Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The prizes of TPIR  (Read 3924 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
The prizes of TPIR
« on: April 06, 2005, 03:05:16 PM »
After seeing a few episodes from the early days of TPIR, and comparing them to the shows seen recently, I noticed a trend, and hope someone might be able to back me up.  In the early days, many of the prizes were home furnishings, and practical stuff too: dishwashers, TV sets, and so on.  Just today, we got an electric furnace, soft-side spa, and a hammock.  When did things change from stuff that we can use (I would love to have a dishwasher in my apartment) to weird stuff that probably goes straight back to the warehouse?  Those poor, orphaned GEM cars, just sitting there, waiting for some unsuspecting soul to take one home...
Travis L. Eberle

jmangin

The prizes of TPIR
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005, 03:18:47 PM »
It may relate to the change in staffing for prize coordinators.  I buy the "prizes" when we have contests here in the office, and I usually buy things that peak my interest or things I think other people would want....my predecessors may have had different ideas of what they think people would like to win.

It could also have to do with some rollover of the excess experienced in the dot-com bubble.  Everyone remembers all of the gadgetry and unnecessary items people splurged on, and some people would be very happy winning those same items today.

tvrandywest

The prizes of TPIR
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 04:23:54 PM »
My understanding is that there is an on-going priority placed on new or interesting items that have not been seen before. It makes the viewing fresher, the game play more unpredictable, and it actually generates viewer interest. The TPiR Q&A section of CBS.com is only a sampling of the questions the show receives, but at my last look many people were actually requesting information on the unusual prizes and their availability.

And of course as there are some "promotional consideration" deals involved with some of the merchandise, the nature of those deals have influence on products and manufacturers. Search this site for past posts offering specifics on products, sponsors, "prize shleppers" and that whole end of the business.

And just exactly what IS wrong with a porcelain dalmation? You never have to walk them.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: April 06, 2005, 04:24:29 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

WhammyPower

The prizes of TPIR
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005, 04:32:23 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Apr 6 2005, 02:23 PM\']And just exactly what IS wrong with a porcelain dalmation? You never have to walk them.
[snapback]80789[/snapback]
[/quote]And you can also see them outside your local firehouse.

CarShark

The prizes of TPIR
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2005, 04:33:33 PM »
They probably had more useful things before before because it was a housewife's show. The Dennis James episode that was found recently offered a range as the first IUfB...and as the 3-digit prize in Any Number. They needed a wider selection, so they started adding electronics. Really, what could they use now? Besides, we might not want something, but that doesn't mean that someone won't. Go to http://www.cbs.com/daytime/price/community/qa/. Someone has asked for information about nearly every prize from the wavy lamp to the Fold 'N Go scooter to the see-through kayak. That's why they stay.

Steve Gavazzi

The prizes of TPIR
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2005, 10:06:17 PM »
And really, Price does still offer a lot of those appliances (although kitchen items tend to come in packages these days).  Heck, just today, Coming or Going was played for a clock.  The just offer a lot of other things, too, so they're not as prominent as they used to be.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
The prizes of TPIR
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2005, 09:08:20 AM »
I was going to post this topic myself, or at least bring it up among friends. I was watching the first week the other day and noticed everything was something we (me, dad and my brother) could price, something practical. Then I watched shows from a year or two later, same thing.

Then I get to '76 and '77 and notice a lot of odd furniture and stuff. I think this change came with the advent of the hour show (just a conjecture) due to the simple fact they needed more prizes. You can't have home appliances on every IUFB because you'd have the same stable of a dozen or so prizes. So it becomes necessary to have hammocks and chairs that hang from the ceiling and robot vacuums. I like some of the prizes, others are just junk. It's just a matter of taste.

Although I do commend them on one thing. Because of TPiR, NOW I can price a baker's rack.

-Jason
« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 09:09:32 AM by JasonA1 »
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

WhewsYourDaddy

The prizes of TPIR
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2005, 01:20:24 PM »
It cracks me up to see a frat dude play for a "charming....brass day bed"

cmjb13

The prizes of TPIR
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2005, 01:27:34 PM »
[quote name=\'WhewsYourDaddy\' date=\'Apr 7 2005, 01:20 PM\']It cracks me up to see a frat dude play for a "charming....brass day bed"
[snapback]80875[/snapback]
[/quote]
Well, he's either sleeping on it or doing something else on it.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

joshg

The prizes of TPIR
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2005, 01:46:22 PM »
I always thought that the "wacky" prizes that started showing up in the mid to late '70s were due to two facts:

1. Jay Wolpert
2. It was the 1970's, you know. (Avocado green appliances, anyone)

I loved the Fridge with the audio tape recorder in the door.

Josh
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...