Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR: April 1, 1973  (Read 2360 times)

DjohnsonCB

TPIR: April 1, 1973
« on: April 01, 2005, 10:52:03 AM »
The second showcase was "Something for every room in the house", and featured a few paper plates and other dollar store-type "prizes".  The contestant was dumbfounded until Bob Barker said "April Fool!" and asked Johnny O. to tell her what the REAL Showcase prize was--a new Cadillac (or maybe some other big luxury car of the day).

My somewhat worldly sister, then 20-ish, watching with me and my mother, reacted to the big car by saying "It's *still* April Fool!"  I turned to her and asked why, prompting her to dismiss the offering of the car with "It burns too much gas...".  This was back in the *first* era when everyone thought gas prices were out of control and that we'd actually run out sometime soon.  For the benefit of those who weren't around then, gas wasn't even up to ONE DOLLAR yet.  

Thank God I wasn't yet driving a car myself at that time...she'd have hidden the keys to keep me from "wasting energy".
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

ChuckNet

TPIR: April 1, 1973
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 10:32:27 PM »
The second showcase was "Something for every room in the house", and featured a few paper plates and other dollar store-type "prizes". The contestant was dumbfounded until Bob Barker said "April Fool!" and asked Johnny O. to tell her what the REAL Showcase prize was--a new Cadillac (or maybe some other big luxury car of the day).

Did this ep air on GSN? Don't recall seeing it in anyone's collection...

Chuck Donegan (The Curious "Chuckie Baby")