 

I'm planning on converting them to DVD eventually - but there have been posts on this forum about people having trouble converting the lesser-quality shows.  Face it - we all have fifth and sixth generation copies of studio masters of well-traded shows (in some cases that's the only way the show exists).  Will those shows convert to DVD OK - or will they have to stay forever on videotape?
[snapback]79779[/snapback]
[/quote]

I ended up buying a Time-Base Corrector which does get rid a lot of the jiggle.  Unfortunately, those things are $300.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

TraderRob

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2005, 02:50:50 PM »
I haven't traded actively in over 2 years but my collection has grown to about 280 tapes and probably somewhere between 2000-2250 episodes.    I have logged most of them on paper but haven't gotten around to updating my web page.  

That and the collection of home games which also hasn't really grown in the last two years.   I still have a box in the garage that I never unpacked when I moved last year.   While I'll never compete with Mr. Ottinger, I believe to have one of the larger box game collections out there... :-)

Rob

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2005, 02:58:40 PM »
[quote name=\'TraderRob\' date=\'Mar 29 2005, 03:50 PM\']While I'll never compete with Mr. Ottinger, I believe to have one of the larger box game collections out there... :-)[/quote]
It's not a competition, I'm always thrilled to hear about large collections out there!  Our member BobZager is another one with a massive board game collection.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.