Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Concentration question...  (Read 3916 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Concentration question...
« on: April 13, 2005, 11:28:02 PM »
Something I'm drawing a blank on that someone here ought to be able to answer easily:

Did the Narz version of Concentration, or any one previous (in other words, NOT Classic or the Orson Bean pilot) have the host, after the game, a) walk over to the puzzleboard and point through the solution to the puzzle, or b) even explain it verbally from the podium?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 11:42:10 PM »
On the Narz version, at least in the one on the circuit, Jack goes up to the puzzle and does the Trebek bit, albeit a bit more speedy because of the need to get in two games on a 30-square board, and the fact he has a lot more to explain than Alex ever had. He also does it for each Double Play puzzle.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

clemon79

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 01:55:04 AM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Apr 13 2005, 08:42 PM\']On the Narz version, at least in the one on the circuit, Jack goes up to the puzzle and does the Trebek bit
[/quote]
Ah. Well there you go then. I knew someone here would be able to tell me. Thanks! :)

whewfan

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005, 05:47:33 AM »
On the original Concentration, Hugh just verbally explained the puzzle from where he was standing, whether it was behind a podium in the early shows or between the contestants on later shows.

TwoInchQuad

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005, 11:07:32 AM »
Actually, Hugh also occasionally went over to the board and explained some of the puzzles by pointing out the various objects... I remember **that** quite well.

-Kevin

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005, 11:32:07 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Apr 13 2005, 11:28 PM\']Did the Narz version of Concentration, or any one previous (in other words, NOT Classic or the Orson Bean pilot) have the host, after the game, a) walk over to the puzzleboard and point through the solution to the puzzle, or b) even explain it verbally from the podium?[/quote]
If you need more evidence (doubtful, but I'll offer it), I have a press photo of Narz at the puzzle board, describing a puzzle.

clemon79

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2005, 02:23:25 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Apr 14 2005, 08:32 AM\']If you need more evidence (doubtful, but I'll offer it), I have a press photo of Narz at the puzzle board, describing a puzzle.
[snapback]81876[/snapback]
[/quote]
Thanks, but none needed, I just couldn't remember myself (I usetacould, but now I'm gettin' old and I can't remember what I had for dinner the previous night sometimes. :)) and I knew someone here would be able to.

davemackey

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2005, 03:38:23 PM »
Hugh Downs and/or Bob Clayton seldom walked over to the puzzle board on the original "Concentration", and then to only show its relative size because a lot of people weren't aware how big the puzzle board was.

Jack Narz always was in front of the puzzle explaining the breakdown of the rebuses from Day 1.

alfonzos

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2005, 11:25:46 PM »
Hosts of the original Concentration rarely walked to the board to explain the puzzle. Narz always walked over to the board to explain it. Trebek walked over to the blue screen to explain the puzzle until he made snide remark about how often the puzzle designer used the symbol "oar." The job was then given to the contestant.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

Neumms

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2005, 03:57:52 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' date=\'Apr 14 2005, 10:25 PM\']Trebek walked over to the blue screen to explain the puzzle until he made snide remark about how often the puzzle designer used the symbol "oar." The job was then given to the contestant.
[snapback]81972[/snapback]
[/quote]

Ha! Did Classic Concentration puzzles include a good many awls? This would seem to be a word (and an implement) disappearing from modern usage. Perhaps a revival could stem the tide.