Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Password Variations...  (Read 7793 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
The Password Variations...
« on: April 16, 2005, 04:17:31 AM »
Playing Password with some internet aquatinces (bad misspell), I came to wonder: Does anyone have a concise knowledge of what words were allowed on P+ and SP?

I know that SP disallowed foreign words, but allowed opposites.
Can someone else provide a more concise list? [Feel free to use the other Passwords, if need be].
--Mark
Phil 4:13

whewfan

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2005, 05:48:25 AM »
BTW <voice of Speak N Spell> The correct spelling is A-C-Q-U-A-I-N-T-A-N-C-E

Back to Password...

On Password Plus in the early part of the run, they were more lenient. For example "Firewoman" was acceptable for "Fireman". Also, forms of the password were considered correct, the player did not have to give the correct form. I believe the "no opposites" rule was implemented because too many celebs and players were relying on opposites to convey passwords. At the beginning of the run, each side got 3 clues each, later it was 2 clues each. Also, the team that DIDN'T guess the password got the first clue of the next password. (As was the case for the previous Passwords) Fortunately they realized that gave that team an unfair advantage guessing the puzzle and changed the rule.

Super Password, for the first show only, had a rule that if a player couldn't come up with a clue for a password in time, the other side got two clues. This was quickly scrapped because it was just too confusing. Super Password also nixed the "play or pass" option.

On all versions, the password had to be an actual word, or a well recognized slang word. (For some reason, Betty White's clue for kiss, "mmmmwah", was allowed, even though it's not a word) Pantomime is never allowed, but you can use your face to some extent. You can smile to convey "happy", but you can't move your eyebrows to convey "eyebrows" (as Bowzer did on one show) or wink to convey "wink".

JMFabiano

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2005, 07:01:33 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Apr 16 2005, 04:48 AM\']Super Password, for the first show only, had a rule that if a player couldn't come up with a clue for a password in time, the other side got two clues. This was quickly scrapped because it was just too confusing. Super Password also nixed the "play or pass" option.
[/quote]

Which reminds me of my post on the other thread on the GSN board...why DID they delete the P/P option when SP came around?  When Family Feud returned, it was understandable that they'd lose the option since passing families were on "I'll put it on account" levels of rarity.  But seeing PW+ again, P/P was a very important strategic move.  

Maybe, since SP was allowing clues once illegal on PW+ and such, they took away pass/play to try and compensate for some lost challenge?  Meaning, if a tough word comes up, you're stuck with it, like it or not.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

GS Warehouse

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2005, 08:20:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Apr 16 2005, 03:17 AM\']Playing Password with some internet aquatinces (bad misspell), I came to wonder: Does anyone have a concise knowledge of what words were allowed on P+ and SP?
[snapback]82087[/snapback]
[/quote]
Yesterday we saw a contestant give the clue "seaside" for the password "seashore", and I was sure that clue would get dit-dit-dit-dit'd, but it wasn't.  Of course, when it came back to her, her next clue was waaaay too close to the password--"seashore".  "Seaside" definitely won't work on any version of Pyramid, that's for sure.

BTW, can you solve this Password Puzzle? :-)

REGULAR
WAREHOUSE
TWELVE
HUNDRED
« Last Edit: April 16, 2005, 08:22:24 PM by GS Warehouse »

JMFabiano

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2005, 11:34:06 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Apr 16 2005, 07:20 PM\'][quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Apr 16 2005, 03:17 AM\']Playing Password with some internet aquatinces (bad misspell), I came to wonder: Does anyone have a concise knowledge of what words were allowed on P+ and SP?
[snapback]82087[/snapback]
[/quote]
Yesterday we saw a contestant give the clue "seaside" for the password "seashore", and I was sure that clue would get dit-dit-dit-dit'd, but it wasn't.  Of course, when it came back to her, her next clue was waaaay too close to the password--"seashore".  "Seaside" definitely won't work on any version of Pyramid, that's for sure.

BTW, can you solve this Password Puzzle? :-)

REGULAR
WAREHOUSE
TWELVE
HUNDRED
[/quote]

<Betty White> The Price is Right???? </Betty>
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

GS Warehouse

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2005, 01:22:01 AM »
[quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'Apr 16 2005, 10:34 PM\']REGULAR
WAREHOUSE
TWELVE
HUNDRED
<Betty White> The Price is Right???? </Betty>
[snapback]82208[/snapback]
[/quote]
<Tom Kennedy>Is it The Price is Right?</Tom>

[bzzzz]

<Tom Kennedy>I liked that show, especially the 1985-86 season.</Tom>
« Last Edit: April 17, 2005, 01:22:27 AM by GS Warehouse »

cmjb13

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2005, 06:45:23 AM »
The other day CNR gave the clue "jacket" for straightjacket.

I'm suprised that didn't get buzzed.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Unrealtor

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2005, 01:42:12 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Apr 17 2005, 05:45 AM\']The other day CNR gave the clue "jacket" for straightjacket.

I'm suprised that didn't get buzzed.
[snapback]82223[/snapback]
[/quote]

...and if the clue didn't give the word to his partner, his immediate cringing at expecting to have it ruled illegal did, IMO. I don't think there was any easy way to get that otherwive, given the first three clues.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

Ian Wallis

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2005, 04:02:30 PM »
Maybe, since SP was allowing clues once illegal on PW+ and such, they took away pass/play to try and compensate for some lost challenge? Meaning, if a tough word comes up, you're stuck with it, like it or not.

I always wondered about that too, but if you have a good team playing against you they could theoretically sweep the puzzle, never giving you a chance.  Maybe taking away the play/pass was an equalizer - as Bert said on many occasions "a bouncer".
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Neumms

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2005, 06:17:04 PM »
Ludden always explained how getting the option was supposed to be an advantage. The team not getting the previous puzzle always started with the option (I think), so it's not as if one team could sweep a whole game.

I was floored when "Miss America" was the password--not a clue, the password itself. Dr. Reason A. Goodwin may still be rolling over in his grave.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2005, 09:38:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Apr 17 2005, 03:17 PM\']I was floored when "Miss America" was the password--not a clue, the password itself. Dr. Reason A. Goodwin may still be rolling over in his grave.
[/quote]
And t'other day, during the "Blockbusters" puzzle, we had "NBC" come up as a Password, which is of course no more a single word than "Miss America" is. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2005, 10:16:56 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Apr 17 2005, 08:38 PM\']And t'other day, during the "Blockbusters" puzzle, we had "NBC" come up as a Password, which is of course no more a single word than "Miss America" is. :)
[snapback]82287[/snapback]
[/quote]
Not like it hadn't happened before.  The (then) three major nets' initials were frequently used as passwords (as were two-word place names like "New York" and "Los Angeles").  Ludden usually justified it by saying, "clues can't be more than one word, but passwords can."

Of course, NBC executives probably cringed every time "ABC" or "CBS" was used.  Any time someone appeared on NBC, if they were doing a non-NBC project invariably they'd be forced to say "on another network" (just in case someone else reading this didn't know that ;-) ).

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

BrandonFG

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2005, 10:23:01 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Apr 17 2005, 09:16 PM\']Of course, NBC executives probably cringed every time "ABC" or "CBS" was used.  Any time someone appeared on NBC, if they were doing a non-NBC project invariably they'd be forced to say "on another network" (just in case someone else reading this didn't know that ;-) ).
[snapback]82292[/snapback]
[/quote]

From Match Game PM:

GENE: Richard has a new show, Family Feud, but unfortunately, we can't mention what network it's on.

RICHARD: Oh, that's OK...what are the first three letters of the alphabet?

GENE: A-B-C.

RICHARD: That's the network it's on.

Yeah, I know PM was syndicated, but it was still a good bit. :-)
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Neumms

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2005, 11:11:56 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Apr 17 2005, 09:16 PM\']
Not like it hadn't happened before.  The (then) three major nets' initials were frequently used as passwords (as were two-word place names like "New York" and "Los Angeles").  Ludden usually justified it by saying, "clues can't be more than one word, but passwords can."

[snapback]82292[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well, with lousy justifications like that, no wonder nobody liked Ludden around the set.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2005, 12:07:06 AM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Apr 17 2005, 10:11 PM\']Well, with lousy justifications like that, no wonder nobody liked Ludden around the set.
[snapback]82296[/snapback]
[/quote]
I would venture to say that it wasn't his decision (although I can't say that for sure).  I'm pretty sure Kennedy (after taking over) and Convy (on SP) said the same thing if and when a password had more than one word and someone got confused ("I thought everything had to be one word!").

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)