Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: KenJen and Michael Davies to launch game show  (Read 4093 times)

inturnaround

KenJen and Michael Davies to launch game show
« on: May 23, 2005, 05:16:24 PM »
Ken Jennings and Michael Davies are teaming up with Comedy Central to launch a new game show next year for Comedy Central, the channel announced today.

No details on title or game play just yet.

For more, check out the article here.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

tvwxman

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 05:51:58 PM »
"Win Ken Jennings Money". I called it months ago.

Congrats to Davies for freshening up the format the (just about) only way he could.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2005, 12:20:11 AM »
This could work. I wish it the success that Ben Stein had. The genre could use some more straight-laced trivia games.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

GS Warehouse

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2005, 12:35:39 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'May 23 2005, 11:20 PM\']This could work. I wish it the success that Ben Stein had. The genre could use some more straight-laced trivia games.
[snapback]86314[/snapback]
[/quote]
Agreed, with the emphasis on "straight-laced".  In its heyday, WBSM was still not as much about the game as it was about the banter between Ben and Jimmy.  OK, so it worked until Jimmy left, but we can say it's been done.  Please don't stick Ken with a smarmy comedian.

uncamark

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2005, 03:07:42 PM »
Here's how Davies described the show to the Washington Post's Lisa de Moraes (should be fair use):

"What I want to explore is Ken Jennings as Peter Parker or Clark Kent, Spider-Man or Superman -- the normal man-superhero parallax, the normal, meek guy who, put in a competitive situation, becomes a killer," Davies told The TV Column. "Think 'Price Is Right' with games of skill and intelligence in a multi-game format. Explore Ken against . . . the rest of the world and in national costumes when we can get it."

------------

So it's not going to be "WBSM" in a new wrapper, but something like a "TPIR" for brainiacs.  The whole solo mini-game concept (if that what it's going to be) hasn't really been tried out other than "TPIR," so it'll be interesting to see what Davies is going to do with it.

But I would expect a comic type for Ken to play straight man to--this is Comedy Central, after all.

goongas

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2005, 05:22:01 PM »
Here is a link to the article:

Ken Jennings Game Show Article

The Pyramids

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2005, 06:50:21 PM »
I look forward to seeing it.

I know how Comedy Cenrtral has worked w/ Valleycrest before. Still note on the day this is announced GSN releases a press release for their new pool and documentary show no one notices.

Imagine the coverage they could of recieved had they pursued something like this instead.

ilb4ever2000

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2005, 07:25:10 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'May 24 2005, 05:50 PM\']I look forward to seeing it.

I know how Comedy Cenrtral has worked w/ Valleycrest before. Still note on the day this is announced GSN releases a press release for their new pool and documentary show no one notices.

Imagine the coverage they could of recieved had they pursued something like this instead.
[snapback]86390[/snapback]
[/quote]

GSN should have been one of the first to jump on the Ken Jennings bandwagon, but they didn't. Is their relationship with Sony that bad? Are they that put off by dealing with traditional game shows in their prime slots?

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2005, 09:09:59 PM »
[quote name=\'ilb4ever2000\' date=\'May 24 2005, 07:25 PM\']GSN should have been one of the first to jump on the Ken Jennings bandwagon, but they didn't. Is their relationship with Sony that bad? Are they that put off by dealing with traditional game shows in their prime slots?
[snapback]86393[/snapback]
[/quote]

Since when did Ken Jennings become property of Sony?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

BrandonFG

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2005, 10:57:24 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' date=\'May 24 2005, 08:09 PM\'][quote name=\'ilb4ever2000\' date=\'May 24 2005, 07:25 PM\']GSN should have been one of the first to jump on the Ken Jennings bandwagon, but they didn't. Is their relationship with Sony that bad? Are they that put off by dealing with traditional game shows in their prime slots?
[/quote]

[snapback]86407[/snapback]
[/quote]

I think it's more a reference to Ken's appearance on J!, and GSN might not want to cash in on the success. Speculation, but that's what I got out of it.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

uncamark

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2005, 02:26:14 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'May 24 2005, 09:57 PM\'][quote name=\'PYLdude\' date=\'May 24 2005, 08:09 PM\'][quote name=\'ilb4ever2000\' date=\'May 24 2005, 07:25 PM\']GSN should have been one of the first to jump on the Ken Jennings bandwagon, but they didn't. Is their relationship with Sony that bad? Are they that put off by dealing with traditional game shows in their prime slots?
[/quote]

[snapback]86407[/snapback]
[/quote]

I think it's more a reference to Ken's appearance on J!, and GSN might not want to cash in on the success. Speculation, but that's what I got out of it.
[snapback]86428[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yeah, it is strange--although KW may not've wanted to release the shows to GSN so soon for repurposing.

Also, the ratings spike "J!" received may've been so unexpected that GSN didn't know what to do with it.  Also, at the time of Ken's run, there may've been a feeling that hyping a studio game that wasn't "Dog Eat Dog" or "WWTBAM" was not part of the new regime.

BTW, another article I saw does confirm that Ken will have a comedic sidekick co-host to call him a dweeb and Poindexter frequently.  :)