Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wink On The Spot  (Read 5836 times)

mystery7

Wink On The Spot
« on: April 11, 2005, 10:37:35 PM »
He may not be hosting a show right now, but Wink Martindale did get to feel like a host again on a new Orbitz commercial. He's hosting a game called "Take On Orbitz". Seen this one yet?

Craig Karlberg

Wink On The Spot
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 05:04:01 AM »
I saw it last night.  Very intresting though it did look rather akward seeing a guy being hounded by his kids on there.  Intresting they showed a computer there while he's being pestered.  It was basically a race to see which one got their trips booked the fastest naturally with the guy using his computer winning that one.  The color scheme was unlike any I seen on a gane show(basically a mix of teal & white on the set),

davemackey

Wink On The Spot
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 05:29:57 AM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' date=\'Apr 11 2005, 10:37 PM\']He may not be hosting a show right now, but Wink Martindale did get to feel like a host again on a new Orbitz commercial. He's hosting a game called "Take On Orbitz". Seen this one yet?
[snapback]81561[/snapback]
[/quote]
Wink looks remarkably well preserved for 71.

BrandonFG

Wink On The Spot
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 10:02:36 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Apr 12 2005, 04:04 AM\']I saw it last night.  Very intresting though it did look rather akward seeing a guy being hounded by his kids on there.  Intresting they showed a computer there while he's being pestered.  It was basically a race to see which one got their trips booked the fastest naturally with the guy using his computer winning that one.  The color scheme was unlike any I seen on a gane show(basically a mix of teal & white on the set),
[snapback]81581[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thank you, Confucius. Got any lottery numbers for the week?
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

tvrandywest

Wink On The Spot
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 10:55:05 AM »
I just spoke to The Winker about all sorts of stuff. He says today's (Tuesday's) New York Times business section has a story about Orbitz / him / the spot. Anybody see it? Link it?

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: April 12, 2005, 10:55:30 AM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

MikeK

• Martha!
Wink On The Spot
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 10:55:23 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Apr 12 2005, 10:02 AM\']Thank you, Confucius. Got any lottery numbers for the week?[/quote]
<Meatwad from Aqua Teen Hunger Force>ONE!  TWO!  Umm...three?  Four?!  Uhhh...kfive?  Six.</Meatwad>

A few people might get the reference.  It's worth a shot.

[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Apr 12 2005, 10:55 AM\']I just spoke to The Winker about all sorts of stuff. He says today's (Tuesday's) New York Times business section has a story about Orbitz / him / the spot. Anybody see it? Link it?[/quote]
But of course!

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/12/business/media/12adco.html

Registration may be required.

I haven't seen the ad.  Based on the picture at the aforementioned link, the Winkster doesn't look bad for 71.  I hope I look that well when I turn 31!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2005, 10:59:30 AM by hmtriplecrown »

zachhoran

Wink On The Spot
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005, 11:01:29 AM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Apr 12 2005, 09:55 AM\']

I haven't seen the ad.  Based on the picture at the aforementioned link, the Winkster doesn't look bad for 71.  I hope I look that well when I turn 31!
[snapback]81598[/snapback]
[/quote]

He'll turn 71 next December 4th, actually. But he hasn't changed a bit at 70 1/3

MikeK

• Martha!
Wink On The Spot
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2005, 11:13:06 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Apr 12 2005, 11:01 AM\'][quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Apr 12 2005, 09:55 AM\']I haven't seen the ad.  Based on the picture at the aforementioned link, the Winkster doesn't look bad for 71.  I hope I look that well when I turn 31![/quote]
He'll turn 71 next December 4th, actually. But he hasn't changed a bit at 70 1/3[/quote]
I'm sorry I have pissed off the Game Show God by using information provided by one of the most reliable people on this board.  Forgive me for I have sinned.

*"Cleanup in Aisle 5" blares over the store PA system*

I think your boss needs your help, Zach.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Wink On The Spot
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2005, 11:37:33 AM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Apr 12 2005, 10:55 AM\']<Meatwad from Aqua Teen Hunger Force>ONE!  TWO!  Umm...three?  Four?!  Uhhh...kfive?  Six.</Meatwad>

A few people might get the reference.  It's worth a shot.
[snapback]81598[/snapback]
[/quote]

<Master Shake from ATHF> K-five?!?!?! </Master Shake>

And I always considered Zach more of a busboy myself...
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

aaron sica

Wink On The Spot
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2005, 11:38:49 AM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' date=\'Apr 12 2005, 11:37 AM\']
And I always considered Zach more of a busboy myself...
[snapback]81606[/snapback]
[/quote]

Remember, he's a trashcan.

cmjb13

Wink On The Spot
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2005, 12:25:29 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Apr 12 2005, 10:55 AM\']http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/12/business/media/12adco.html[/url]
Registration may be required.
[/quote]
This is a very good site. May never need to register again.

http://bugmenot.com/
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Wink On The Spot
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2005, 02:19:57 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Apr 12 2005, 11:25 AM\']This is a very good site. May never need to register again.

http://bugmenot.com/
[snapback]81614[/snapback]
[/quote]
Thanks for that.  Nice picture of Wink, too.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

WhammyPower

Wink On The Spot
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2005, 04:17:02 PM »
[quote name=\'from the article\']said Rich Cronin, president and chief executive of GSN, the cable network in Santa Monica, Calif., formerly known as the Game Show Network.[/quote]
Do they really have to ask him?  Couldn't they ask Bob Goen or Jim Caldwell or something?

uncamark

Wink On The Spot
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2005, 04:35:41 PM »
[quote name=\'WhammyPower\' date=\'Apr 12 2005, 03:17 PM\'][quote name=\'from the article\']said Rich Cronin, president and chief executive of GSN, the cable network in Santa Monica, Calif., formerly known as the Game Show Network.[/quote]
Do they really have to ask him?  Couldn't they ask Bob Goen or Jim Caldwell or something?
[snapback]81633[/snapback]
[/quote]

At last report, he does run a channel that features game shows for most of its schedule.  And he kept the focus almost entirely on game shows for 2 1/2 years more than almost anyone else who would've taken over the channel.  As I've said many times, what happened at GSN was inevitable.  Rich kept it from happening 2 1/2 years before it did happen and he shouldn't be treated like a pariah for that.