Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: BB87 Rules Question  (Read 6873 times)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
BB87 Rules Question
« on: April 05, 2005, 10:01:17 AM »
No cable in my office, so if this crops up during today's episode (or if someone already knows) chime on in.

The format of BB87 was modified from the original in that two solo players are competing.  The modification extends to each player getting the "top-to-bottom" advantage for one round (challenger gets it first, then the champion).  Question--who has the advantage in the third game of the best "two out of three?"

Thanx.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
BB87 Rules Question
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005, 10:03:52 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Apr 5 2005, 09:01 AM\']The format of BB87 was modified from the original in that two solo players are competing.  The modification extends to each player getting the "top-to-bottom" advantage for one round (challenger gets it first, then the champion).  Question--who has the advantage in the third game of the best "two out of three?"
[snapback]80586[/snapback]
[/quote]
No one.  It's played on a 4x4 board.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
BB87 Rules Question
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005, 11:30:34 AM »
Danke.  Gracias.  Merci.

IOW, thank you.  :)

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Don Howard

BB87 Rules Question
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2005, 12:01:29 PM »
That way of doing the show continues to make no sense.
Why have an uneven board if you had solo players playing each color?
FOLLOW-UP: Anyone know why there was no family pair in this version?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 12:01:39 PM by Don Howard »

tvwxman

BB87 Rules Question
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2005, 01:16:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Apr 5 2005, 11:01 AM\']That way of doing the show continues to make no sense.
Why have an uneven board if you had solo players playing each color?
FOLLOW-UP: Anyone know why there was no family pair in this version?
[snapback]80599[/snapback]
[/quote]

GREAT question. Experts? After 2 days of reminiscing, i have (once again) come to the conclusion that as a one on one q&a show, BB doesn't work. it's just not the same ....

so why mess with a (IMHO) good thing for the revival?

another thing that bothers me about this show (and something that game shows , ESPECIALLY Goodson shows, were embracing BIG time by the mid 80s) , was the lack of a game board, replaced by computers....the set , while a nice update of the original, just looks empty without an actual board...

SP, Classic Concentration, Blockbusters....just not the same thanks to modern technology.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Jimmy Owen

BB87 Rules Question
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2005, 01:28:13 PM »
Those must have been tough shows to endure as a studio audience member. There would be no way to follow the game without looking at a monitor.  Maybe it should have been a 4X4 game for both players at all times.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 01:30:08 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
BB87 Rules Question
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2005, 01:31:51 PM »
Another question, since I'm w/o GSN right now, and was seven years old when the revival came out:

1) Was the Gold Run any harder than on the first version?

1a) How high did the jackpot get?  If the difficulty wasn't much higher, I would be surprised to see it get above $25,000 or so.

(So it was a two-parter.  I'm sorry.  I just dig "Blockbusters".)
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
BB87 Rules Question
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2005, 02:56:39 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Apr 5 2005, 10:16 AM\']so why mess with a (IMHO) good thing for the revival?
[/quote]
Easier to fill a contestant pool, would be my guess. I'd guess it's easier to find solo players than it is to find interested family pairs.
was the lack of a game board, replaced by computers....the set , while a nice update of the original, just looks empty without an actual board...

SP, Classic Concentration, Blockbusters....just not the same thanks to modern technology.
Yes. Though the other night found me with a rare hour between 8 and 9 on Tuesday, and so I chose to watch American Idol. The giant oval video screen at center stage, I think, would make a damn fine gameboard for a Concentration revival.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Neumms

BB87 Rules Question
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2005, 03:22:38 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Apr 5 2005, 12:16 PM\']SP, Classic Concentration, Blockbusters....just not the same thanks to modern technology.
[snapback]80608[/snapback]
[/quote]

Pyramid, too. Bring back trilons. (Well, and capable writing.)

SamJ93

BB87 Rules Question
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2005, 03:46:45 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Apr 5 2005, 12:31 PM\']1) Was the Gold Run any harder than on the first version?
[snapback]80611[/snapback]
[/quote]

I just caught this for the first time today myself, so maybe it was just me...but it definitely seemed like Rafferty took a longer pause between the contestant calling the space and him reading the clue, sometimes as much as a whole second.

Perhaps this was some sort of attempt to make it more difficult?  Then again, if you're resorting to things like that, why not just shorten the time from 60 to 45 seconds?

--Sam
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

Don Howard

BB87 Rules Question
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2005, 04:06:50 PM »
[quote name=\'SamJ93\' date=\'Apr 5 2005, 02:46 PM\'][quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Apr 5 2005, 12:31 PM\']1) Was the Gold Run any harder than on the first version?
[snapback]80611[/snapback]
[/quote]
I just caught this for the first time today myself, so maybe it was just me...but it definitely seemed like Rafferty took a longer pause between the contestant calling the space and him reading the clue, sometimes as much as a whole second.
[snapback]80640[/snapback]
[/quote]
During the main game, it looked like Bill was reading from a computer screen in his desk and not from question cards like Mr. Cullen. Could it just take an extra second for the computer to call up the question and Bill is forced to wait until it appears?
As far as the jackpot inquiry from earlier, the Gold Run award doesn't begin to increase until later in the run and it is done Password Plus and Hot Potato style. It just increases for that particular player if they don't win the top dollar. It always is worth $5000 to a new champion. And I believe winning the game only got you $100 instead of the $500 offered in the original run.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 04:08:55 PM by Don Howard »

SplitSecond

BB87 Rules Question
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2005, 04:26:39 PM »
The delay is most likely due to the fact that Bill was indeed reading questions off a monitor.  Blockbusters was the first game show in the US to adopt this now-fairly-standard process.

Has anybody else noticed how much more housewife-y the questions are on this version than on Cullen's?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 04:27:10 PM by SplitSecond »

uncamark

BB87 Rules Question
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2005, 04:32:56 PM »
It may be a quirk on my part, but to me it's still important--I have no complaints about using improvements in technology for game boards--just have a monitor on the set where they can be seen, even if just an establishing shot (no complaints about insets or split screens).  Don't have everyone looking off into the great unknown.  The board *always* should be on stage, no matter what.

BrandonFG

BB87 Rules Question
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2005, 05:30:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Apr 5 2005, 02:22 PM\'][quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Apr 5 2005, 12:16 PM\']SP, Classic Concentration, Blockbusters....just not the same thanks to modern technology.
[snapback]80608[/snapback]
[/quote]

Pyramid, too. Bring back trilons. (Well, and capable writing.)
[snapback]80637[/snapback]
[/quote]

Pyramid was fine for me, monitors or trilons. It's one show where it didn't feel like the flow was gone with modern technology. I'll agree with you on the writing, though.

Two more mid-80s examples I thought of, Crosswits and High Rollers. Never seen the 70s C-W, but I remember reading there was a model, and the 80s version using a chryon puzzleboard just seems lackluster, or was the show just lackluster? ;-) (Yes, Zach, I know the Sparks version had a female announcer, and it doesn't compensate)

BTW, anyone have any pics of the 70s C-W board? Always wanted to see some screenshots.

The chryoned columns on HR seemed cheap IMO, and just didn't fit into such a flashy set.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

aaron sica

BB87 Rules Question
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2005, 05:35:09 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Apr 5 2005, 05:30 PM\']
Two more mid-80s examples I thought of, Crosswits and High Rollers. Never seen the 70s C-W, but I remember reading there was a model, and the 80s version using a chryon puzzleboard just seems lackluster, or was the show just lackluster? ;-) (Yes, Zach, I know the Sparks version had a female announcer, and it doesn't compensate)

BTW, anyone have any pics of the 70s C-W board? Always wanted to see some screenshots.

The chryoned columns on HR seemed cheap IMO, and just didn't fit into such a flashy set.
[snapback]80650[/snapback]
[/quote]

I have that famous "half an episode" that's floated around the circuit...Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the puzzleboard on the '70s C-W was just a simple series of lights. When the player got the word right, each light (one letter per light) would come on in succession. Jerri Fiala would use her pointer to show what word they were going for when one was picked (i.e. "3 ACROSS").