Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Seacrest's "lifetime achievement" award  (Read 6781 times)

tvrandywest

Seacrest's "lifetime achievement" award
« on: April 15, 2005, 11:18:04 PM »
While Ryan is very talented and was an absolute joy to work with on "Wild Animal Games", I would not have predicted this anytime soon: The former game show host, radio personality, and all-around media darling will be immortalized among Tinsel Town's most famous on April 20 at 11:30 a.m.

Discuss.

And perhaps we can list the people who do NOT have a star. I'll start: Bill Cullen.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: April 15, 2005, 11:21:49 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

catkins522

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 11:44:58 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Apr 15 2005, 10:18 PM\']And perhaps we can list the people who do NOT have a star. I'll start: Bill Cullen.
[/quote]

Ok, I'll start...

Chuck Barris
Gene Rayburn
Johnny Olson
Don Pardo
Wink Martindale
Rod Roddy

Charles Atkins
-----------

Bigger and better....in HD!!!!

Winkfan

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 11:45:21 PM »
And perhaps we can list the people who do NOT have a star. I'll start: Bill Cullen.

I'll go a few better:

Wink Martindale
Peter Marshall
Jim Perry
Chuck Woolery
Peter Tomarken
Richard Dawson
Gene Rayburn
Jack Barry

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Lois Arneo of the Big Board!'
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 02:35:42 PM by Winkfan »
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024) & Peter Marshall (1926-2024)

Tim L

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005, 11:47:09 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Apr 15 2005, 10:18 PM\']While Ryan is very talented and was an absolute joy to work with on "Wild Animal Games", I would not have predicted this anytime soon: The former game show host, radio personality, and all-around media darling will be immortalized among Tinsel Town's most famous on April 20 at 11:30 a.m.

Discuss.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
[snapback]82068[/snapback]
[/quote]

I have to agree..Known mostly for a gimmicky show in which he does very little (American Idol) and a daily talk show that lasted about a season..While he has some talent..Definetly not "Walk of Fame" material.

Tim Lones

sshuffield70

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2005, 11:47:35 PM »
the 'Lois Arneo of the Big Board!'

ARNEO

beep-beep-boop-boop-beep!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2005, 11:48:00 PM by sshuffield70 »

TwoInchQuad

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2005, 12:16:38 AM »
He must do a **hell** of a lot of charity work for the local Hollywood community... it's my understanding that's often a factor in deciding who gets a star on the Walk of Fame.

-Kevin
« Last Edit: April 16, 2005, 12:20:05 AM by TwoInchQuad »

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2005, 03:02:45 AM »
[quote name=\'Winkfan\' date=\'Apr 15 2005, 10:45 PM\'][quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Apr 15 2005, 08:18 PM\']And perhaps we can list the people who do NOT have a star. I'll start: Bill Cullen.[/quote]

I'll go a few better:

Wink Martindale
Peter Marshall
Jim Perry
Chuck Woolery
Peter Tomarken
Richard Dawson
Gene Rayburn
Jack Barry
[snapback]82071[/snapback]
[/quote]

In exact order starting with Martindale: maybe, maybe, no one outside of us would know who he is, good possibility, no, good possibility, unlikely, highly unlikely.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2005, 04:21:00 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82 and someone else\' date=\'Apr 16 2005, 02:02 AM\']Richard Dawson
good possibility
[snapback]82084[/snapback]
[/quote]
A recluse shouldn't be eligible, IMO.
Interesting you think Dawson has a better chance than Peter Marshall--though I guess Dawson did appear on "Hogan's Heroes" and a couple other series.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2005, 06:07:40 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Apr 15 2005, 08:18 PM\']While Ryan is very talented and was an absolute joy to work with on "Wild Animal Games", I would not have predicted this anytime soon: The former game show host, radio personality, and all-around media darling will be immortalized among Tinsel Town's most famous on April 20 at 11:30 a.m.

Discuss.
[/quote]
Ya know what? Good for him.

Say what you will (the global "you", of course, not you specifically, Randy) about him being flavor of the month, light in the loafers, or whatever else you want, but because of various and sundry burps in the television schedule, I have had occasion to watch American Idol. Don't particularly care for the way the contestants perform, the fact that they were singing songs from their birthyears had liver spots exploding on the back of my hands, but I was entertained.

Because Seacrest is a GOOD HOST. He's snappy, he's comfortable, he moves things along, you can tell he's pretty much winging it (or at least makes it look like he's winging it, which is even better). If I had a show to host, I think I would pretty much wanna do it like he does.

So it's good to see that good works are being recognized.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

cmjb13

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2005, 06:42:22 AM »
From http://www.hollywoodchamber.net

Criteria for Star on the Walk of Fame
1.  Professional achievement
2.  Longevity of five years in the field of entertainment
3.  Contributions to the community

Plus he pays $15,000 for the plaque, etc...

How in the hell did he get picked among other applicants?

Who was he competing against? Todd Bridges? Barry Williams?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Johnissoevil

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2005, 07:49:37 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Apr 16 2005, 06:07 AM\'][quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Apr 15 2005, 08:18 PM\']While Ryan is very talented and was an absolute joy to work with on "Wild Animal Games", I would not have predicted this anytime soon: The former game show host, radio personality, and all-around media darling will be immortalized among Tinsel Town's most famous on April 20 at 11:30 a.m.

Discuss.
[/quote]
Ya know what? Good for him.

Say what you will (the global "you", of course, not you specifically, Randy) about him being flavor of the month, light in the loafers, or whatever else you want, but because of various and sundry burps in the television schedule, I have had occasion to watch American Idol. Don't particularly care for the way the contestants perform, the fact that they were singing songs from their birthyears had liver spots exploding on the back of my hands, but I was entertained.

Because Seacrest is a GOOD HOST. He's snappy, he's comfortable, he moves things along, you can tell he's pretty much winging it (or at least makes it look like he's winging it, which is even better). If I had a show to host, I think I would pretty much wanna do it like he does.

So it's good to see that good works are being recognized.
[snapback]82092[/snapback]
[/quote]

Absolutely.  I enjoyed watching Click on Sunday mornings for the two season that it was on.  I didn't know who Ryan was when it first premiered (Damn cable company had dropped Family Channel in 1993, after I had only seen a handful of Trivial Pursuit eps), but I thought he did a decent job.  Hell, I'll go as far as to say that I'm one of the few who actually liked his show "On Air" that aired last season.  I'll also go as far as saying that Bill Cullen is looking down on this accomplishment of Ryan's, smiling at his predecessor in the entertainment field.
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2005, 08:48:32 AM »
There you go believing Hollywood publicity again.

Criteria for Star on the Walk of Fame
1. Professional achievement
2. Longevity of five years in the field of entertainment
3. Contributions to the community

Plus he pays $15,000 for the plaque, etc...

How in the hell did he get picked among other applicants?
Reason #4.

Name 15 people who could have stars on the Walk of Fame but for writing a check in the appropriate amount to the Hollywood C of C:

Chuck Barris
Gene Rayburn
Johnny Olson
Don Pardo
Wink Martindale
Rod Roddy
Wink Martindale
Peter Marshall
Jim Perry
Chuck Woolery
Peter Tomarken
Richard Dawson
Gene Rayburn
Jack Barry
Randy West

Hey, if Wendell Niles can have a star ...

They probably wouldn't go for Pardo, who has never done a lick of work in Hollywood.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2005, 09:10:50 AM by chris319 »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2005, 09:10:43 AM »
I'm probably in the top 10 of Bill Cullen fans, but most of his best stuff was done in New York.  The same would be true of Don Pardo.  I'm not opposed to a star for Ryan. He's hosting the hottest show on TV right now, so why not?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2005, 09:49:38 AM »
Spot check of the Walk of Fame:

Mark Goodson - Yes
Bill Todman - No
Monty Hall - Yes
Alex Trebek - Yes
Johnny Gilbert - No
Pat Sajak - Yes
Vanna White - No
Betty White - Yes
Merv Griffin - oooh, Yes
Charlie O'Donnell - surprisingly, No
Ken Jennings - No
Geoff Edwards - No
Ralph Edwards - Yes
Richard Dawson - No
Patrick Wayne - thank gawd, No
Jim Caldwell - are you kidding me?
Jm J. Bullock - pffft
Rip Taylor - Yes
Charles Nelson Reilly - No
Paul Lynde - No
Ralph Story - No
Charo - No
Kitty Carlisle - Yes (motion pictures)
Bennett Cerf - Yes (television - go figure)
Allen Ludden - Yes (what the hell for?)
Larry Blyden - No, despite being a damn decent character actor
John Daly - Yes
Bill Leyden - Yes

To prove there is no equity in Hollywood, Rusty Hamer has a star for his long and illustrious show business career playing what's-his-name on Make Room for Daddy, but Larry Mathews (Mazzeo) who played Ritchie Petrie on The Dick Van Dyke Show does not. Neither does Angela Cartwright, who not only played Hamer's sister, but also played Penny Robinson on Lost In Space. There is no justice in this world, I tell you.

I would say Ry-Ry is no more or no less deserving of a star than others who have them. Having a star on the Walk of Fame is probably a boost to the ego, until a wino vomits on it.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2005, 11:38:25 AM by chris319 »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2005, 10:14:51 AM »
On the Hollywood C of C web site there is a Walk of Fame listing for the popular band, Wind & Fire Earth. I kid you not.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2005, 10:15:33 AM by chris319 »