Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Chuck's talk show  (Read 2882 times)

The Pyramids

Chuck's talk show
« on: April 30, 2005, 02:58:25 PM »
Does anyone have any information on Chuck Woolery's talk show of many years ago? Was it a typical desk & guest setup?

I imagine he had better clearances at the time with 'Love Connection.'

tvrandywest

Chuck's talk show
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2005, 03:23:06 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'Apr 30 2005, 10:58 AM\']Does anyone have any information on Chuck Woolery's talk show of many years ago? Was it a typical desk & guest setup?
[snapback]83947[/snapback]
[/quote]
Yea, I announced that dog! Snappy video opening, live band, monologue, then to the 90s pastel blue and green set; chairs-no desk. 65 episodes. KTLA (Tribune) stage 9. Eric Lieber, Jake Tauber, Charlie Collaruso.

As the inside word was that Carson would be stepping down soon, the show was Eric Lieber's creation. He saw an opportunity to develop current credits for Chuck as a talk host capable of handling a network chat fest.  Johnny did, Chuck didn't.

Fair ratings, similar to Jennie Jones' that debuted that same season. The demise was the result of politics that downgraded our clearance in New York. Chuck and I laughed at the whole experience a dozen years later when we shared the stage at TPiR-Live in 2004.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: April 30, 2005, 07:37:21 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

mystery7

Chuck's talk show
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2005, 06:25:11 PM »
Yeah, that was a great opening. Chuck skateboarded his way down the Hollywood Walk Of Fame. Two guys moved something across the street and Chuck ducked it on the skateboard - except on the last episode. Pretty clever.

dizzy

Chuck's talk show
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2005, 02:54:02 AM »
Hey I attended a few tapings of Chuck's talk show. I had no idea you were the announcer Randy. It's funny to realize that you and I were in the same room together long before I even knew who you were. Just to think that before tonight, I never even knew I've ever been anywhere near You! It's funny the things you learn when you visit this forum.

Let this be a lesson to everyone. Pay attention to WHO the unknown announcer is even if you don't really give a crap at the time. One day he may become somebody you really like! :-)

Dizzy

ChuckNet

Chuck's talk show
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2005, 11:10:08 PM »
I remember Chuck's show, and it wasn't half-bad, especially that announcer...whatever became of him? :-D And one of his guests, as I recall, was the host of a certain long-running CBS game about the pricing of products...

Too bad it fell victim to Orion's Ch. 11 filing in 1991, which also resulted in the shelving of Robocop 3 for about 2 yrs and the demise of a possible revival of Gambit for ABC, which would've been hosted by Bob Eubanks...by the time Group W picked up Chuck's show, a number of stations that originally signed on had dropped it, resulting in a number of markets where it wasn't seen (Providence, RI comes to mind) or got less-than-desirable time slots (in Boston, Group W-owned WBZ [Ch. 4] aired TCWS at 11 AM, opposite the aforementioned CBS merchandise-pricing GS).

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

aaron sica

Chuck's talk show
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2005, 11:13:07 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'May 1 2005, 11:10 PM\']and the demise of a possible revival of Gambit for ABC, which would've been hosted by Bob Eubanks...
[snapback]84060[/snapback]
[/quote]

I wonder if that would have been what possibly could have killed "Home", brought MG90 to an earlier time slot, and freed up the noon slot to the affiliates.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Chuck's talk show
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2005, 06:07:51 AM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'May 1 2005, 10:13 PM\'][quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'May 1 2005, 11:10 PM\']and the demise of a possible revival of Gambit for ABC, which would've been hosted by Bob Eubanks...
[snapback]84060[/snapback]
[/quote]

I wonder if that would have been what possibly could have killed "Home", brought MG90 to an earlier time slot, and freed up the noon slot to the affiliates.
[snapback]84061[/snapback]
[/quote]
Well, if they didn't file until 1991; I don't see how the two occurances would have any effect on one another--MG was always at noon, wasn't it?
--Mark
Phil 4:13