Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wheel's Shopping Era  (Read 5078 times)

golden-road

Wheel's Shopping Era
« on: May 11, 2005, 06:27:49 PM »
Did anybody buy a car during Wheel's shopping era, and if the bonus round was in effect when it happened, could the player try for the same car, or did they have to choose another prize?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Wheel's Shopping Era
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 07:22:55 PM »
[quote name=\'golden-road\' date=\'May 11 2005, 03:27 PM\']Did anybody buy a car during Wheel's shopping era,
[/quote]
Many times.
and if the bonus round was in effect when it happened, could the player try for the same car, or did they have to choose another prize?
I am fairly sure that if they bought a starred prize (which is how prize selection worked in the shopping era....several of the prices had large foil stars next to their price tags, which meant that prize was eligible to be selected as a bonus prize), then they owned that starred prize, and they had to select something else. Now, if there were two seperate cars out there, and they bought one during the front game, they certainly could select the other one for the bonus.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 07:23:05 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

ChuckNet

Wheel's Shopping Era
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 08:17:18 PM »
I am fairly sure that if they bought a starred prize (which is how prize selection worked in the shopping era....several of the prices had large foil stars next to their price tags, which meant that prize was eligible to be selected as a bonus prize), then they owned that starred prize, and they had to select something else.

You are correct...in fact, there was one ep during the 2nd syndie season where a player racked up $27.5K in round 3, and what did she buy? You guessed it...BOTH cars offered that night, so she played the bonus round for some expensive jewelry instead.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

zachhoran

Wheel's Shopping Era
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 08:22:21 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'May 11 2005, 07:17 PM\']
I am fairly sure that if they bought a starred prize (which is how prize selection worked in the shopping era....several of the prices had large foil stars next to their price tags, which meant that prize was eligible to be selected as a bonus prize), then they owned that starred prize, and they had to select something else.

You are correct...in fact, there was one ep during the 2nd syndie season where a player racked up $27.5K in round 3, and what did she buy? You guessed it...BOTH cars offered that night, so she played the bonus round for some expensive jewelry instead.

[snapback]85105[/snapback]
[/quote]

The $27,500 win was on the puzzle Due To Circumstances Beyond our Control IIRC. The same applies to the contestant in 1987 that won $44,300 on the puzzle An AMerican Success Story, except that that lady won a third car as the special prize on the round two wheel.

BrandonFG

Wheel's Shopping Era
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 10:25:43 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'May 11 2005, 07:22 PM\'][quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'May 11 2005, 07:17 PM\']

[snapback]85105[/snapback]
[/quote]

The $27,500 win was on the puzzle Due To Circumstances Beyond our Control IIRC. The same applies to the contestant in 1987 that won $44,300 on the puzzle An AMerican Success Story, except that that lady won a third car as the special prize on the round two wheel.
[snapback]85106[/snapback]
[/quote]

Trying to meet your irrelevant fact of the week quota yet, Zach?
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

brianhenke

Wheel's Shopping Era
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 11:33:40 PM »
Also, someone won a car when he/she solved PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN in the mid-1980s.

Brian

100 plus 100 equals 600?
The leaves start to change color in May?

BrandonFG

Wheel's Shopping Era
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 12:57:07 AM »
[quote name=\'brianhenke\' date=\'May 11 2005, 10:33 PM\']Also, someone won a car when he/she solved PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN in the mid-1980s.
[snapback]85149[/snapback]
[/quote]

Good for them, Brian.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Craig Karlberg

Wheel's Shopping Era
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2005, 05:27:27 AM »
I'm sure most cars back then were around $5K or $6K & some maybe more than $10K.  That makes me wonder what constituted having a star next to a prize besides being eligable for bonus round play.  By that I mean, what sort of "minimum" dollar value warrants a prize getting a star?

zachhoran

Wheel's Shopping Era
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2005, 07:57:41 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'May 12 2005, 04:27 AM\']I'm sure most cars back then were around $5K or $6K & some maybe more than $10K.  That makes me wonder what constituted having a star next to a prize besides being eligable for bonus round play.  By that I mean, what sort of "minimum" dollar value warrants a prize getting a star?
[snapback]85186[/snapback]
[/quote]

There were starred prizes on the daytime show in the 80s that were less than $1000. As reported here last year, one bonus round in 1982 had the contestant playing for a $300 set of bunk beds, I'm not kidding. The syndicated show's starred prizes started a bit more expensive, naturally.

The Pyramids

Wheel's Shopping Era
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2005, 08:35:26 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'May 12 2005, 04:27 AM\']I'm sure most cars back then were around $5K or $6K & some maybe more than $10K.  That makes me wonder what constituted having a star next to a prize besides being eligable for bonus round play.  By that I mean, what sort of "minimum" dollar value warrants a prize getting a star?
[snapback]85186[/snapback]
[/quote]

The syndicated show had appoximately $20,000 Oldsmobile Torandos (just like my dad had at the time) and sport cars. There was a big difernce in bonus prizes in the brand new Kingworld version.

Don Howard

Wheel's Shopping Era
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2005, 09:00:23 AM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'May 12 2005, 07:35 AM\']The syndicated show had appoximately $20,000 Oldsmobile Torandos (just like my dad had at the time) and sport cars. There was a big difernce in bonus prizes in the brand new Kingworld version.
[snapback]85198[/snapback]
[/quote]
It should be noted that at no time was Richard Dawson considered for the syndicated version of Wheel Of Fortune as Merv Griffin was too busy allegedly hating John Harlan.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 09:00:33 AM by Don Howard »

starcade

Wheel's Shopping Era
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2005, 08:02:44 PM »
[quote name=\'golden-road\' date=\'May 11 2005, 05:27 PM\']Did anybody buy a car during Wheel's shopping era, and if the bonus round was in effect when it happened, could the player try for the same car, or did they have to choose another prize?
[snapback]85093[/snapback]
[/quote]

Usually a big production was made when a contestant was at or near the price of a car in the shopping era (when they were offered), and the crowd erupted when the gleeful winning contestant took the car.  The bonus round question has been answered.

uncamark

Wheel's Shopping Era
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2005, 07:39:04 PM »
[quote name=\'starcade\' date=\'May 12 2005, 07:02 PM\'][quote name=\'golden-road\' date=\'May 11 2005, 05:27 PM\']Did anybody buy a car during Wheel's shopping era, and if the bonus round was in effect when it happened, could the player try for the same car, or did they have to choose another prize?
[snapback]85093[/snapback]
[/quote]

Usually a big production was made when a contestant was at or near the price of a car in the shopping era (when they were offered), and the crowd erupted when the gleeful winning contestant took the car.  The bonus round question has been answered.
[snapback]85292[/snapback]
[/quote]

And it seemed to me that Chuck would sometimes point out that the player was near the price of the car in his/her back before they decided what to do--seems to me that when a contestant said, "I'd like to solve," he reminded them that they were close to a trip.  The contestant still said, "I'd like to solve."

And most of the time, it was a real crowd eruption, not Mother MacKenzie, when the contestant said "...I'd like to buy the car!"  I remember Susan driving the car out (or the stagehands pushing it off-camera) and her banging away on the horn while Charlie O attempted to read the plug copy.

A few minutes later, some guy named Sajak would bang on the studio door--"Will ya hold it down, Stafford?  I'm trying to do the weather next door!"  :)

BrandonFG

Wheel's Shopping Era
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2005, 09:08:15 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'May 16 2005, 06:39 PM\']And most of the time, it was a real crowd eruption, not Mother MacKenzie, when the contestant said "...I'd like to buy the car!"  I remember Susan driving the car out (or the stagehands pushing it off-camera) and her banging away on the horn while Charlie O attempted to read the plug copy.
[snapback]85631[/snapback]
[/quote]

But Peter Marshall said it was only about 7 people in the audience. Couldn't have been but SO much noise made. ;-)