Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game show finalies  (Read 5764 times)

saussage

Game show finalies
« on: April 11, 2005, 11:11:26 PM »
It's the last of its series. Everyone on the set knows it. Soon afterwords, people will be tearing up the studio for "who knows what". Many of these game show hosts made a fortune during their run, but as many game shows come and go, emotions run through... the host... the panel or the contestants, and of course the fans knowing that the end is near.

Are there any moments you recall from the end of a series that was out of the ordinary? A speech that made you teary-eyed? A moment of confusion with the host or guests? Or just outright anger from someone on the set that he or she should've just taken pills and stay home instead.

Here's mine. I'm an emotional guy (yeah right :) ). Anyhow, one moment that cought my attention was Richard Dawson's tearful farewell. It was really touching BUT it also seemed like he knew that he ruffled a few feathers during the run and tried to make mends during that speech. As well, the Richard Nixon bit earlier in fast money was funny but a bit out of the ordinary for FF. Almost like breaking the ice from the prom jitters.

Or as a funnier one, Hit Man and Rod Roddy :) You get the picture.

* Forgot to put it on the Big Board.... sorry.

PS: Oh yeah, my new sig will problably be related to WOF but I just wanted to see if this one flew.

Saussage
In the process of super gluing blue sparkles on the big wheel. Hope Bob won't mind :)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2005, 11:13:15 PM by saussage »
Don't think too hard... you might give yourself a headache.

saussage

Game show finalies
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 11:22:48 PM »
[quote name=\'saussage\' date=\'Apr 11 2005, 10:11 PM\']* Forgot to put it on the Big Board.... sorry.

Ok... well let's make it GSN compliant. Has GSN shown your moment? Can we expect it sometime near in their schedule so that we can all enjoy it? Or should GSN get the rights to that show if it was ever possible.
[snapback]81564[/snapback]
[/quote]
Don't think too hard... you might give yourself a headache.

BrandonFG

Game show finalies
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 12:07:09 AM »
[quote name=\'saussage\' date=\'Apr 11 2005, 10:22 PM\'][quote name=\'saussage\' date=\'Apr 11 2005, 10:11 PM\']* Forgot to put it on the Big Board.... sorry.

Ok... well let's make it GSN compliant. Has GSN shown your moment? Can we expect it sometime near in their schedule so that we can all enjoy it? Or should GSN get the rights to that show if it was ever possible.
[snapback]81564[/snapback]
[/quote]
[snapback]81567[/snapback]
[/quote]

I thought the Feud finale was touching as well, and was happy to be able to catch it a couple of years ago on GSN.

Minor nit: the president from Fast Money was Reagan. ;-)
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

sshuffield70

Game show finalies
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 10:39:19 AM »
I think for good finales, you'd have to say NYSI '89 (available somewhere with a $35,000 win), and Dream House (big winner on the final day).

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Game show finalies
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 10:50:06 AM »
I don't intend this to criticize, because a lot of subjects have been bandied about here in the almost two years of this board's existence (pause to let that sink in--almost two years).  But there's still some interesting reading in this thread, which happened in December 2003, which touches on a very similar vein (a couple of choice arguments ensued as well ;-) ).  Again, not trying to be critical here, and admittedly I do enjoy going back and revisiting old threads, not for the opportunity to bump them up but to see the great writing contained therein (and mine as well ;-D).  Yes, sometimes sifting through can be a challenge even if you know what you're doing.

Anyway, one of the things touched on in that thread was that the Dawson FF finale might not have actually aired on ABC.  Several of us who live in cities with ABC O&O's (meaning whatever the network showed they showed) seemed to recall that the final episode that aired on our ABC stations was a "regular" episode with no farewell speech.  A question that was asked (but never really answered) was whether the Dawson speech was actually seen on ABC, or if it turned up after GSN aired it.

If you're so inclined, take a look at the thread.  :)

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

zachhoran

Game show finalies
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 10:51:27 AM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Apr 12 2005, 09:39 AM\']I think for good finales, you'd have to say NYSI '89 (available somewhere with a $35,000 win), and Dream House (big winner on the final day).
[snapback]81593[/snapback]
[/quote]

They made the bonus game questions on the NYSI89 finale just a little easier than usual to make a won that much more likely. I have to wonder if the producers played a little game of "give them the house anyway" on the Dream House 1984 finale. Bob usually verified what the winning combination was via the packet he held during the endgame, even if the house was won. IIRC from 21 year old memory that he threw the packet up in the air on the finale and never verified it.

Terry K

Game show finalies
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005, 11:26:23 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Apr 12 2005, 09:51 AM\'][quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Apr 12 2005, 09:39 AM\']I think for good finales, you'd have to say NYSI '89 (available somewhere with a $35,000 win), and Dream House (big winner on the final day).
[/quote]

They made the bonus game questions on the NYSI89 finale just a little easier than usual to make a won that much more likely. I have to wonder if the producers played a little game of "give them the house anyway" on the Dream House 1984 finale. Bob usually verified what the winning combination was via the packet he held during the endgame, even if the house was won. IIRC from 21 year old memory that he threw the packet up in the air on the finale and never verified it.
[snapback]81596[/snapback]
[/quote]

I recall from the DH finale that they decided that the winner would get the house automatically since they could not continue as champion, as the series was ending.  On most of the finales its usually decided that the contestants in question get a cash prize or whatever they'd accumulated at the end of the show, if a game was in progress.  I can't recall the show right off, but one host I believe said "If we run out of time during our final game, each contestant will get whatever they've accumulated"  (That was CBS TJW, IIRC, they ran out of time and both contestants were awarded the amount of money they'd won in their game)

Generally speaking, any show, flop or not, wants to go out on top, and will make the material easier to ensure a big winner.

Now, for the most memorable moments, the final week of H2 goes down especailly with Carrot Top's comment about I'd like to [bleep] Dr Joyce Brothers, along with the fact they did the staff appreciation made it a truly memorable finale.

sshuffield70

Game show finalies
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2005, 12:22:58 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Apr 12 2005, 08:51 AM\'][quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Apr 12 2005, 09:39 AM\']I think for good finales, you'd have to say NYSI '89 (available somewhere with a $35,000 win), and Dream House (big winner on the final day).
[/quote]

[snapback]81596[/snapback]
[/quote]

He DID verify it and then threw it up in the air.

So, once again, Zach opens mouth and inserts foot.  Next thing I might suggest is open trash can , insert Zach.

cmjb13

Game show finalies
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2005, 12:29:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Terry K\' date=\'Apr 12 2005, 11:26 AM\']Now, for the most memorable moments, the final week of H2 goes down especailly with Carrot Top's comment about I'd like to [bleep] Dr Joyce Brothers, along with the fact they did the staff appreciation made it a truly memorable finale.
[snapback]81604[/snapback]
[/quote]
Aside from the comment, I thought this was one of the, if not the, worst finales ever.

Strange not to acknowlege the end of the series outright for the casual/common viewer.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

ChuckNet

Game show finalies
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2005, 12:10:23 AM »
They made the bonus game questions on the NYSI89 finale just a little easier than usual to make a won that much more likely.

Though it didn't help buzzer-happy Carol much during the qualifying round. :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

ChuckNet

Game show finalies
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2005, 12:13:16 AM »
Aside from the comment, I thought this was one of the, if not the, worst finales ever.

Strange not to acknowlege the end of the series outright for the casual/common viewer.

I have to agree...after a successful 6-yr run, H2 (IMO) really went out w/a whimper...only a passing mention during the closing credits, and what was the point of starting a new game w/just a few min left on Fri when they knew time would be called?

And for those who saw the GSC12 page and maybe thought otherwise, those were just crocodile tears I shed during the show's final moments...LOL

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Ian Wallis

Game show finalies
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2005, 09:04:22 AM »
I do enjoy going back and revisiting old threads, not for the opportunity to bump them up but to see the great writing contained therein

Thank you  :)

I have to agree...after a successful 6-yr run, H2 (IMO) really went out w/a whimper...only a passing mention during the closing credits

I agree that they should have made a bigger deal of it, but one of the problems about syndicated shows is the summer reruns.  I guess they must have figured nobody would watch during the summer if they thought that was the last episode.

Having said that, there are a few well-known shows out there that never acknowledged the finale ("Press Your Luck", "Match Game" just to name two) - and it's kind of disappointing.  I always looked forward to hearing the hosts final words!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

tvwxman

Game show finalies
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2005, 02:49:10 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Apr 12 2005, 11:13 PM\']
I have to agree...after a successful 6-yr run, H2 (IMO) really went out w/a whimper...only a passing mention during the closing credits, and what was the point of starting a new game w/just a few min left on Fri when they knew time would be called?
[/quote]

Tom himself told me that they preferred not to be 'maudlin' and just end it on a regular note. I personally thought the ending was classy. Straight, to the point. Cut and that's a wrap.

What were you looking for? Tears like Bob Eubanks? A slow credit roll? Maybe the addition of a quick game was a bit odd, but it did give em a chance to add to the charity totals at the end...IMHO, that's not bad.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

cmjb13

Game show finalies
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2005, 02:56:53 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Apr 13 2005, 02:49 PM\']What were you looking for? Tears like Bob Eubanks? A slow credit roll?
[snapback]81752[/snapback]
[/quote]
Just a comment that this was the last show for the common viewer without having to read between the lines.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Jimmy Owen

Game show finalies
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2005, 08:33:00 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Apr 13 2005, 01:56 PM\'][quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Apr 13 2005, 02:49 PM\']What were you looking for? Tears like Bob Eubanks? A slow credit roll?
[snapback]81752[/snapback]
[/quote]
Just a comment that this was the last show for the common viewer without having to read between the lines.
[snapback]81754[/snapback]
[/quote]

For the stations that had several months of the show yet to run (albeit in reruns) it really wasn't the last show.  Our local station did run a crawl noting that a different show would be filling the timeslot the next Monday.  I guess they could have taped an alternate ending that could have been tacked on when the reruns ended.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 08:34:48 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.