Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Family Feud '88  (Read 9448 times)

FeudDude

Family Feud '88
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2005, 01:03:38 AM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' date=\'May 11 2005, 12:34 AM\']So they're not all Chris Lemon in disguise?
[snapback]85000[/snapback]
[/quote]

No...some of them are Zach Horan in disguise ;-)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Family Feud '88
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2005, 04:57:49 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'May 10 2005, 07:26 PM\']
Where the HELL do you see anything in Curt's post about Richard Dawson?
I see Lemon's logged on as Steve Gavazzi. I'll get right on it.
[snapback]84983[/snapback]
[/quote]
Not so. I would have used the phrase "blue hell". :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

joshg

Family Feud '88
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2005, 07:41:15 AM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' date=\'May 10 2005, 08:34 PM\']So they're not all Chris Lemon in disguise?
[/quote]

...with glasses...
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

JMFabiano

Family Feud '88
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2005, 08:51:13 AM »
Ahem...getting back to the original topic...if Bill Rafferty WAS the host of FF88, how would you think its "legacy," so to say, would have changed?  Would it too be a victim of the "Rafferty Curse"; i.e. only last a season?  Would it have run pretty much the same course the Combs era did?  Pretty much the same with variations?  Or longer?  (Thus, ala TPIR, we may have even still had "classic" Feud now, no Louie or DOUBLING THE POINTS, etc)
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

cmjb13

Family Feud '88
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2005, 09:14:23 AM »
[quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'May 11 2005, 08:51 AM\']Ahem...getting back to the original topic...if Bill Rafferty WAS the host of FF88, how would you think its "legacy," so to say, would have changed?  Would it too be a victim of the "Rafferty Curse"; i.e. only last a season?  Would it have run pretty much the same course the Combs era did?  Pretty much the same with variations?  Or longer?  (Thus, ala TPIR, we may have even still had "classic" Feud now, no Louie or DOUBLING THE POINTS, etc)
[snapback]85019[/snapback]
[/quote]
Of course this is all speculation, but I don't think it would have ran for 6 years under Rafferty.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

uncamark

Family Feud '88
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2005, 03:51:29 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'May 11 2005, 08:14 AM\'][quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'May 11 2005, 08:51 AM\']Ahem...getting back to the original topic...if Bill Rafferty WAS the host of FF88, how would you think its "legacy," so to say, would have changed?  Would it too be a victim of the "Rafferty Curse"; i.e. only last a season?  Would it have run pretty much the same course the Combs era did?  Pretty much the same with variations?  Or longer?  (Thus, ala TPIR, we may have even still had "classic" Feud now, no Louie or DOUBLING THE POINTS, etc)
[snapback]85019[/snapback]
[/quote]
Of course this is all speculation, but I don't think it would have ran for 6 years under Rafferty.
[snapback]85024[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hard to say--my personal belief is that the game itself is strong enough that it would've had the same run if Allen Ludden's corpse had hosted.  (And we haven't gotten too much better than that with the current version.)  What it would still not be is the ratings smash it was with Dawson.  As much as you may not like the guy, he gave "Feud" an edge in its original incarnation that no other host (or an older version of himself) was able to do.

As for Rafferty?  Same thing as Combs--six years of respectable daytime and syndication ratings, but as time went on in syndication, lesser time slots, lesser stations and lesser expectations.

JMFabiano

Family Feud '88
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2005, 06:16:03 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'May 11 2005, 02:51 PM\']
Hard to say--my personal belief is that the game itself is strong enough that it would've had the same run if Allen Ludden's corpse had hosted. 
[/quote]

Must...not....ask THAT question...;-)
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
Family Feud '88
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2005, 06:47:19 PM »
[quote name=\'matchgame\' date=\'May 11 2005, 06:41 AM\'][quote name=\'mystery7\' date=\'May 10 2005, 08:34 PM\']So they're not all Chris Lemon in disguise?
[/quote]

...with glasses...
[snapback]85014[/snapback]
[/quote]

[font=\"Times\"] LINE[/font]
OF THE[/color]
DAY

RIP John Fred.

Ok, back on topic-----quite honestly, I've noticed a frightening similarity between Rafferty and Combs, in a way----their enthusiasm, their wit, not to mention slight physical resemblance. He probably woulda been a good fit for Feud.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 06:50:34 PM by Chief-O »
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

ChuckNet

Family Feud '88
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2005, 08:32:50 PM »
I don't think Rafferty would've been a bad fit, either...if you remember his first GS, Every Second Counts, he would joke about the answers (the emphasis was on comedy, w/the couples determining whether or not answers fit a certain category like "Real Jello flavors" or "Tuna brand or spyplane?"), something not at all uncommon on FF, and I could easily see him handling it well.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

dale_grass

Family Feud '88
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2005, 12:54:16 AM »
How about Goodson bringing Feud to New York with Rafferty at the helm (assuming it were at all feasable)?  Would the East Coast locale with an East Coast host have fared as good as Combs/California?  Or would it have crashed and burned?

(Please note that I did NOT call Richard Dawson.)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 12:54:54 AM by dale_grass »

uncamark

Family Feud '88
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2005, 12:40:25 PM »
[quote name=\'dale_grass\' date=\'May 11 2005, 11:54 PM\']How about Goodson bringing Feud to New York with Rafferty at the helm (assuming it were at all feasable)?  Would the East Coast locale with an East Coast host have fared as good as Combs/California?  Or would it have crashed and burned?
[snapback]85166[/snapback]
[/quote]

The story was that Goodson had considered doing "Feud" in New York to begin with, since he felt that southern California couldn't provide a diverse enough pool of families (and before anyone did out-of-town contestant searches).  Perhaps Dawson didn't want to commute.  They still found families of every race, creed, color and nationality.

It could've been possible, considering that the Combs version did have a contestant office in New York run by Edye Chan and Rae Pichon (and Dick DeBartolo was doing material from New York).  But they kept the show in LA.

Don Howard

Family Feud '88
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2005, 02:24:16 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'May 12 2005, 11:40 AM\']They still found families of every race, creed, color and nationality.
[snapback]85219[/snapback]
[/quote]
And as Richard implied in his farewell address of twenty years ago, those bigots at MGP never would've allowed a diversification of races and cultures if it weren't for Richard declaring that it must be so.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Family Feud '88
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2005, 02:32:16 PM »
But of course.  Because Richard Dawson is the world's best emcee, and he should get credit for everything; including having contestants suck on sticks right on stage.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Don Howard

Family Feud '88
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2005, 02:34:37 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'May 12 2005, 01:32 PM\']But of course.  Because Richard Dawson is the world's best emcee, and he should get credit for everything; including having contestants suck on sticks right on stage.
[snapback]85242[/snapback]
[/quote]
Yes, hard to believe Spencer Christian was chosen over him to host Triple Threat, isn't it?

calliaume

Family Feud '88
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2005, 02:40:36 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'May 12 2005, 11:40 AM\'][quote name=\'dale_grass\' date=\'May 11 2005, 11:54 PM\']How about Goodson bringing Feud to New York with Rafferty at the helm (assuming it were at all feasable)?  Would the East Coast locale with an East Coast host have fared as good as Combs/California?  Or would it have crashed and burned?
[snapback]85166[/snapback]
[/quote]

The story was that Goodson had considered doing "Feud" in New York to begin with, since he felt that southern California couldn't provide a diverse enough pool of families (and before anyone did out-of-town contestant searches).  Perhaps Dawson didn't want to commute.  They still found families of every race, creed, color and nationality.

It could've been possible, considering that the Combs version did have a contestant office in New York run by Edye Chan and Rae Pichon (and Dick DeBartolo was doing material from New York).  But they kept the show in LA.
[snapback]85219[/snapback]
[/quote]
I honestly don't think it occurs to many viewers where the shows tape - or that it would have made a difference to the audience if Rafferty sounded more at home amongst New Yawkers.

Finding suitable facilities in New york for game shows has gotten more difficult since the genre moved west - I don't know that there's a good place anymore.  At NBC, 8H and 6A are now taken up by Saturday Night Live and Late Night, I believe, and the Sullivan is now used by The Late Show.  Many of the facilities ABC used in the '60s and '70s are gone.  Millionaire was in some studio wayyyyy over on the West Side that would have been too small for Feud.

Nice to know that Edye Chan, who'd been contestant coordinator for many of Bob Stewart's shows, and Rae Pichon (who I remember getting an odd shout-out in one of Dick DeBartolo's Mad books) were still working into the '90s.

EDIT:  If I had been Mark Goodson in 1988 (fat chance) and was willing to tape the show in New York to accommodate a host (same), the first guy I'd call wouldn't be Rafferty, it would have been Gene Rayburn.  Yeah, he was getting up there, but it would have been an easy and fun show for him to do, and both Gene and Mark would have enjoyed seeing Dawson's head explode.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 03:06:54 PM by calliaume »