Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Prove your nerdiness...  (Read 6323 times)

The Ol' Guy

Prove your nerdiness...
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2005, 10:20:37 AM »
8/10. Fun quiz. Blew Tattletales and the Pyramid record time. There has to be more than just one of us who ever remember watching an episode of Picture This, isn't there? Hopefully?

The Lone Fossil

Matt Ottinger

Prove your nerdiness...
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2005, 11:00:11 AM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Apr 20 2005, 12:36 AM\']I could swear we tackled this quiz a while back.

You'll note I'm too lazy to dig up the thread.[/quote]
It's very similar to one I remember from a while back too, but I don't think it's exactly the same. To the general entertainment-beat writer, there aren't that many interesting facts about game shows, so the same ones keep floating to the top.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

sshuffield70

Prove your nerdiness...
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2005, 02:23:02 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Apr 19 2005, 10:44 PM\']Like the 1992 CBS late night relationship game, I had A Perfect Score. :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Proud "Chuckie Baby")
[snapback]82592[/snapback]
[/quote]

Preferred "Night"Games" to "Perfect Score" (both hosted by Jeff Marder and in the same time slot)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Prove your nerdiness...
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2005, 02:30:46 PM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'Apr 20 2005, 10:20 AM\']8/10. Fun quiz. Blew Tattletales and the Pyramid record time. There has to be more than just one of us who ever remember watching an episode of Picture This, isn't there? Hopefully?

The Lone Fossil
[snapback]82627[/snapback]
[/quote]

THAT's the one that screwed me up! If anybody got that, either you deserve props or need to be committed (just kidding about that last part).
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

The Ol' Guy

Prove your nerdiness...
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2005, 04:07:10 PM »
...no plans for padded-wall interment yet, however, I have been approached by several museums....;-)

I'll double check my dates when I get home, but the one celebrity I remember being on the show was William Bendix (The Life Of Riley). That may have been one of his last appearances, as he died not long after.

For the curious, think the Password set. Two teams, a celeb and a civilian, divided by the host. About all the desk had on it was a set of three round scorekeeping lights under the teams, not much unlike the Face Is Familiar buzz-in lights. On their turn, one of the teammates stood behind the other, who scooted up to what came off to the viewers like an old overhead projector. Each side had their own drawing unit. I'm not sure if the viewing area was a screen or framed in, or whether the light just shone off the stage wall. The standing player (with the picture of the item) gave instructions as the other drew until they could identify the object they were drawing. Very plain, very low-budget, but interesting.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 04:12:07 PM by The Ol' Guy »

uncamark

Prove your nerdiness...
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2005, 04:25:43 PM »
Swept, of course.

That Iowa Channel web site is run by Internet Broadcasting Systems, who also masters several other TV web sites for stations besides Hearst-Argyle, including NBC, all of which tend to share content.  So it's not just Hearst-Argyle.  Mike James of newsblues.com criticizes IBS sites of being confusingly designed and overgimmicky to the point of crashing computers--it's hard not to agree with him.

And I did see "Picture This."  Probably would've liked it, but my mother thought it was another stupid game show (which did owe a slight debt to "Password") and I never saw it again.  This was when there was only one TV in the house and there would not be a second one in my room.  :)

ChuckNet

Prove your nerdiness...
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2005, 10:06:30 PM »
in a 1983 episode with Ken Howard, two couples ended with $0, and Ken had a chance at the whole $1750 - but he missed the last question and got $1450 instead.

Prolly because Bert's dutiful reminder of the fact psyched him out...the question was "Does your spouse think you should be more predictable, or less?"...Ken claimed that he was very predictable, yet he thought wife Margo would think he should be MORE predictable, and you know the result. :-(

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Ryan Bugaj

Prove your nerdiness...
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2005, 10:31:41 PM »
8/10 for me; missed on "Picture This" and the TT question.

But I got the Gambit question right, which is interesting since the only version I remember was the Las Vegas one.

That Don Guy

Prove your nerdiness...
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2005, 10:51:03 PM »
I got 10 out of 10...on the Beverly Hillbillies quiz (and even that one had a mistake; the Clampetts got a lot more than $25 million for their oil).  I only managed 7/10 on the game show one (I missed the three questions about who hosted what show - for some reason, I thought Theisman hosted Trump Card).

-- Don

gtbecbp

Prove your nerdiness...
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2005, 11:44:59 PM »
7 out of 10!!

Great quiz.

Ben

Gromit

Prove your nerdiness...
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2005, 02:05:42 AM »
A measly 6/10. I'll plead extenuating circumstances, as we didn't get American channels ABC, CBS, or NBC until well into the 80's. Only KVOS would creep in from Bellingham.

Now, if they would have asked about Definition, Reach for the Top, or This is the Law, I'd have aced it. :)

Mike Tennant

Prove your nerdiness...
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2005, 09:57:47 AM »
A coworker pointed this out to me on our local version (thepittsburghchannel.com) the other day.  I tried it and ended up with 9/10.  I missed the Gambit one.  Having never seen the show nor read the opening spiel, I had no idea.  It sounded like an opening Card Sharks poem with a bad rhyme, so that's what I guessed.  I only got the Picture This question because I'd read this recent thread and clicked on the link about the home game on eBay.  Otherwise I would probably have picked Buddy Hackett.

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
Prove your nerdiness...
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2005, 10:38:24 AM »
And I'm one of the 93% who bombed the TT question. Otherwise, got 'em all. And I GUESSED on the "Picture This" question.
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

Tim L

Prove your nerdiness...
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2005, 04:19:19 PM »
Just took the Restaurant quiz I got 5 out of 8 right..I've been at the first Wendy's In Columbus.Like a Museum almost..But its still operating

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Prove your nerdiness...
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2005, 02:09:56 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Apr 19 2005, 09:31 PM\']Of course, some of those are ones only game show geeks would most likely get..Looking forward to your quiz eventually as well, Mark.
[/quote]
Well, I got an email this week saying the quiz will be published on the 30th.  Hope y'all enjoy it...it should be avaiable on any Hearst-Argyle station's website.
--Mark
Phil 4:13