Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fascinating Fact  (Read 5026 times)

Don Howard

Fascinating Fact
« on: May 19, 2005, 02:51:00 PM »
For the most part, the exceptions being the few posts about the structure of the tournament, virtually nothing has been noted in these pages dealing with the recently completed Family Feud tournament of champions. Even Street Smarts is getting better buzz.
I didn't even know the darned tourney was in progress until I landed on the station by happenstance last Thursday.
$80000 is won and nary a mention.
Very telling indeed.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2005, 02:51:24 PM by Don Howard »

daveromanjr

Fascinating Fact
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 07:00:06 PM »
Oh the INSANITY

DrJWJustice

Fascinating Fact
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 08:06:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'May 19 2005, 01:51 PM\']For the most part, the exceptions being the few posts about the structure of the tournament, virtually nothing has been noted in these pages dealing with the recently completed Family Feud tournament of champions. Even Street Smarts is getting better buzz.
I didn't even know the darned tourney was in progress until I landed on the station by happenstance last Thursday.
$80000 is won and nary a mention.
Very telling indeed.
[snapback]85841[/snapback]
[/quote]

It tells me what we, the genre's biggest fans, think of the current incarnation of Family Feud.  Frankly, I'm amazed it's lasted this long.  I didn't give it two seasons when Louie Anderson first started, and it wasn't because of his hosting style.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Fascinating Fact
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2005, 12:02:12 AM »
A few things to ponder:

What time does Feud air in your area, and on what network?  In Seattle, it's 9 (double at 9:30), on our WB affiliate.  Not prime TV real estate.  What good would advertising do?  The word had been out on a couple of sites, and the shows looked diffferent enough so you knew it was a tournament.  If people don't want to discuss it, there's not much that can be done.

I don't see what all the fuss is about with Richard.  He's no Richard D. or Ray, but I think he does a fine job, and the game is so good that I look past whatever shortcomings he has.

While I can understand why many out there don't like the show, it's a game show.  If it weren't there, what would likely replace it?  Something that's not a game show.  I think we should take every foothold on the schedule we get, and worry about having good game shows when we get back to the times of the late 1980s and so on.
If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.

DrJWJustice

Fascinating Fact
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2005, 12:12:14 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'May 19 2005, 11:02 PM\']While I can understand why many out there don't like the show, it's a game show.  If it weren't there, what would likely replace it?  Something that's not a game show.  I think we should take every foothold on the schedule we get, and worry about having good game shows when we get back to the times of the late 1980s and so on.
[snapback]85867[/snapback]
[/quote]

I don't think we can turn back the clock to the glory days we knew back then.  But, let's not forget that the primetime quiz had a HUGE following in its day, fizzled out after the scandals, some cheap game shows came along, and then the 80s happened.  This stuff goes in cycles.  There was the Millionaire fad in the late 90s/early 00s, but I'd have to hope that better days for the genre lie ahead.  

I'm not at all critical of Karn -- to me, he's obviously having fun, which is what's most important to me.  My criticism is of the whole package, and it's at times like this when I wish the dearly departed Randy Amasia were here to answer, because he could voice my sentiments about it -- he held the same ones -- far better than I can.

Craig Karlberg

Fascinating Fact
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2005, 04:31:17 AM »
Believe me, Randy definitely would hold those same sentiments if he's still alive(but he's not).

As far as FF airings, in my area, the only station that carries it is from 69 WFMZ-TV(Ind) from Allentown PA.  It airs FF at 9 PM(double-run with a new episode at 9:30 each night) though they may air it at 7 PM because of special programing at the 9 PM hour like the Tuesday PA primary election coverage.

urbanpreppie05

Fascinating Fact
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2005, 08:50:25 AM »
It's nice to see I'm not the only one that actually -gasp- enjoys this version of feud. It will probably NEVER be the way it was, but it's still an enjoyable way to spend a half hour. Richard does need to stop screaming so much, BUT when he's not doing that, he is clearly enjoying himself, and having fun. (I think he's amazing at the Halloween shows, though)

The only problem is, Feud airs at 9-10 AM when I have class, work, or school.
insert signature here

zachhoran

Fascinating Fact
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2005, 09:00:31 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'May 20 2005, 03:31 AM\']Believe me, Randy definitely would hold those same sentiments if he's still alive(but he's not).

As far as FF airings, in my area, the only station that carries it is from 69 WFMZ-TV(Ind) from Allentown PA.  It airs FF at 9 PM(double-run with a new episode at 9:30 each night) though they may air it at 7 PM because of special programing at the 9 PM hour like the Tuesday PA primary election coverage.
[snapback]85873[/snapback]
[/quote]

Would an independent station preempt programming for something news-related, particularly if they don't have a news department?

BrandonFG

Fascinating Fact
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2005, 10:27:38 AM »
I will admit, I do enjoy the show when I have time to catch it, but I'm usually sleep during the day, and when I'm awake, it airs against TPiR (11-noon). If WTVZ would either switch it back to noon-1, or better yet, 5-6 pm (before Ryan Seacrest's flop debuted), then I would have a better shot at watching it.

Just tone done the atmosphere and it'll be fine. Although I'd no longer have any HOLY DOUBLE THE POINTS BATMAN! jokes. ;-)
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

cmjb13

Fascinating Fact
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2005, 11:04:08 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'May 20 2005, 10:27 AM\']I will admit, I do enjoy the show when I have time to catch it, but I'm usually sleep during the day, and when I'm awake, it airs against TPiR (11-noon). If WTVZ would either switch it back to noon-1, or better yet, 5-6 pm (before Ryan Seacrest's flop debuted), then I would have a better shot at watching it.

Just tone done the atmosphere and it'll be fine. Although I'd no longer have any HOLY DOUBLE THE POINTS BATMAN! jokes. ;-)
[snapback]85898[/snapback]
[/quote]
I've been told, as if it wasn't obvious, that he says that with no ryhme or reason behind it.

So I'd gather "I'm so horny, I'm DOUBLING THE POINTS", isn't out of the realm of possibility.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Particleman

Fascinating Fact
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2005, 12:37:37 PM »
Feud airs on our UPN station here in Durham, NC from 12:00p -- 1:00p.  I'm at work when it comes on and most other people are watching local news at that time.  PAX airs reruns of it at 7:30p.  I caught the PAX airing at 7:30 yesterday.  Being a big fan of Family Feud, I hate to admit  it but I had to turn it off last night after the first couple of rounds.  Richard, in my mind, is tolerable but the constant clapping and shouting of contestants and audience members got annoying very quickly.  Maybe it's just my recent sensitivity to noise...

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Fascinating Fact
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2005, 02:59:59 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'May 20 2005, 08:04 AM\']So I'd gather "I'm so horny, I'm DOUBLING THE POINTS", isn't out of the realm of possibility.
[/quote]
"I've got a FEVER. And the only PRESCRIPTION....is DOUBLING THE POINTS!"
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Johnissoevil

Fascinating Fact
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2005, 03:11:07 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'May 20 2005, 08:50 AM\']It's nice to see I'm not the only one that actually -gasp- enjoys this version of feud. It will probably NEVER be the way it was, but it's still an enjoyable way to spend a half hour. Richard does need to stop screaming so much, BUT when he's not doing that, he is clearly enjoying himself, and having fun. (I think he's amazing at the Halloween shows, though)

The only problem is, Feud airs at 9-10 AM when I have class, work, or school.
[snapback]85884[/snapback]
[/quote]

I've enjoyed the current Feud from the time it premiered in 1999.  Yes, Ray is my favorite host out of the four, but the game is still the same, still fun to watch after all these years.  Yes, Louie did annoy me with his raspy voice and yelling "LET'S SEE IT, IS IT UP THERE?"  Imagine how bad the show would be if Patrick Wayne were presiding over the proceedings, yelling "YOU'RE RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!" when an answer made the survey.

As for what time and station it airs here, our Fox affiliate, WNYW, carries the double run at 4 in the afternoon.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2005, 03:12:51 PM by Johnissoevil »
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

uncamark

Fascinating Fact
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2005, 04:21:42 PM »
WCIU in Chicago took it out of prime time at the beginning of the year.  Both runs air back-to-back at 9 a.m. (they were running back-to-back at noon for a while).  They're going to lose "CJ" at 7:30 p.m. (after that "Insider" show with what's-his-name) this fall, so there's a possibility "Feud" could come back, but I doubt it.

Karn seems like a nice guy, but I haven't seen any real growth in his performance over three years and I don't think they're doing anything to make him better.  And the production decisions just seem to do him in--including that whole "DOUBLE THE POINTS!" silliness.

The bad thing is that no one really cares--since they're not trying to go for record numbers, they're satisified with that they're getting and there's no passion to make the show better.  It's just perfunctory clock-punching from all concerned.

FeudDude

Fascinating Fact
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2005, 04:25:34 PM »
Yes, now that I think about it, I've also found that I don't care all that much about the current version of Feud.  It's not something I go out of my way to watch, and even when I have the TV on when it airs, I'm more likely to tune into the Dawson/Combs hour airing on GSN at the same time.  

I think the main reason why it's staying alive is because it's an easy cash cow for Fremantle.  The show is cheap to produce, so as long as it's getting modest ratings, they'll make a profit on it.  At this point, Fremantle probably wants to play it safe, rather than taking a risk with another new production, especially considering that all their other revival attempts were total flops.